Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

this is my first post and sorry if this has been done to death but all the pages i have seen seem refer to tuning older S5s than mine.

So My S5 is coming up to 3 years old and will be out of warranty in March. Its nicely run in having only dony 18500 miles. I want to have it tuned but have no idea of the best way to go. Complete novice here!

Who does the best mods for an S5 - ABT seems to be the best given the VW Audi DTM heritage other etc - do i have a remap of get a new ECU ?
How do i ensure Audi can't tell when they do diagnostics ?

Budget would be about a grand and although i want more power and torque i don't really want to change engine parts etc (thinking of when i come to resell / trade in at an audi dealer) and put too much pressure on the auto gear box.
I assume brakes and exhausts will cope fine - i have seen figures of about another 77 horsepower quoted - would like to get it as close to RS5 performance as safely as possible without killing the car

Has anyone done what i am hoping to do the UK who has any recommendations or lessons learnt. I am in the west midlands so who am i best to take it to ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The problem is, it is still a relatively new car, so some tuners have played with it and got it to around 420bhp. Not for off the RS's 450bhp!

The car will take those figures! Isn't the gearbox back to the old torque converter 8 speed as it can take more power than the DSG?

With the B8 S5, sooo many tuning companies have been developing different parts etc, that well over 500bhp can be had from the Supercharged engine.

I think without changing the turbo etc, around 420bhp will be the limit of the standard setup. But I think will be very reliable.

Most say that dealers won't notice a remap under a normal service, only if they have an update to the ECU or TCU where it may get wiped. But most mappers will load the tune back on if that happens!

I went to More-BHP in Crewe. It is my 3rd remap with them (on different cars :) ) But they don't list the 3.0 turbo, just the Supercharged, although it does say 3.0 TFSI, so could be both engines!? Give them a ring or email.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The Bosch ECU on the B9 was only recently cracked. It needs to be "bench unlocked" prior to OBD flashing, but fortunately due to is position in the engine bay the "bench" is the engine bay. APR hasn't released their's yet as they are still working on it - shouldn't be long now. There are other tuners working on or have already released remaps, but as Dave noted, the B9 engine is a brand new design so it might take a while to know for sure which remaps are safe. APR does a significant amount of testing to develop their maps. Others may not.

Most of the other offerings, including ABT, will be "piggy back". The cheaper ones are simple (fool the ECU into believing that the measured boost is less than it really is) and the expensive ones (e.g. ABT are complete ECUs piggy-backing on the car's ECU). If you are out of warranty then why do you care about dealer detection? However if you must avoid it then these piggy-back units can be removed (ones such as ABT require much more effort than the cheaper ones).

The ZF slushbox does have a limit - which is why they come in different versions (I believe that the RS one is rated higher). However exceeding the limit probably just means the oil overheating - not so bad as doing the same for a DSG.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts