Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered the TV tuner for my car, I was wondering to get max use from it whether to spend £199 (eg price on www.satnavsystems.com) to have the motion blocking unlocked:confused: . Does anyone know what the picture is like while driving? Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can only tell from the movement you see when you are in a traffic jam and you let the car roll foward really slowly or where the picture going blank is delayed a little. In these cases analogue picture is pretty rough but digital is consistent and works fine. If you have a dvd player or PS2 plugged in then it makes no difference obviously.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I dont believe the subject's came up yet, so I doubt anyone has done this yet.

Not sure if i'd like it to be honest, it would be a bit distracting in my opinion.

If the police see it as well, they'll try and prosecute you under regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) regulations 1986, which makes it illegal for a screen to be in view of the driver unless it displays data regarding the vehicle, radio etc.

Rab.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just KNOW it would distract me - I'd be afraid to have it :eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming you can still listen to the channels while driving - so probably don't really need to do it I guess.

·
Registered
231 Posts
my old merc SLK could play DVDs on the factory COMAND system while driving. was great to have music videos on while driving, especially in traffic. shame the audi doesnt come with it as standard

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have ordered the TV tuner for my car, I was wondering to get max use from it whether to spend £199 (eg price on www.satnavsystems.com) to have the motion blocking unlocked:confused: . Does anyone know what the picture is like while driving? Thanks
Sorry mate, but if you want to watch TV whilst you're driving, you're an idiot and a liability.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if you describe someone who has never had an accident in 15 years of driving, despite owning 5 911's, cayenne S boxster S, cayman s, cayman, bmw 330, bmw M3, bmw z4, bmw x3, merc s class, cls, sl 320, clk 270, audi a4 2.7, an idiot and a liabilty then thats only your opinion. Its the driver behind the wheel who is responsible for their driving, personally using sat nav/tv/telephone/radio etc are all equally a distraction - I don't think TV is any more or less distracting, do you not look at the screen when you follow sat nav? As I've said I'm mainly using it to listen to news, sky sports news etc anyway, and probably would not have it done, I thought the whole point of asking questions is to get productive comment, I don't think yours is mate.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Having it unlocked in a traffic jam would be fine. If you are just moving forward a few feet the screen goes off and then you have to be totally stopped for it to come back on again. For passengers thats a right pain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having it unlocked in a traffic jam would be fine. If you are just moving forward a few feet the screen goes off and then you have to be totally stopped for it to come back on again. For passengers thats a right pain.

Precisely, being stuck in traffic is a daily experience, what's the point in spending nearly a £1000 if the screen just blanks when you roll forward 5 metres. I agree it can be used safely in such situations, but obviously not at all times.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well if you describe someone who has never had an accident in 15 years of driving, despite owning 5 911's, cayenne S boxster S, cayman s, cayman, bmw 330, bmw M3, bmw z4, bmw x3, merc s class, cls, sl 320, clk 270, audi a4 2.7, an idiot and a liabilty then thats only your opinion. Its the driver behind the wheel who is responsible for their driving, personally using sat nav/tv/telephone/radio etc are all equally a distraction - I don't think TV is any more or less distracting, do you not look at the screen when you follow sat nav? As I've said I'm mainly using it to listen to news, sky sports news etc anyway, and probably would not have it done, I thought the whole point of asking questions is to get productive comment, I don't think yours is mate.
Well let's just hope I (or anyone else for that matter) don't have the misfortune to be on the same piece of tarmac as you at the same time then. You are driving a 1600Kg loaded gun; I have seen at first hand the painful, messy, bloody outcome that occurs when people allow themselves to be distracted from their driving. I just hope to God that when it's your moment, you don't take somebody's wife, son or father with you.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Me thinks this thread needs a referee and I know personal misfortune may come to me by sticking my nose into this one, but hey you guys are several thousand miles away and FRIENDLY jousting adds some spice to the threads sometimes. Now both of you have valid points and agree with each other more than you think. There are many distractions within the modern auto and we should strive to minimize them while driving. Shoot in the U.S. studies have shown that people on cell phones have the reaction time of drunk drivers. And have you watched people trying to eat a Big Mac with fries and a chocolate shake in the car--watch out! How about the lady putting makeup on while driving. It goes on and on. What it comes down to is personal responsibility(novel idea here in the U.S.) when driving so lets leave it at that and move on lads.;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Me thinks this thread needs a referee and I know personal misfortune may come to me by sticking my nose into this one, but hey you guys are several thousand miles away and FRIENDLY jousting adds some spice to the threads sometimes. Now both of you have valid points and agree with each other more than you think. There are many distractions within the modern auto and we should strive to minimize them while driving. Shoot in the U.S. studies have shown that people on cell phones have the reaction time of drunk drivers. And have you watched people trying to eat a Big Mac with fries and a chocolate shake in the car--watch out! How about the lady putting makeup on while driving. It goes on and on. What it comes down to is personal responsibility(novel idea here in the U.S.) when driving so lets leave it at that and move on lads.;)
Fair play, I'm not looking for a mass argument, just trying to make a point.

Do you fancy a job in Afghanistan, Boomer? :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Fair play, I'm not looking for a mass argument, just trying to make a point.

Do you fancy a job in Afghanistan, Boomer? :D
Don't tempt me. In my line of work there are some days when Afghanistan might be less dangerous to me (I'm not sure whether I am referring to my patients or the lawyers out there):D

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
OK, everyone has their opinions. What Ramy chooses to do is up to him. if you disagree, then please, keep your opinion off the forum or take it to PM.

·
Registered
338 Posts
OK, everyone has their opinions. What Ramy chooses to do is up to him. if you disagree, then please, keep your opinion off the forum or take it to PM.
Gosh I hate it when after I have stitched an incision up on one of my patients somehow it gets opened up again:( Whereas I agree we should try to keep PERSONAL criticism out of the forum as much as possible, I do think that a forum such as this is meant to allow healthy opinion exchanges. We are all passionate about something in life and may become a bit vociferous in expressing ourselves, but that doesn't mean we should stifle these interesting exchanges of ideas. Brutal honesty is just that--brutal and honest--and the rest of us don't have to agree with it. What it does mean is that when things get a little heated the rest of us bring a little rationality back into the thread and move on. So which one of you is going to be the first to tell me I am full of excrement.:D (Rab88 I have a tough American bison hide so fire away:D )

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Completely agree, Boomer. Nothing wrong with even a little heated debate, as long as it's free of ad hominem attacks. (Since you're gonna wax medical, I'll do the same legal ;))

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mmm…the dangers of asking about watching the TV whilst in motion! I’ve had A TV in my cars for the last 7+ years and admit the initial novelty meant I often had it on in heavy traffic so I could watch/listen to news etc in stop/start traffic conditions. The moment the car moves forward the picture goes off so I convinced myself it was no more distracting than someone messing about with their CD/radio/sat nav etc. But trying to watch a TV whilst in traffic is pretty frustrating and as 8wilsop says, pretty daft too. Anyway because TV relies for its effective communication on vision as well as sound, listening to the radio usually means you end up with more information than trying to get it via a TV that keeps losing its picture. On one occasion I listened to an episode of something during a motorway journey so I never saw the picture once and so much of it relied on vision I had no idea what had happened! Lesson learned. And I see BMW have modified the settings in the 335 making it much more difficult, if not impossible to access the TV whilst on the move. Maybe Audi have configured theirs in a similar way but I’ve ordered my S5 without one anyway. Over the years I have come to use it less and less and now do so only rarely or just when the engine is off or I’m waiting for someone.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I agree - healthy debate is good - that should be in teh open - its only when a personal attack type situation happens that a bit of Mod intervention is needed ;)

A free flowing forum is a good one :)

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
If you guys want to have a discussion on this subject, then go ahead. BUT, personal attacks will not be tolerated.

This is Ramy's thread - he asked a question, which still - as far as I can see - hasn't been answered. If Ramy wishes for HIS thread to change into a discussion over TV in cars, then that's fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts