Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently purchased an A5 with 20" wheels, and have had a problem with not identifying a puncture due to the extremely low profiles, can the tyre pressure monitor system be installed at a dealership? the local dealer says not but i'm not convinced as it apparently operates from the ABS sensors so shouldn't theoretically be a problem! Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I tried to order the tyre pressure monitor at the point of order but was told that there was a mistake on the options list and in fact that option isn't and never was available?? :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noted a few of the specs listed by members that appear to include this option !! and our local dealer didn't dismiss it as an option, just that it wasn't available as a retro fit by the dealer

Has anyone out there got the tyre pressure monitor system installed ??

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
All US spec A5/S5s come with tire pressure monitors. As far as retrofitting the entire "system", I have no knowledge about that. However, I can tell you that the TPM sensors themselves can easily be installed on the valve stems. Several forum members in the US (including myself) who put aftermarket wheels on their cars are having to purchase TPM sensors for the new wheels/tires (as most keep the stock wheels/tires intact to either sell or hang on to).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tyre Pressure monitor

I've got factory fit monitor as you say iw works off of ABS system and monitors rolling diameter. There is a menu to re calibrate system. nOt had a puncture or air loss yet to see how it reacts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a factory fit UK model, previous post would indicate this was never available in the UK ???

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Is this a factory fit UK model, previous post would indicate this was never available in the UK ???
It wasnt when it first came out but was added to the UK order list around this time last year (first by memo to dealers and later in the spec guide).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the confirmation

Still struggling to find out if this option can be retro fitted though

Any info to assist the installation would be appreciated

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anyone in the Uk or UK spec A5 with TPM factory fitted or otherwise ??
It is available in the UK, it is on my A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport with the 20inch wheels, although it is an optional extra.

Unlike some rumours, it does not give pressure readings of the four tyres. You decide when your tyres are correctly inflated, and then use the MMI to tell the car that the current "pressure" as at this moment is correct.

Then, as the car ride height varies from that point, theoretically due to lower pressure so the car lowers itself slightly, the system detects this drop in height and triggers its warning beacons.

Since the option is relatively cheap (less then 30 beers), it cannot be particularly "high-tech wizardry" although I do not know if it can be easily retrofitted.

·
Registered
714 Posts
As per earlier posts, there is no special "pressure sensor" in the tyres ... it's simply a reuse of the ABS sensors measuring the rotational thingummybob to ... yawn ... work out if the ... yawn ... wheel is rotating with the same circumference ... yawn ... or summat ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Basically it's a software fudge which can easily be replaced by the highly sophisticated technique of ... wait for it ... looking at your tyres regularly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for that valuble information you little tuff nut, may be if you read the earlier posts you may have noticed that there was never a question of "pressure sensors"just a simple question of if the system could be retro activated by a dealer, as it should just be a matter of tweeking the control unit, but to which appears to be "NO"

I will purchase a tyre pressure gauge instead and check them every time i go on the motorway !!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had it as part of my spec, although I did think that it would give a nice reading of each tyre rather than just read any differences

·
Registered
72 Posts
Out of curiosity.... Why is there a setting for 'Pressure Units' in the MMI then? :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts