Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I need some advice on my A5’s brakes, it’s just been in for its MOT and failed due to an offside brake pipe being twisted. They fixed it and issued a new MOT, but when I first got the car a year ago, it had a near side twisted brake pipe as well. How do the brake pipes twist?? I’ve never had a problem like this after owning A3’s for donkey years 🤔

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Hello mate sorry no idea!!!!

·
Registered
2015 Audi A5 S-Line Quattro White
38 Posts
only ever seen or heard of it when the pads have been replaced and the caliper has been pushed to the side to much and twisted the pipe

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I presume you mean the rubber part of the pipe into the caliper?

Yes, these can be twisted if someone replaces the pads and doesn't put the caliper back with the pipe straight. But strangely on Audis, except, I think the RS models, the flexi rubber pipe screws directly into the caliper and doesn't have a banjo connection like other cars I've owned. So if the caliper was removed, maybe seized and repaired and the pipe screwed back in with the caliper in place rather than spinning the caliper round onto the pipe. This was a pain when I swapped to Brembo 4 pots at the front!

But my guess as others have said, pad replacement and the caliper put back with the pipe twisted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone,
I need some advice on my A5’s brakes, it’s just been in for its MOT and failed due to an offside brake pipe being twisted. They fixed it and issued a new MOT, but when I first got the car a year ago, it had a near side twisted brake pipe as well. How do the brake pipes twist?? I’ve never had a problem like this after owning A3’s for donkey years 🤔
I had the exact same issue when I took my car to Audi for an MOT recently, a few days after having my brake callipers resprayed. I was told it was going to fail the MOT if I didn’t have it sorted and was charged £60 for the privilege.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I had the exact same issue when I took my car to Audi for an MOT recently, a few days after having my brake callipers resprayed. I was told it was going to fail the MOT if I didn’t have it sorted and was charged £60 for the privilege.
That's a bit naughty, it is just take the wheel off and then 2 13mm bolts per side, remove, rotate and refit! About a 5 or 10 minute job per side.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Thanks everyone, I was charged £40 to untwist to get through MOT, and it was the same garage that changed the brake pads a few months ago!
I wouldn't have paid that if they caused the issue!!!!

At least you know where not to take you car now! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts