Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ok ok-so i currently have a 2004 a6 3.0 quattro-no problems with it, besides that i think it is hideous. I want an s5 like you wouldnt beleive-i have a deposit on it and would get it in june-but everyones trying to talk be out of it...Im 19 yrs old-I make 1200$ a week(working for my dad, who at any point could tell me I'm fired if hes in a bad mood(has happend b4))-and i also have to pay 300 a week for school(I'm a college student)--If i trade in my a6 to the dealer(51k miles) I should get around 15-16k for it-which would make my monthly payment on the S5 around 850$ a month........(not including insurance)----Any thoughts or comments or just say how u feel about what i should do....Thanks(I've been going through alot of mental turmoil over this lol)

·
Registered
298 Posts
ok ok ok-so i currently have a 2004 a6 3.0 quattro-no problems with it, besides that i think it is hideous. I want an s5 like you wouldnt beleive-i have a deposit on it and would get it in june-but everyones trying to talk be out of it...Im 19 yrs old-I make 1200$ a week(working for my dad, who at any point could tell me I'm fired if hes in a bad mood(has happend b4))-and i also have to pay 300 a week for school(I'm a college student)--If i trade in my a6 to the dealer(51k miles) I should get around 15-16k for it-which would make my monthly payment on the S5 around 850$ a month........(not including insurance)----Any thoughts or comments or just say how u feel about what i should do....Thanks(I've been going through alot of mental turmoil over this lol)
No car is worth blowing all your remaining monthly cash on. Heck even though you don't think so, you are still a kid. Do all the things you are supposed to do at the tender age of 19, and the cars will come to you much easier in the future.;) In addition, don't forget you have to pay for gas, maintenance etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
No car is worth blowing all your remaining monthly cash on. Heck even though you don't think so, you are still a kid. Do all the things you are supposed to do at the tender age of 19, and the cars will come to you much easier in the future.;) In addition, don't forget you have to pay for gas, maintenance etc.
+1

i just picked up my S5 today. im 25 now but i know for a fact that when i was 19 i probably would have been all too happy to blow all my cash on something like this. but a couple years later you look back and realize you were being silly and youre pretty happy to have not done it. my advice to you, if you honestly find your current car unbearable, is to compromise and maybe get an older car. no need to get a $60,000 car.

last thing ill say is that a year ago i was soooooo close to buying an RS4. i could have afforded it, but it would have been taxing with parking/insurance. i held off and then i discovered the S5, which im WAY happier with. so you never know, waiting might land you in a better spot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry.... the 300 a week is only for 8 months year, but starting june i will be spliting an apartment with my girlfriend(and won't have to pay that nemore)-so my mothly expenses, without gas and insurance will only be 800$ a month..... with the car it would probably round to 2200$ a month-Total, with gas and everything...which would leave me with around 2600 at the end of the month to put into savings

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you have no expenses and make 1200 a week, then you are a lucky man. Especially if Pops is paying cash. I hope you are a good worker. With a monthly income of at least 4800, figure that insurance for a 19 year old driving a 60k car will be at least 3500 a year. so that is another at least 300 a month. It adds up fast, buy something used that is fun. even an old porsche would be more affordable for you. But if you want to live on the edge and with way more stress than a 19 year old should have, get an S5.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Buy a house instead

The best advice I can give you (which you will probably ignore, I know I would have at 19) is keep your A6, forget the S5 for now and save the money for a house (there are lots around for good prices right now). You have to save something for later and in general cars are a colossal waste of money, especially new ones!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find this thread way too funny not to comment.

When I was 19 I had a second hand $2K CRX that I pimped out. Only now after 10 years of working do I find myself in a position to get a $50k car and be able to sleep at night.

I think that you are super well off if you are driving a A6 at 19 and making 4800/month. However, the heart wants what the heart wants and I know this will drive you nuts because deep inside you know that you can afford it. Here is some ammo for ya...most financial consultants would recommend that a car payment should not be < 10%, a house payment that is < 24% and your total debt under < 36% of your monthly gross income (before taxes)...so if you are within these ranges you are good to go. Maybe not the smartest thing to do with your $$$ but what the hell...you are already very well off so go crazy.

That said, remember that every year there will be something that will be better than the S5...RS5? There are already rumors circling. I was considering waiting for the RS5 but that would be completely outrageous for me as I think it will be > $70K

·
Registered
273 Posts
If the RS5 is to the S5 like the RS4 is to the S4 a more realistic number would be > $80,000. Having lived with my S5 for 3100 miles now I can say that I think anyone would be nuts to get an RS5. The S5 has plenty of giddyup and you really can't even come close to exploring its limits in real world driving. I can't imagine any reason to need more.

As far as our 19-year-old's question, jeez kid, get a life and some perspective! You have a 4-year old A6, which cost close to $50,000 brand new and is a great car and you hate it? You're also complaining about the fact that Daddy -- who must have given you your A6, not to mention probably everything else in your spoiled, silver-spoon existence -- might fire you? Gimme a break. Please.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The S5 like all new and especially new luxury cars is a colossal waste of money. Yes I love mine but good gracious young man there are so many better things to do with the extra 30,000 dollars. Here I thought my 19 year old college son was spoiled with a 2004 Jetta TDI with 50,000 miles (and he is spoiled). Put the money into a house, other real estate, 401k, marriage/college fund, stocks/bonds and very soon you won't have to agonize about whether you can afford such a car (by very soon I mean like a ripe old age of 35 or so not your idea of very soon--21:) ) If you were my son at age 19 and bought this car I would either fire you for stupidity or cut your salary in half so you would quit and be forced to sell this waste of money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The S5 like all new and especially new luxury cars is a colossal waste of money. Yes I love mine but good gracious young man there are so many better things to do with the extra 30,000 dollars. Here I thought my 19 year old college son was spoiled with a 2004 Jetta TDI with 50,000 miles (and he is spoiled). Put the money into a house, other real estate, 401k, marriage/college fund, stocks/bonds and very soon you won't have to agonize about whether you can afford such a car (by very soon I mean like a ripe old age of 35 or so not your idea of very soon--21:) ) If you were my son at age 19 and bought this car I would either fire you for stupidity or cut your salary in half so you would quit and be forced to sell this waste of money.
Hey, B, you forgot to add, "but if you do buy one, you should at least save money by not buying winter tires and wheels, but rather, by investing in good A/S tires in the stock 19" size." :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey, B, you forgot to add, "but if you do buy one, you should at least save money by not buying winter tires and wheels, but rather, by investing in good A/S tires in the stock 19" size." :D
Both of you guys are too slow--I already nailed you jeff on the other thread you were on (something about your rail rocking brain I believe--and since you are so close to Canada I suspect it is contagious as well):p

·
Registered
483 Posts
Both of you guys are too slow--I already nailed you jeff on the other thread you were on (something about your rail rocking brain I believe--and since you are so close to Canada I suspect it is contagious as well):p
hey that's not what i meant boomer; it's just funny what jeff wrote...haha...
i actually agree with you re. the tires.... or at least i see the merit of both sides of the argument (jeff and yours)....

·
Registered
338 Posts
hey that's not what i meant boomer; it's just funny what jeff wrote...haha...
i actually agree with you re. the tires.... or at least i see the merit of both sides of the argument (jeff and yours)....
Hey seifufu I am joking too--it is just that I have an odd warped sense of humor that jeff seems to ignite:D :D I really do enjoy the jousting and please rarely take my jabs seriously (oh by the way I do like Canadians and even an occasional east coaster):D :D

I see how you might have misinterpreted my cynical reply--I just meant that I had beat Jeff to the draw with my tire comment having already been posted before his. Sorry about that--again please don't take my weak attempts at cynical humor too seriously.

·
Registered
182 Posts
you have to realize that most of us would probably have killed to be in your situation at 19 - by the time i was out of school i was up to my eyeballs in debt and making far less than a grand a week.. though that was 11 years ago this spring, and i'm making far more than a grand a week now and like a lot of guys in here i now have the play money to do something like buy an S5.. well, i really don't and shouldn't, but the savings is in place, the 529 fund for my son is being contributed to, the responsibility is covered..

let's say for academic exercise you buy the S5, you pay the insurance, you pay the gas costs, you still have some cash to spend, you're in semi-good shape.. now let's say despite using the best precautions the remainder of your money can buy, you get your girlfriend pregnant.. now what? i can say from personal experience that a situation such as this is 1. expensive, and 2. irreversable.. just a possibility to consider..

or even more realistic - your dad fires you, and this time doesn't re-hire you.. can you turn around and make that kind of money again anywhere else without missing a car payment? (if so, why aren't you doing that at a more stable location than the instability of working for your dad?)

i do have to agree that if i caught my son posting something like this in 17 years, i would kick his ass for him.. seriously dude, long island??! buy you some land, posthaste!! buy an old house, knock it down, put up a hugenormous estate and buy an S5 for every day of the week! make the investments first before you spend the money, and you'll wind up with a lot more money in the long run..

sorry to harsh on your buzz, but it's the response you'd sort of have to expect from a group of folks mostly a bit older and through that stage of life..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Go ahead and buy it. I know some one who can lend you the money - we have 22.9% interest, and if you don't pay, you can work for us the rest of your life for 2$ an hour.

You'll love the car - runs great. Pick a dark color, since you'll probably lose your house and end up sleeping in the car.

What I don't understand is why you don't find something better - maybe a 911 Turbo or an Aston Martin? Well I guess, maybe you can buy one next year.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like theres a bunch of comedians in here-or maybe a bunch of jealous people, either one.....anyways-as for people saying I'm spoiled-you have no idea the work I do, what I've been through or anything, So to make a comment like that, #1 is immature, and #2 un-warranted. I work over 57 hours a week, running his store which if me and my brother didn't noone else but him could, because there's no one else he could trust to do it. Not to mention the 2 hour drive I have to make everyday from my school to work then back for my night classes. Oh, and the A6 being given to me? YEA RIGHT....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Put the money into a house, other real estate, 401k, marriage/college fund, stocks/bonds and very soon you won't have to agonize about whether you can afford such a car (by very soon I mean like a ripe old age of 35 or so not your idea of very soon--21:)
ummmmmmmmm 35? I'll probably have enough money in the next 5 years to buy this car.....and my future house, outright with cash......not the ridiculous age of 35.....pshhhh...bunch of haters in this forum huh?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I guess this all boils down into how likely your dad will fire you... with the money you are making (and am I guessing its 1200 post tax, or you don't pay taxes, whatever) and the fact that you have few expenses, if you are pretty certain you won't lose your job, then I would go for it. Otherwise, if you are fired, and still have like 20k to pay off on the S5, you may be screwed.

BTW, you are lucky... my school costs 1500 a week, incl dorm :eek: Thankfully, I don't have to pay it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.