Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 A5 Coupe 2.0l diesel,all the usual bells and whistles
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the car last year, more than satisfied even when I found it was a year old when registered, but am somewhat confused as to wether it's a B8 (as stated on the V5) a B8.5, or a B9 ? - how can I find out? - I didn't think they made B8's in 2019

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
499 Posts
Audi's nomenclature for various platforms & types can be confusing. B8, B8.5, B9 refer to generations in a series of model platforms, while "types" are generally specific model generations. The B platform dates to the 1970s (I owned a B1 model in the early '80s -- sold here as the Audi Fox, elsewhere as the model 80). Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_B_platform

For the "type" designation, look at the vehicle information sticker, explained here: https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/downloadStaticFile/audi/files/fahrzeugdatentraeger-EN.pdf --g

·
Registered
2020 A5 Coupe 2.0l diesel,all the usual bells and whistles
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I'm confused - contacted Audi UK customer services and asked them to confirm B8 or B9 and eventually they replied to say that I should take my V5 and two proofs of identity (one photo ID) into my main dealer who would contact Audi's sales department who would then contact DVLA to provide a corrected V5!
They still didn't confirm it is a B9, and the service guy said the B9 was an A4 and not an A5!

IF it's a B9 can someone tell me how I can confirm this from the VIN number?

(I've complied with the advice from Customer Services so hopefully something positive SHOULD happen)

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Now I'm confused - contacted Audi UK customer services and asked them to confirm B8 or B9 and eventually they replied to say that I should take my V5 and two proofs of identity (one photo ID) into my main dealer who would contact Audi's sales department who would then contact DVLA to provide a corrected V5!
They still didn't confirm it is a B9, and the service guy said the B9 was an A4 and not an A5!

IF it's a B9 can someone tell me how I can confirm this from the VIN number?

(I've complied with the advice from Customer Services so hopefully something positive SHOULD happen)
It's a B9, no argument or anything required.

The confusion is coming from the fact that B9 is not a term used in official paperwork for the A5, the correct code is F5. After the B8 comes F5, B9 is only used for the A4, but most communities use the term B9 to refer to the 2016-present F5.

The B8 and B9/F5 look completely different too, a simple picture of the car would immediately give you the answer.

Reactions: JohnS4

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The B8 you're seeing on some paperwork is likely more of a reference to the underlying chassis code, which is 8W.

Basically it doesn't matter, the number on your paperwork is irrelevant. It terms of looking for mods/parts, you're looking for B9/F5, ignore everything else. For insurance etc, they don't care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts