Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts about the reduction in VAT?

Have those of us who have just bought lost out (again)??

Any thoughts.:confused:

· Registered
479 Posts
I'll tell you what I think:

I think that Mr Darling and Mr Brown are a prize pair of pr1cks!

If they think that a 2.5% cut in VAT will get this country spending again they are living in cloud cuckoo land :mad:.

If they had put money directly into the pockets of the consumer it would have been far more beneficial.

I cannot believe (well actually, I can) that he has the audacity to reduce VAT in one sentence and then INCREASE fuel duty so that there is no saving at all on fuel. In fact, he has actually increased the cost of fuel to UK businesses. At the moment, businesses can re-claim the VAT on fuel at 17.5%. As of monday, they can only re-claim 15% of the cost of fuel. Hence he has effectively increased the cost of all goods in the shops as the cost will have to be passed on, offsetting the cut in VAT on everything he has just reduced. What a tool.

Also, can you REALLY see retailers re-pricing all of their goods??? I can just see the bloke who runs the corner shop re-pricing all his Mars Bars by 1p. Not!!

£300 off a Mondeo is not going to make people decide whether to buy one or not.

He has run the risk of the pound be devalued massively and landed UK plc in mountains of debt for little or no reward.

[/rant off]

· Registered
821 Posts
Total waste of time imo also........ i can not see how he has helped my company, still the same amount of paperwork..... no incentive for new home building still (VAT zero rated) I have loads of vans and 3 company cars... little saving again, NI Going up...... Great (not) ...... who the hell is he kidding bar himself :mad:

Also..... nearly forgot, the weather is getting worse aswell, they cant even get that right - Come on Labour, You should know to not arrange the Snow to be Late December ;)

· Registered
51 Posts
Complete waste of a gesture, only the people spending lots of money will benefit. I do wish it happened before I bought my car though :(

And as it will get part funded by petrol duty and even NI contributions this will actually cost me more.

And I am so glad I dont work for a shop or supplies business, the cost of making the change repricing and changing the till systems, but I suppose most shops wont change the prices they will just keep the extra profit.

See I am ranting now.:mad:

· Registered
479 Posts
but I suppose most shops wont change the prices they will just keep the extra profit.
Exactly. They will keep the extra to cover their costs for getting some IT bods in to change their VAT rate on their software and printing off thousands of pricing tickets!!

I cannot believe that they think that this will get us out of the state we are in now.

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least most of us on this Forum are driving A5/S5's so George and Co can't be all bad can they? Sorry I am not a political supporter but just dislike the other load of Public Schoolboys more.

If Mr Macaroon and his lot got in it could be Astons .....or Allegros.

· Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'll tell you what I think:

I think that Mr Darling and Mr Brown are a prize pair of pr1cks!

If they think that a 2.5% cut in VAT will get this country spending again they are living in cloud cuckoo land :mad:.

If they had put money directly into the pockets of the consumer it would have been far more beneficial.

I cannot believe (well actually, I can) that he has the audacity to reduce VAT in one sentence and then INCREASE fuel duty so that there is no saving at all on fuel. In fact, he has actually increased the cost of fuel to UK businesses. At the moment, businesses can re-claim the VAT on fuel at 17.5%. As of monday, they can only re-claim 15% of the cost of fuel. Hence he has effectively increased the cost of all goods in the shops as the cost will have to be passed on, offsetting the cut in VAT on everything he has just reduced. What a tool.

Also, can you REALLY see retailers re-pricing all of their goods??? I can just see the bloke who runs the corner shop re-pricing all his Mars Bars by 1p. Not!!

£300 off a Mondeo is not going to make people decide whether to buy one or not.

He has run the risk of the pound be devalued massively and landed UK plc in mountains of debt for little or no reward.

[/rant off]
I think you summed up pretty much what I was gonna say.

It's complete bull. VAT is the least of our worries, and it certainly won't make people spend more!

Everyone will still be as hard-up as they always were. People aren't exactly gonna think, hmm, VAT has been decreased for the next year, let's go out and spend some money! - I wont!

People will still have the same monetary outgoings, and none of it has got any cheaper. The cuts should be in the things which really matter:

Food
Gas
Electricity
Fuel duty!

... what I'm getting at is that the way to get people spending is by decreasing their necessary outgoings as above. THAT will give people the spare cash to go out and buy the luxuries in life which will get the economy moving again.

20p off a jumper I wanted last week won't make me go out and buy it next week.

These idiots need a reality check.

And what else... the interest rate "cut" isn't being forwarded on to the mortgage customers - even the banks which are CONTROLLED by the government aren't forwarding on the cuts. What is it with this country??!!!

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like it... at least with this lot we are still in our A5/S5's ... just...

· Registered
714 Posts

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like it! +1

· Registered
1,351 Posts
audi uk site updated. With new prices with the deduction of the 2.5% The finance deals look even more appealing now! :D

· Registered
237 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.