Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the Bluetooth car kit option (as I'm sure everyone does now in the UK), however my ancient Sony Ericsson P900 (which is an antique I know but I just don't find mobile phones very interesting anymore as long as they do the job) won't even bond with the A5 because it doesn't support the right Bluetooth profiles. Before purchasing the A5 I was mentally all set to buy the iPhone just as soon as it became available in the UK. However, given that the 1st UK iPhone probably wont be 3G and the new iPOds are probably due tomorrow I'm now leaning towards a new touch screen iPod plus a basic but good business phone (await iPhone 3G).

So what I'd to know is everyone's experience (including the phone type) of A5/Bluetooth I especially want the Phone to be downloaded and fully accessible via the MMI. Share this knowledge with us all in the UK as it all seems like black art with little or no information available via Audi themselves (I can find a spreadsheet for phone compatibility for the US but nothing for the UK.)

Just noticed I've put this in the wrong forum, apologies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the Bluetooth Option with a Motorola V3i Razor and it pairs perfectly. It reads the phones contacts and received, missed and dialled calls etc. No SMS though.
Audi do use a special advanced bluetooth profile which i think is now ratified called remote sim access. For the latest generation phones it will read the sim gsm info and thereafter the car will 'pretend' to be your phone. the principal benefit is the hardwired external ariel connection rather than relying on your phones signal strengh. Also by not using bluetooth to make/receive calls it saves your battery life. This system is also standard on A6 if your dealer will let you play with a demonstrator. Hope this helps.

G

·
I have the Bluetooth car kit option (as I'm sure everyone does now in the UK), however my ancient Sony Ericsson P900 (which is an antique I know but I just don't find mobile phones very interesting anymore as long as they do the job) won't even bond with the A5 because it doesn't support the right Bluetooth profiles. Before purchasing the A5 I was mentally all set to buy the iPhone just as soon as it became available in the UK. However, given that the 1st UK iPhone probably wont be 3G and the new iPOds are probably due tomorrow I'm now leaning towards a new touch screen iPod plus a basic but good business phone (await iPhone 3G).

So what I'd to know is everyone's experience (including the phone type) of A5/Bluetooth I especially want the Phone to be downloaded and fully accessible via the MMI. Share this knowledge with us all in the UK as it all seems like black art with little or no information available via Audi themselves (I can find a spreadsheet for phone compatibility for the US but nothing for the UK.)

Just noticed I've put this in the wrong forum, apologies.
My Blackberry Pearl doesn't often work with the S5 bluetooth system. In fact Blackberry's are pretty rubbish for connecting to any bluetooth devices.

Brilliant phone - don't work in the car, so might look for other options

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have now tried a Nokia 6300 and it works a treat, downloads address book, displays missed calls and calls made. A nice simple back to basics phone if you've had enough of brick smart phones with functionality you never use (except for Blackberry email).

Oh yes, iPhone announced today for November the 9th on O2. Tariff not great for 18 month contract.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts