Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 1.8TFSI tuned by the dealer (who uses ABT) this week.

Feels great! Kinda makes up for not being able to switch from 1.8TFSI to 2.0TFSI after ordering.

Highly recommended for all 1.8 owners!

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Can you give us any figures Dan?

I looked at the ABT option before but, back then, the difference in 0-60 time was 0.5 second faster faster which didn't seem worth the bother.

Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can you give us any figures Dan?

I looked at the ABT option before but, back then, the difference in 0-60 time was 0.5 second faster faster which didn't seem worth the bother.
Well, I don't have a dyno yet, so I need to rely on the ABT specs for now.
According to the specs the its + 40 bph and 60 Nm.

Originally I wanted to dyno before and after the tuning, but at a whopping 300 euro's for 2 runs, and 1500 for the tuning itself, I skipped the runs for now. ABT isn't cheap, but with full Audi warranty it was well worth the investment imo.

The biggest difference I subjectivly feel is that it feels much faster than before, and keeps pulling in all gears. With the factory setup I felt the car was lacking the "Oomph!" in some gears. Also, less gear changes are needed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the info Dan.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
1500 EUR for chiptuning ? For this price I have chiptuning+Milltek exhaust...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
1500 EUR for chiptuning ? For this price I have chiptuning+Milltek exhaust...
True, but its the only official Audi tuning available. Call it an expensive insurance policy :).

I could have it done at half the price or even less by other tuners, but at least I won't have any warranty or liability issues. (Although I never had any trouble with chiptuning with other cars in the past.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds very tempting Dan! Could you please elaborate a bit on the warrantee issue? To what extend? Is Audi supposed to cover any potential failures in other parts of the engine caused by the remap? Did you have anything else modified at the same time so as to support the extra push of the engine? Isn't it necessary? Shed some light on an ignorant A5 fellow please! Thanx in advance.

George

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Does anyone know whether you can get Audi UK to tune your car 'officially'? :confused: I'd be interested to know whether anyone has had it done and if so how much it costs and what sort of power gains they got from it?
I've got a 3.0TDI and was thinking about perhaps getting it tuned at some point but I guess it would make more sense for Audi to do it if it meant I got to keep the warranty! :D

Cheers

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh, one more thing Dan: How's consumption changed for you after the remap?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't think there is any "Audi official tuning", only dealers sell it and there is no official Audi warranty.
I don't think there is any difference between tuning by "Audi dealer" and serious tuner (which give you engine warranty).

Call or mail Audi UK and they let you know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I don't think there is any "Audi official tuning", only dealers sell it and there is no official Audi warranty.
I don't think there is any difference between tuning by "Audi dealer" and serious tuner (which give you engine warranty).

Call or mail Audi UK and they let you know.
Wrong...it is full warranty bij Audi Netherlands. Factory warranty will not be voided.
Unfortunately, I guess its not availabe in the UK.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sounds very tempting Dan! Could you please elaborate a bit on the warrantee issue? To what extend? Is Audi supposed to cover any potential failures in other parts of the engine caused by the remap? Did you have anything else modified at the same time so as to support the extra push of the engine? Isn't it necessary? Shed some light on an ignorant A5 fellow please! Thanx in advance.
The remap is done at Audi Netherlands (PON) with ABT software. Full factory warranty stays in tact as if there was no tuning.

Some tuners offer engine failure warranty coverage if they chiptune, but then Audi still voids warranty for everything else on the car...such as brakes, clutch, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Some tuners offer engine failure warranty coverage if they chiptune, but then Audi still voids warranty for everything else on the car...such as brakes, clutch, exhaust, etc.
Really not true, make no sense. They only want to justify really big price of Abt tuning.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really not true, make no sense. They only want to justify really big price of Abt tuning.
Actually, I think it makes a lot of sense:
If you modify your car, or any device for that matter, to outperform the factory specs, its sound completely justified the manufacturer waves any warranty on all parts influenced by this adjustment.

However, having that said...I've had several cars chiptuned, some with and some without consent from the dealer or factory, but I never had any tuning related failures. So you'll probably never run into any issues in the end.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've gone from 11.6 to 11.4 L/100. But that could be because of different roads and traffic instead of the remap.
Nothing to do with your right foot then?... ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
The thing that's holding me back is that upon purchase I went for a 3 year warranty expansion which costed me some 600 euros. Now, it would be a shame having Audi denying to cover me for say a broken window motor only because the car is ECU tuned. I guess I 'll have to pay my dealer a visit soon... shake hands, say how satisfied I am and all before I cut to the chase!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Checked with ABT of Greece today and they quoted 1490 euro for the remap. They also told me the remap comes with a 2 year guarantee for all engine parts if the work is to be done by them and that they couldn't answer if that would be the case if other dealers were to do the job using their products even if it was an official Audi dealer. Fair enuff but what happens in the event of a future recall or a software update on behalf of Audi? Are you covered then if your initial Audi dealer warranty is void?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Checked with ABT of Greece today and they quoted 1490 euro for the remap. They also told me the remap comes with a 2 year guarantee for all engine parts if the work is to be done by them and that they couldn't answer if that would be the case if other dealers were to do the job using their products even if it was an official Audi dealer. Fair enuff but what happens in the event of a future recall or a software update on behalf of Audi? Are you covered then if your initial Audi dealer warranty is void?
The ABT warranty is more or less the same as other tuners offer.
The difference with the "Tuned by Audi" option which is available in The Netherlands is that Audi Netherlands has approved the ABT software themselves and offers/keeps the full factory warranty, not just the engine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts