Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car arrived at 8am but I've been stuck on calls all morning and have only had a quick 5 min drive between calls. It's agonising seeing it parked outside on the drive and not being able to just take off.

I do, however, have some immediate observations:

- it's so much more refined than my A3 diesel was
- the 1.8T appears to have more poke than I expected although moving to manual after 3 years of DSG has left me struggling a little with 1st gear acceleration and my left ankle is already acheing ;)
- parking brake and hold assist work really well if you can learn to leave 'em to it and stop fiddling with the buttons :eek:
- people do gawp when the DRLs are on, don't they? :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Congrats TLU, get out and drive it now !!! Oh and get some pics up soon. Can't say I miss the bug !!!;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice one, but you are dying to get out in it properly. I have the Quartz grey on order, but not seen one in it close up, so would love to know what you think of the colour ?

·
Registered
636 Posts
WOHOOO!

One of the best feelings in the world isn't it.

No prizes for guessing what TLU is doing this weekend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats, great news. I am close to gasket blowing with anticipation:eek:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
:D how did you get that to work ???

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
:D how did you get that to work ???
Ian, do not share that information PLEASE! Otherwise, this forum will soon be infested with all sorts of critters and Andrew will be forced to fumigate the place. :D

Congrats, Tuff!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice one, but you are dying to get out in it properly. I have the Quartz grey on order, but not seen one in it close up, so would love to know what you think of the colour ?
I have the Quartz grey and I have to say, in my opinion (and my wife's) it is definitely the classiest looking colour out there. The colour practically matches the 19" Y wheels and together the whole thing just turns heads everytime you drive it. The colour is BEAUTIFUL!!

A little schoolboy nearly walked into a bus stop when I passed him this morning. He turned around to see me go past and when he turned back to keep walking nearly did himself an injury. And then of course, cause I was watching him in the rear-view, chucking, I nearly went into the back of the guy in front of me. This happens all the time! Audi should publish warnings about that! :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congratulations - shmokin'!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The wait is over Enjoy. With such a nice weekend on the cards we will expect Pics:D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow - thanks for the responses all.

Sods law says that whilst most of the UK is set for our first sunny weekend, it's set to piss it down in Leeds. Then again, every cloud ... this gives me a fantastic excuse for a long drive :)

After all the waiting I was a little worried that my expectations for the car would be too high but I have still been absolutely blown away.

I've had a bit more of a drive tonight and am forming some thoughts on the 1.8T which may be useful to those looking to make a decision (including all the lurkers out there - join, you buggers!). The 1.8T is a fantastic engine for me and the way I drive but I've already noticed it doesn't seem to have quite the same mid range grunt my A3 2.0Tdi DSG did so i'll say with some confidence that it won't be right for everyone. Having said that, the 1.8T is still way better than I expected and it does shift. Those of you out there with the bigger engines must feel like fighter pilots when you put your foot down.

I'll give it a few more days and then post a more considered "first thoughts" review once I've got used to a manual gearbox again (thank the lord of hold assist!).

To anyone about to put an order in for any A5/S5 in the next week or so I would thoroughly recommend that you ensure you have the following options which cost bugger all in the grand scheme of things:
- Audi hold assist
- storage pack
I'm also very impressed with the pricier B & O sound and electric seats.

I found a little feature I've not seen referenced before ... do all A5's have the two little drop down carrier bag hooks in the boot/trunk or is this only with the storage pack. They're brilliant as I found on my trip to Sainsbury's White Rose tonight (does anyone here own the black 57 plate 3.0Tdi parked just outside?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats Tuff!

Won't be too much longer before another quartz grey A5 joins yours on the streets of Leeds. Hope you won't mind the slight decline in exclusivity - maybe we ought to do some convoy driving - give the punters a double whammy?!:D

Enjoy the car

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When's yours due Bifta? 3.0TDI - very nice!

Loads of A5 owners on here already from our area but still very few seen on the roads. I wonder what the A5 owner to A5_OC member ratio is, after all this is a great little community.

I love Quartz Grey ... my car's looked about 10 different shades of silver and grey today and none of them were naff. Around lunchtime today it looked almost ice silver above the "waistline" and dolphin grey at the sides - wow. The waistline was so pronounced it was freaky - almost like the car was painted in two different colours.

On this forum the colour has been described in many ways; some see it as navy grey, others with a blue tint, others as looking like steel or titanium ... today I've seen my car look all these colours and I've only had it about 10 hours.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
TLU thanks for the comparison to the 2.0TDI, did you have 140ps or 170ps one? I have the 140 TDI A4 at the moment. Not long left for myself now :)
Hi Robb

I had a 140 TDI with DSG. It was noisy and a little crude but pretty nippy and very economical ... and now I have my A5 I know it handled like a dog. It wasn't my driving after all! I say this because over 3 years I developed a knack of being able to "slew" the A3 around roundabouts, throwing the backend out whilst the front wheels scrabbled for purchase ... and all due to the weight in the nose and its very forward position. It took quite some time to master this and my wife/kids used to hate it (I should point out that I'm talking pretty low speeds here - 30-40mph). I've done one of my local roundabouts about 6 times today and the A5 has much better manners and goes exactly where you tell it to go (at least so far). It almost takes the fun out of it!

Elaborating on your question about the A3...
When I chose the A3 (not A5) I also tested an A4 S-line 2.0TDI manual and a BMW 320d SE. My company gets extended test drives of 3 days min so I had a good go at each. The bimmer was the best drive by quite a way IMHO but it made my kids sick in the back and the looks of the car inside and out made me sick too. The A4 was good but the combination of the 2.0TDI unit coupled with DSG in the A3, plus the practicality of a hatch with 2 young kids made it an easy choice for me at the time (the A4 was a more refined drive but not as much fun and harder to get 2 pushchairs into). I say all this because my perceptions were that the A3 was a slightly "sportier" car than the equivalent A4 which brings me on to comparisons of the A3 with the A5.

Ignoring the massively superior interior of the A5 over both the B7 A4 and the A3 and focussing purely on the engine/handling, overall my initial thoughts are that the A5 1.8TFSI is a much better car and has the other two for breakfast. The engine is normally quiet but I've had the odd little growl/rasp out of it which has made me grin like an idiot ... I kind of expected it to whine for some reason. Acceleration from a standing start is pretty good and as I've stated above having spent 3 years in an auto I'm still getting used to the gear change ritual so I'm probably labouring the release of the clutch in 1st for several seconds more than I need to (it's like learning to drive again but I feel so much more "engaged" in a manual than I did with DSG ... I feel switched on again, just with a sore left ankle).
Midrange acceleration is good but not to the extent of being great. An example: I live quite close to the M62 (and the M1 and the M621) and there's a bit where I enter the M62 on a slip road at about 60mph and then used to hoof it over to the right hand side at about 85-90mph (sorry officer!). For those familiar with the area it's the bit on the M62 heading East just before the M1 interchange (it's 4 lanes wide and splits into 3 bits: M1 N, M1 S and M62 E). Well, I tried the same trick tonight and found the 1.8T just lacking that little bit. The A5 didn't run out of steam and did what I needed, it just didn't pick up in quite the same way as the A3 used to. So, nothing upsetting it's just that the punch I used to have in the A3 diesel wasn't quite there and coming from the A4 I think you may notice this too. The car afficionados on here will no doubt tell me this is a torque thing.

For me this is not a problem ... it's very rare for me to do this sort of manoeuvre and I can easily adapt my driving style to match the car without feeling in the slightest like I've lost out. I'm pretty confident, however, that others would find it just slightly frustrating.

To all 1.8TFSI owners - please don't take this as criticism as it's most definitely not. I think this car is fantastic with a 1.8 and I'm in heaven, I'm just trying to be honest. If you like properly fast cars that go like the proverbial from a stick and you're operating on a sub £30,000 budget then the 1.8 is not for you (you can go be one of the Subaru knobs that tried to run me off the road today). However, if you like a gorgeous car with a great balance between performance and economy then I think the A5 1.8TFSI is just what you should be test driving.

Erm ... that's almost a review isn't it? Note that I've only spent about an hour behind the wheel so my views may change!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts