Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much else to say but , is this normal? Seems like I need to put decent amount of pressure for it to stay closed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doesn't take a lot of pressure IMHO, just can't simply swing it down and expect the weight of the trunk lid to be enough to lock it in place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
to keep fingerprints away from the boot top, i just grab the inside handle and swing down the boot as fast as i can whilst pulling my hand out of the way at the very last split-second, which is quite a challenge. it latches fine, since i got my technique perfected!

·
Registered
58 Posts
hard to close

i rarely use it but yes i had several instances where it swung back at me, at this price i think it should have an automatic close button.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
to keep fingerprints away from the boot top, i just grab the inside handle and swing down the boot as fast as i can whilst pulling my hand out of the way at the very last split-second, which is quite a challenge. it latches fine, since i got my technique perfected!

+1 :D

There have been a few occasions where I didn't give it enough of a tug, resulting in the lid immediately swinging back up. I always use the inside handle for the same reason as you.

Interestingly, I found that the S5 trunk (boot) lid is a bit heavier when closing it, compared to trunk lid on the A5 that I previously owned. I'm guessing the additional weight can be attributed to the fact that the S5's trunk lid has a bit more metal in it due to its more pronounced integrated spoiler.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks guys,

I am okay with it being the way it is - just wanted to make sure mine wasn't defective or something along those lines.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I find it surprisingly easy to close, and I'm at a distinct disadvantage (I am always seated ;) ). I'm not able to reach the top of the trunk when it is open and it would be difficult for me to get the necessary leverage anyway, so I have a rope (with a handle at the lower end) attached to the inside of the trunk lid. I just grab the handle on the rope and pull it down almost all the way, then push down on the lip below the license plate to finish closing it. (I just have to make sure I keep the rope inside the trunk.) I have noticed quite often that other people who are standing also use the rope to close my trunk. Others here might find the rope approach helpful too, as pulling is sometimes easier the pushing. Also, by putting my hand on that lower lip of the trunk lid I avoid fingerprints on the top of the trunk.

That was probably more information than anyone needed! Sorry!

·
Registered
412 Posts
License Plate Handle

I found this old thread and I think I found the answer to the trunk being difficult to close, that is not touching the paint while closing it.
It is called a license plate handle and it mounts under the rear license plate and provides a lip to push down on. For some reason I am having trouble uploading the pict of it on my car, sorry.
I have installed this on my A5 almost as soon as I got the car and for the past few months it's worked just as I thought. No potential scratches or swirls marks especially on a Deep Sea Blue paint job.
I got mine from Goodspeed Motoring out of CA and it was $17 w/o shipping. I hope this helps.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/license-plate-mounted-conveniency-trunk-handle.html

·
Registered
337 Posts
On my UK spec car there is a handle recess inside the bootlid ( trunk ) on the right hand side that allows you to easily close it without leaving fingerprints on the paintwork ! Maybe some folks haven't discovered this ???

·
Registered
40 Posts
when I'm alone I'll swing the trunk down fast & hard enough by using the handle inside to close it.
But it looks just weird LOL
When a customer of mine walks me to my car, I usually put 2 or 3 fingers on one of the rear lights and then gently push the trunk down ... otherwise I often get that "do you really have to do it like that?" look :)

maybe I just need to practice it some more ...

·
Registered
412 Posts
On my UK spec car there is a handle recess inside the bootlid ( trunk ) on the right hand side that allows you to easily close it without leaving fingerprints on the paintwork ! Maybe some folks haven't discovered this ???

On US spec A5s we have the same recessed handle on the inside of the boot. I find that I have to sort of whip the lid closed as XXX_A5 does. I don't like to slam the lid, especially when my daughter is around. My A4 Avant had the same type of handle but that was much larger and the weight of it helped close it so no need for slamming.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Finally able to post a pict with the license plate handle installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doesn't take a lot of pressure IMHO, just can't simply swing it down and expect the weight of the trunk lid to be enough to lock it in place.
I believe the salesman told me that the trunk is fiberglass and not metal on
the A5. This could be part of the problem as to not enough weight to close
that easy. He also mentioned while I am on the subject of fiberglass that the
front fenders and the hood are fiberglass as well.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe the salesman told me that the trunk is fiberglass and not metal on
the A5. This could be part of the problem as to not enough weight to close
that easy. He also mentioned while I am on the subject of fiberglass that the
front fenders and the hood are fiberglass as well.

Regards,
Steve
Yea, my salesman had some wild ideas too. The hood and fenders are made of aluminum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts