Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether it is possible to arrange collection of a new car from Germany?
Has anyone done this?
Does it save any money off the price of the car?
How easy is it to register the car in the UK?
Does the car come with UK plates, or do you need to register it once back in the UK?
How easy was insurance to arrange?
Any pointers or experiences welcome.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
It's called European Delivery for us, but given that you're in Europe, I'm not sure what it's called for you! But I can't imagine that Audi wouldn't have a program for anyone in any other country to take delivery in Ingolstadt, for loyalty purposes alone. Have you searched around the Audi UK site?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I talked with my dealer about this and he said it's sometimes possible for Europeans to do it. It sounded a bit strange but he said I could not pick mine up in Germany this time because they were rebuilding the factory or something.

But as I understood it, I would have had to pay an extra ~600 Euro and would get the licenseplates and all the "paper work" (for import) would be done before. So I would then just go there, put the plates on the car and then drive home just as if I had got the car at the dealer.

That all info I got, hopefully someone else has some real life experience about this and can share.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As far as I'm aware we in the UK can't do this. Great shame, and I'm tempted to buy a new Mercedes at least once in my life, just so I can book the trip that they offer.
With Merc, for the same 'delivery' cost, they fly you and a partner to Stuttgart, put you up in a fancy hotel and then next day you have a VIP tour of the factory, and wating for you at the end of the production line is your car.
I believe the car comes registered in Germany, with German plates. On entry to the UK you have to pay import duty and VAT and once you've paid the taxes you can register it as 'new' over here on British plates

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chas,
Thanks for the info - I'll try my dealer, but guess it looks like it's not an option.
Ho hum!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
If You yourself want to go direct to a german dealer (because I don't believe you can order DIRECT from the factory), then you may do so. But the reality of it is, as ChasTT has said, you'll also have such things as import Tax, and VAT to pay on whichever car you import.

If the car's over 6 months old, then if i remember correctly, it brings the import costs down quite dramatically.

Have a look at this page below... it will tell you everything you need to know:
http://www.topgear.com/content/buyersguides/08/3.html

Unfortunately, sometimes it isn't worth it, because our government don't like you taking business outside our country.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's not possible for Audi I think you will find. Only come across Porsche who offer it and it costs £925 extra for the hotel, lunch and tour.
Mercedes offer it for all there cars, as far as I am aware. You pay the same cost for 'delivery' but they fly you out there and you drive back, but there are a number of hassles such as the car bearing a german plate which has to be changed by the UK dealer.

I'd rather collect it from the UK dealer.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Does anyone have an update on this. CAn you buy/order from a UK Dealer and collect from the Factory?

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
63 Posts
There use to be information on this subject on the official UK Audi website(The info was in the owners section of the website).....I`am sure you use to be able to pick up your car directly from the factory:confused:....and I seem to recall reading a few posts from punters on other forums who done this....No idea if this is an option now.....Just checked out the official site and I can`t see any info on picking up your car from the factory.....So who knows.

·
Registered
158 Posts
here is a link which gives info to collecting cars. I actually live in Germany and flew down to Ingolstadt to collect my A5, was a very enjoyable day out.

However when you think about it, collecting from the factory will most likely only delay collecting your new toy so why bother? Because the easiest way, without hassle and so forth, is to allow your dealer to get the paperwork, register the car without it having left the factory. Then you would fly over with the plates and the collection documentation - there are forms which you need to collect the car and you only get them once you have paid the cash for the car - and you can pick up your pride and joy.

However, do you really want to have to drive across Germany without being able to put your foot down? The land of the limitless speed (occasionally) and you're stuck at 80mph....

But if anybody wants to visit the factory, the Audi Forum, both in Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm are open for visitors, whilst I was collecting my car in Ingolstadt a group of irish guys were having a gander cos they had a day off and we had a chat. Ok, it costs a bit to visit but is worthwhile, the cars in the Museum are interesting to look at, watching the cars being made is also interesting. There are regular buses from Munich Airport to Ingolstadt to it's easy to get there.

The food was good but unfortunately I was too excited at picking up my baby, I just wanted to get in it and bugger off - next time I will pig out in style ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts