Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

I don't post too often here...but curious to gain some opinions and insights.

I have a 2008 2.0T TT. I love the nimbleness of it, the rush of the turbo, the tunability, and its looks. Lately, though, I have been thinking of making a change to an A/S 5 because the larger back seat would be useful sometimes.

Anybody in here switch from a TT to an S5? If I go the S5 route, I will wait for the 3.0V6. But how do you find the handling, performance etc compared to the TT? I know is a touring car, but I'm afraid of 'wallowing'. How is the performance with the 3.2s?

And last question....anyone here have feedback on Audi Drive Select?

Cheers all!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I've had loads of driving experience with the MK2 3.2 V6 TT and the 2.0 TFSI FWD MK2 aswell, we had both for quite sometime.

Without a doubt the TT is much more nible and dynamic, this is simply because the A5/S5 is heavier. Having said that the S5 handles great and is just so much more refined and spacious when compared to the TT.

I guess it really depends on what you want out of the car, I did intend to buy the TT-RS when I first got wind of it about 18 months ago but then for the same reason as your looking for (back seats) I decided it just wouldn't be any good to me so I got the S5. Which i'm glad I did, as since having the car i've been back in the new TT-S and although it is a great car, I wouldn't take it over my S5.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've never owned a TT but my wife drives my old MKV Golf GTi which is only two months older than my S5.

I may be flamed here but IMHO it's reasonable to compare the Golf GTi handling characteristics with the TT. (Power is nearly identical)

I love driving both cars, the GTi has DSG which the S5 desperately needs as an option. So my GTi is much more plug'n'play "FUN". Instantly smiling and tearing through most city traffic situations.

5's win hands down, on looks and power, but will never have the "chuck-ability" of a TT or GTi.

My advice: try and get your wife/GF to take over your TT and buy a 5. That way you'll have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have both, an 08 TT 3.2 and an 09 A5 3.2. If you are looking for a larger backseat, the A/S 5 is not much better than the TT for back seat space. There is a bit more headroom, but leg room is fairly sparse unless you plan on hauling children around. If my wife scoots her seat forward then there is ample room in the back seat for a smaller person. I'm 6'1 and don't fit back there too well.

As for handling, I have the S-line upgrade with the sports suspension, and both my TT and A5 can take a turn about the same, but the TT does feel a lot more nimble because of it's gearing and size; it seems I'm always in the juicy spot of the powerband on the TT because of the gearing (both cars are 6 speed manual transmissions).

The TT is a fun city car, whereas the A5 is a much better highway cruiser.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
We had an 08 TT 2.0TFsi. Phantom Black Magma Red, 19in RS4's + a few toys.

We loved the engine performance and economy but hated the handling and feeling of insecurity whilst driving. SOLD and now loving the A5!

Disagree with the comment by Shane about the back seats. TT rear is impossible for 2 unless front seat occupants are midgets. A5 on the other hand is acceptable for 3 if F/seat passenger compromises and acceptable for 4 if driver is able to have seat froward a couple of notches. It's not an A8 but a different league from the TT (trapped toes?)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My missus has a 2008 TT 2.0T roadster and whilst I don't drive it terribly often (I have my image to think of after all) I've grown to appreciate it as a fine car on the occasions when I take it for a blast. The TT MKII 2.0 is renowned as a pretty capable drivers' car - sure it has faults but it's a quantum leap from the MkI and there's been few criticisms of its handling or accusations of 'insecurity' until RG's above (sure it's the car that's prompting those emotions RG?). The rags pretty much love it - it's typically a 4 star out of 5 road test performer.

I love the 'pointiness' after the relative heft of the S5. I love the way the front wheels can be placed perfectly on an apex with the throttle. I think the engine is a peach and I enjoy the rasp and burble of the turbo 4-pot through the standard (she won't let me get an APS catalogue near hers!) exhaust. It's 'chuckable. It's fun.

In essence, I enjoy it because it's different to the S5 in so may respects. However, I think Shane's comparison is more valid due to the similar engines and the fact that the 3.2 TT is a less agile. more nose-heavy car and perhaps more akin to the A5 in terms of the overall experience. That said, the 3.2 TT (and the 2.0) for that matter) are no slouches and I think that either of them will feel more sprightly and agile than any of the petrol As.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RGB...insecure...as in hairdresser insecure or safety insecure? For me, the TT is one of the most sure-footed cars out their and is infinitely maneuverable. Combined with the Audi Space Frame and the fact that you sit low in the car, I feel wrapped in aluminum and steel and VERY secure. And the MKII's performance is no hairdresser...especially after a little tuning.

BUT...RGB if you could elaborate on what aspects of the TT's handling you didn't like, that might really help me better understand the A5's characteristics. I have taken one on a test drive, but with the sales guy/nanny in the passenger seat, and the fact that it is a first drive, obviously I never came anywhere near the limit...whereas with my TT I have had an occasion or two with the ESP light blinking and keeping me on the safe side of the abyss!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have both cars in the family. TT is definitely more of a lively drive and feels quicker than my 2.0T. Back seats are atrocious though. The back of the A5 is fine for passengers and it is definitely usable. I have carried two 6 footers in the back who found it comfortable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have both cars in the family. TT is definitely more of a lively drive and feels quicker than my 2.0T. Back seats are atrocious though. The back of the A5 is fine for passengers and it is definitely usable. I have carried two 6 footers in the back who found it comfortable.
+1

I have driven the 2.0TT and own a 2.0 A5

The TT is more nimble and more fun to drive

The A5 is more comfortable and more practical

I have also driven two friends in the back of my A5 for a 1.5 hr journey (one friend is 6ft 3" and about 15 stone and they both thought it was surprisingly spacous back there. Its a bit of a squeeze getting in and out but once your in its fine (Im 6ft 1" and have sat back there to test it out)

·
Registered
457 Posts
We had an 08 TT 2.0TFsi. Phantom Black Magma Red, 19in RS4's + a few toys.

We loved the engine performance and economy but hated the handling and feeling of insecurity whilst driving. SOLD and now loving the A5!

Disagree with the comment by Shane about the back seats. TT rear is impossible for 2 unless front seat occupants are midgets. A5 on the other hand is acceptable for 3 if F/seat passenger compromises and acceptable for 4 if driver is able to have seat froward a couple of notches. It's not an A8 but a different league from the TT (trapped toes?)
I guess my post did come across a bit vague. I was describing the rear seat room in the A5, not the TT. The TT's rear seat is only good for extra storage. I was actually suprised how much fits in the hatch of the TT when the rear seats are folded (we fit 6 bags of mulch back there...wrapping the whole thing in plastic of course).

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have just moved from a TT 2.0 Front drive to an A5 Quattro. I agree with RGBargee that the TT feels insecure in comparison to a Quattro especially on bigger wheels.
Trust me, the Quattro makes a huge difference in the TT. Both my TT and A5 are 3.2 V6, 6sp manual, and Quattro, so they are a much better pair to compare than a FWD vs AWD model.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I absolutely love the looks of the TT. It's such a great little car in my opinion. I think the TTS or TTRS would be even better and I may have considered one of those over the S5 if space was not an issue.

I say space, because I had four in my S5 in a five hour journey each way to and from Wales over last weekend. None of us are small people and the room in the back was much better than we all feared before we set off. I'm not even remotely confident that I could have done that in the TT.

I've driven a TT and yes it definitely does feel more nimble cornering. The S5 is no slouch in any regard but the smaller frame of the TT lends itself to throwing about more, I think.

Over the two, i'm still glad I bought the '5. There aren't that many of them on the roads still so people do turn their heads and watch as I go by. The same thing is probably less prevalent with the TT.

Both great cars though. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.