Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have dunlops maxx on my S5 atm, which tyre would be the best upgrade?......Conti's, Goodyear, Pirelli etc ????

·
Registered
275 Posts
Honsetly - this has been raised before - the Dunlops are a good premium tyre, good grip, low noise. The car is an S5, with 4 wheel drive, powerful brakes, modern chassis and futuristic electronics. Unless you plan on taking your S5 on to the track every weekend, you don't need better tyres. Try putting the car and tyres at fault under above normal use, with fault being an issue other than poor driving or weight of the car.

There are probably better tyres out there, but not worth changing to for the intended use of this car, unless esthetics.

I hear Michelins are always very good, but wear quickly. Bridgestones are excellent too, but are noisy, and not as good under wet surfaces. I've never liked the look of recent Pirelli PZeros.....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Honsetly - this has been raised before - the Dunlops are a good premium tyre, good grip, low noise. The car is an S5, with 4 wheel drive, powerful brakes, modern chassis and futuristic electronics. Unless you plan on taking your S5 on to the track every weekend, you don't need better tyres. Try putting the car and tyres at fault under above normal use, with fault being an issue other than poor driving or weight of the car.

There are probably better tyres out there, but not worth changing to for the intended use of this car, unless esthetics.

I hear Michelins are always very good, but wear quickly. Bridgestones are excellent too, but are noisy, and not as good under wet surfaces. I've never liked the look of recent Pirelli PZeros.....
To be honest I disagree with this, having the best tyre you can afford on your car is not just about taking your car to its limits, it also has a major affect from a safety point of view. A typical example is braking, in the recent Evo tyre test there was nearly a 6 meter difference between the Goodyear and Dunlop Sport Maxx braking distance during wet braking. The Bridgestones also stopped 5 meters earlier than the Sport Maxx.

Overall the Dunlop Sport Maxx actually came in at 8th place out of 9 so really you can easily find a better tyre to replace on your car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Based on the information you've provided - you have a point I must admit.

Mea culpa

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The other thread is worth reading as later S5s have different tyres to the early ones.

They now have Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT which is a better tyre than the Sport Maxx.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The other thread is worth reading as later S5s have different tyres to the early ones.

They now have Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT which is a better tyre than the Sport Maxx.
It would be useful if SAJ can say what type of Dunlop Sport Maxx EVO magazine used in their test, as he and I said (in the previous thread) the Maxx came almost last.
I don't think anyone has tested the newer GT variant yet.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It would be useful if SAJ can say what type of Dunlop Sport Maxx EVO magazine used in their test, as he and I said (in the previous thread) the Maxx came almost last.
I don't think anyone has tested the newer GT variant yet.
It was Sport Maxx they tested not the Sport Maxx GT

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
....i dont have the Dunlop GT version-so am seriously considering upgrading- for the money and availabilty atm....my options are Conti sport contact 3 ( which I had on my b6s4 ) or Mich pilot sport II........any thoughts?

·
Registered
338 Posts
....i dont have the Dunlop GT version-so am seriously considering upgrading- for the money and availabilty atm....my options are Conti sport contact 3 ( which I had on my b6s4 ) or Mich pilot sport II........any thoughts?
I am admittedly a Michelin man and have never been disappointed. Several cars with pilot sports and again very happy.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The only non-OEM tire I've ever had was on my TSX (Accord for Euros), Toyo T1-R's, and they were amazing tires. Arguably the best in the bang-for-the-buck compartment (low US$100's when I bought them a couple of years ago). Aside from those, I've also heard/read nothing but good things about Goodyear's Eagle F1's.

·
Registered
315 Posts
On the E36, I've used Michelin Pilot Sports, which were okay, but never got me in any trouble. Then I tried PS2's, and I'm on my 3rd set now... I absolutely love them... but the life is very very short compared to others.

I may try PS2's on the S5 after the Dunlop's wear out... but we'll see what the board suggests throughout the year...

(IMHO, I don't see price as an issue for good tires)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If its between these two then go Conti Sport Contact 3. They were rated much higher than the Dunlops in this years Evo tyre test. Conti 3 were 3rd and Mich pilot were 5th.

Check the thread out below....

Evo tyre test thread:- http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/evo-tyre-test-244/index.html?t=244&highlight=evo+tyre+test

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Autocar Magazine's test this year didn't include a Dunlop tyre, but their overall winner was the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric. The video of the test is here:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=228551&CT=V

It's quite long, but worth a look. Apologies for the rather annoying plug for the online-tyre supplier they used to source the tyres, which thankfully doesn't come until the end...

Overall, the Goodyear or the Michelin are probably best, with the Continental not far behind. I'd steer clear of the Pirellis though (no pun intended!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3 is the best tire I've used. There were on a B6 A4 with plenty of mixed speed driving and even 6 or 8 track days. Fantastic grip in the rain and on dry pavement and very quiet ride.

I've also used the Toyo Proxies T1-R. Also a good tire; Very similar to the Eagle F1 in appearance, but a bit noisier and not quite as grippy.

I had the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on my S5 and they were fantastic for the 3 weeks I ran them. I've got my winter wheels on now( Blizzak LM-25 in 225 width 18's) and they are almost as quiet as the PS2's with very nice dry handling for a snow tire and great snow & ice grip.

For the money, the TI-R's are great, but if you can afford the higher cost, go with the Eagle F1's.. you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have preference to Michelin's myself. I used to run Pilot Sport 2's on my Porsche, unbelievable tyre, but very soft, and being on a C4s it ate them up on a regular basis. I had to buy new tyres about every 10K - 12K miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts