Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was told to expect my car in April when I ordered my car on Jan 10th. Now, I see that the car that is one spot in front to me just got their completion date (date in which the car is put on the boat, or close to it), which is 5/12, meaning his car won't get to the dealership until 6/12. His order was released to the factory for build on 2/15, so if we do the math, it is taking them 3 months to make a car from the time Audi Germany accepts the car to be built, which means 4 months until the car is delivered to the dealership. So, it is 2/27 right now, and my order has not been released to the factory. So let's say I get really lucky, and my order is released to the factory on 3/1, which means I won't get my car until 7/1, at the earliest, which is around 3 months longer than I was told. Now, if I order and M3 sedan, I can be guarenteed that the car will be here on 4/20, and if I order a C63 AMG, I can be pretty much guarenteed that the car will be here on 5/20. I have been waiting for a long time already, and I am really sick of waiting (I wanted to get a car around 3/10, but thought that mid April wouldn't be too far off). And because I don't even know if I will get my S5 even by July, I really don't know if I should just call it off an get an M3 or C63. I mean, what is wrong with Audi... 3 months to build a car because of the backup. They didn't predict the demand, and are now not doing much to correct the problem, which is really terrible business. I mean, it has almost gotten to the point where their official statement for when you will get an S5 is, "you will get it after we build it."

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I just realized, is that both the M3 and the C63 have not been released (whereas the S5 has been out since September/October), and I have not put a deposit down on either, and they both have a greater demand than the S5, and I would be able to get either much sooner than the S5. Audi is seriously not doing much to prevent people from dropping their deposits on a car that almost seems like it will never arrive.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That sucks. Maybe if you watch other dealers closely for people that don't take their deliveries. I know that the dealership here in Clark, NJ had one sitting for about 7 days before it was bought by somebody in PA. You could be in a car tomorrow... If you get really, REALLY, lucky.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Also, the way the Dollar is right now, it is in their best interest to make more for Europe than for the US. Selling a $60k car in the US results in 40k Euros, and I bet the shipping costs are a lot cheaper in Europe to boot. It sucks we get the shaft, but from a business sense, they are getting hammered by our weak currency. And I bet an S5 costs far more than 40k Euros in Germany... (just a guess)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jimmy, which dealer did you go to? I was in the exact same boat as you back at the beginning of Jan, but this board saved my a$$. i put a deposit down at audi manhattan and was told i'd have my S5 in 8-10 weeks... then i discovered this board and realized that the dealers were full of crap and nobody who ordered this year was going to have any chance of getting it before summer (exaggeration but not too far off!). so i cancelled the order and bought the demo unit at palisades audi, which they had actually kept in the showroom inside and not let anybody drive so it was like a new car. i still had to wait 8 weeks to get it, but im picking her up on friday.

my advice is to watch and call around to dealers and snag a car that someone ordered and flaked on. i think march will be a good month for that... sorry man, and good luck! oh, i also thing the S5 is worth waiting for, though I don't know your exact situation. if you were in cali, id say go for the M3 (for me the AMG is not in the same league as these two cars)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in the same boat jimmy and I'm getting fed up with the whole proces. If they knew they would only be able to build x-number of cars they should have said so and not taken orders for cars they cannot deliver.

My only regret is placing an order before M3 and C63 pricing was announced. My dealer has a no refund policy but I should be able to work around it if I opt out.

Supposedly March 3 is the next allocation announcement, if mine isn't on the list I'm pulling out and giving my hard earned money to a manufacturer that knows what it is doing. Audi's customer service is a joke...

·
Registered
483 Posts
i am getting nervous from what you guys are saying.... :(
it sux that the sales people don't follow through on what they promised....

·
Registered
9 Posts
To a certain degree I can understand the frustration, by I suppose I'm a bit more easy going about such things. I pre-ordered mine in July, and was (im guessing a bit here) one of the first in my area to do so. I still didn't pick it up until January 24th. Ultimately what it comes down to is, if you want it that badly, you'll wait for it. If not, go with something else. Personally, the dealers I dealt with were pretty straightforward in saying their best guess was just that, a best guess. It was up to me to decide whether I wanted to continue to wait for it, or not. I hope it works out for you either way.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i am getting nervous from what you guys are saying.... :(
it sux that the sales people don't follow through on what they promised....
what i meant is more general and not limited to the expected delivery date... following through on promises such as 'i will call you next week and give you an update', 'i will fax the you materials tomorrow' means a lot even if it's just to say that you have no new update or to explain why you couldn't deliver on your promise....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jimmy two things, first I'm not surprised that your order has not been pulled since you placed in January (I have a deposit down with Beiner since October and still have two people above myself without allocation).

What really surprises me is that someone who got pulled on 2/15 is not getting a 'ship' date until 5/12 and delivery in June. To me this sounds like the dealer trying to rationalize your situation with a story that seems unlikely. I have been repeatedly told when the car is pulled to go into production, to expect it within 8 weeks thereafter, so pulled 2/15, April 15 should've been the reasonable date for it to just ARRIVE in the US.

Perhaps this is a misunderstanding on my part, or the salesman continuing to misguide me, but I have also approached the difficult decision of withdrawing my deposit.

Scottwho, where did you hear March 3 being the next allocation date? My salesman also told me last night to wait until next week because they are expecting another round of allocations, I assumed it was another attempt to buy time.

Final 2 cents, I'm fine with waiting, but not for an uncertain time period, March/April one thing, June/July another, after July changes the game....As already discussed, Audi just needs to better manage customer expectations. The 335xi is my next choice, but also considering the TT 3.2 as an alternative (assuming Audi can even get me that car!) Both step downs imo, however the Cayman S, M3, Z4 M coupe each are great cars deliverable in a 6 week time period...worth adding, these are problems I certainly don't mind having = )

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also getting really pissed off

I just went to the German, UK, US and Canadian sites and configured similar fully loaded S5's (check out the unbelievable number of options on the German site) to check out the prices. Here they are in US dollars:

Germany 101200
UK 87900
Canada 72250
US 56950

I think that pretty much says it all. One has to wonder why any company would sell to the US right now without adjusting the price. Having said all that being in Canada and having a price almost 16000 more than the US doesn't seem to be helping delivery delays. I placed an order in December and was told late April or early May. So far no news about a build date meaning it won't be here until at least end May. I think I might bail if it doesn't get picked up for build on March 3. Probably buy an M3.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My salesman also told me last night to wait until next week because they are expecting another round of allocations, I assumed it was another attempt to buy time.
that's exactly what i mean... they fob you off and promised to update you 'next week' or 'tomorrow'... but they never do.... pisssssssssssss meeeee offff (and understandably everyone else) big time :mad: :mad: :mad:

btw, i was told yesterday by my dealer that they will get an allocations update tomorrow.... not sure if that's worth anything....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Jimmy, I'll be in NJ picking up my A5 this Friday!!!! I'll check with the dealer to see if he has a ""no hold" S5 coming in with your specs

·
Registered
25 Posts
What really surprises me is that someone who got pulled on 2/15 is not getting a 'ship' date until 5/12 and delivery in June. To me this sounds like the dealer trying to rationalize your situation with a story that seems unlikely. I have been repeatedly told when the car is pulled to go into production, to expect it within 8 weeks thereafter, so pulled 2/15, April 15 should've been the reasonable date for it to just ARRIVE in the US.
I ordered mid-December for a tip S5. I was in the allocations given out on 2/15 and my car was marked as released to mfg (not sure exactly when it was released). On the boat mid-April, at my dealer by mid-May.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just went to the German, UK, US and Canadian sites and configured similar fully loaded S5's (check out the unbelievable number of options on the German site) to check out the prices. Here they are in US dollars:

Germany 101200
UK 87900
Canada 72250
US 56950

I think that pretty much says it all. One has to wonder why any company would sell to the US right now without adjusting the price. Having said all that being in Canada and having a price almost 16000 more than the US doesn't seem to be helping delivery delays. I placed an order in December and was told late April or early May. So far no news about a build date meaning it won't be here until at least end May. I think I might bail if it doesn't get picked up for build on March 3. Probably buy an M3.
a lot of companies that do the kind of volume global business that audi does in hedge their exchange rate risk financially. i am fairly certain audi does this. this is an old article, but check it out:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B06E4DF1639F934A25752C0A9629C8B63

i still think the M3 is hot fire, but i want my quattro!

·
Registered
483 Posts
i still think the M3 is hot fire, but i want my quattro!
+1000000.... some ppl will say they are ok with not being able to drive their car 4 days out of the year if the car drives great the other 361 (or 362) ... but to me, paying this much for a car and having it stuck in the snow just one day out of the year is too many ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
In that article they say the Euro is over-valued at US1.25. Well it's US1.51 today. That's got to really mess up their calculations!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm a European living in the USA since 14 years. There is a lot more to this then just the price of the car in what ever country you check. For the first I'm pretty sure quoted price in Europe includes VAT (sales Tax) which is somewhere 15-25% depending on country, price here in the US most definetly doesn't.
I also believe that the dealermarkup in Europe is higher then here in the US so I'm pretty sure that Audi themselves make about the same amount of money on any car no matter where it is sold. As far as what I have heard it seems that wait time is as long in Europe as here in the US. I think Audi just have some production problems and they rather have long wait times then a lot of cars sitting at dealers anyway.

Tonny

·
Registered
3 Posts
loooong waiting time...

Seems to be an audi problem... I ordered a tiptronic S5 last week (absolutely wanted tiptronic). Normal delivery date should be august/September, but ordering a glass panoramic roof would mean 6 months (!) extra, apparently there is a problem with the roof manufacturer... Quite remarkable isn't it? I live in Belgium Europe. I checked with some German audi dealers and they tell me the same thing... After some negociation withe the dealer, he promised me the car would be delivered this year (with roof)... I hope he'll keep his promise... Meanwhile keep driving my BMW..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts