1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The MMI screen on those with TVs installed is bigger than the standard screen. So, you may well find that you need quite a few things to be changed.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't know if U.S. and Euro part numbers differ, but if you car has the regular MMI with satnav (you must have satnav, although not the new MMI 3G) then the following process should apply, just make sure you check if the U.S. tuner box is a special part number or requires any changes (I don't know about that):

Hybrid TV module installation Audi A6/A4 B8/A5 (relevant for Q7/A8 too)
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a6a4a5hybridtv.html

Notes on retrofitting TV module Audi A6/Q7/A8
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a6tvmodule.html

Also check the links in both articles, there is an article of someone installing Euro tuner to an U.S. A6 in the links if I remember correctly, so that is known to work. (This is the link: http://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/22067.phtml)

Things are easier in A5/S5 because most U.S. cars have the rear-view camera and with that camera the MMI front control box already should have the video-in connector (and rear trunk has the rear-view camera module where the TV tuner can be connected for video in).

Note that at least in Europe there are three (or four depending on how you count them) kinds of tuners that look pretty much the same and connect the same (they are interchangeable) but differ in what kind of signals they can receive:

- Original analog tuner (can only receive analog signals, should work fine anywhere in the world where anolog is still broadcasted), there is also a digital (euro) DVB-T add-on-module for this analog tuner that connects to its ext port

- Hybrid analog / DVB-T (euro) tuner that can receive both analogue and DVB-T digital TV signals

- Also I believe there is a fully digital only DVB-T version of the tuner

Plus there may be U.S. versions that are tailored more specifically for the market? For example, Japan has completely different components than listed above that are completely incompatible, but the U.S. MMI is closer to Euro MMI (even software seems interchangeable) so differences aren't likely as big. MAKE SURE you get the kind of tuner that can receive the TV signal in your area.

I'm not aware A5/S5 is shipped with TV tuners to the U.S. at all, but since A5 with MMI High uses same tech and components as A6/A8/Q7, a TV tuner from one of those cars would likely work. In Europe Audi does offer A5/S5 with TV tuners that are the same parts as A6/A8/Q7.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i dont want a tele i want a dvd player hooked up... is that easier for the us spec cars?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dvd player

If you read the complete article above you can hook up any video source such as dvd player, ps3, etc... Most will not be using for tv sources

·
Registered
70 Posts
i dont want a tele i want a dvd player hooked up... is that easier for the us spec cars?
Well, my UK spec MMI 3G plays DVDs as standard from the dash slot. Stops when you drive though :(

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
MMI 3G is a whole different ball-game when it comes to retrofits, so the instructions above apply to previous-gen MMI High.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts