Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Average on Computer 2 over 2500 miles has been 37.9 mpg. An motorway am getting 44 mpg. I get between 490 and 530 miles to a tank.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
It depends entirely on how you drive it.

On average on the motorway, driving at around 70-80MPH I get 42MPG.

In town it's usually betweem 17-21 mpg. Although i've seen it drop at low as 14 in stop-start traffic.

I drive mostly on the motorway, so I can expect around 490miles for my full tank of fuel. It would be much different if you're normally in city traffic.

If you're willing to drive at 50mph on every motorway, you can even expect to go as high as 58mpg, which I achieved on may home from edinburgh with my space-saver on a few months back:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/today-averaged-58-629/index.html?t=629&highlight=58.8mpg

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i get more than in stop start traffic in aberdeen, usually around 28mpg...

i can go on a full tank of fuel, aberdeen - edinburgh - aberdeen - a weeks worth of town driving - edinburgh then fuel is required.... thats alot of mileage!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
17-21mpg in Town sounds very low for a diesel, I was hoping for at least late 20's?

So how much does it usually cost (£) to fill the Car up from empty if you're getting nearly 500 miles to the Tank?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
25miles to garage to full 59 quid up in aberdeen @£1.09p

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have never seen less than about 33mpg on a reasonable distance of travel- say over 100 miles total, even around town. 40 mpg or more is quite easy on the motorway. Cost of a tankful depends- i only use the Shell v-power which is expensive but claims to give you more power; the most it has cost me to fill a fairly empty tank is £46, but you can work it out 65 litres is the tank size.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
theres actually no difference between the cheaper and more expensive not in diesel anyway, petrol yes the performance is better for the engine but i would not pay the extra for the same but that comes from working for shell for many a year now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've never seen less than 33mpg either.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
whats the point of shell v power diesel? just marketing?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
most likey from what my colleagues tell me its the packaging....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm not a TDI but on my travels up from London to Edinburgh I got 320 miles out of a full tank in the S5 going at 85mph using the cruise control. Not bad if you ask me.

230 - 250 miles if its all town driving.

Overall after 2300 miles I get about 250 miles out of a tank. Rubbish in comparison to the TDI but not bad for a 4.2 V8.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
my 3.0 v6 petrol engine got my 450 easy on a dual combination town/country driving

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
most likey from what my colleagues tell me its the packaging....
Not at all. Normal diesel hs a value of 51 Cetane points. Shell "Extra" has around 55, while Shell v-power diesel is estimated to be 57 cetane points.

BP Ultimate has a guaranteed 55 cetane points.

Seriously, I do notice a difference in performance with the more expensive fuels. And that's all I use. Shell v-power diesel (but it's hard to find a station that sells it)

Have had to use the cheaper fuel from time to time due to some garages not stocking it, and the performance is certainly different.

Acheived the figures in my signature while running v-power diesel!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
That makes the TDI MPG seem crap then in comparison.
hmm, I dont think so. The town is most definitely the worst. And country roads aren't all straight enough for you to keep up a constant speed.

I think i'd be expecting a dramatic difference between what I get out of a Tank and what Jen gets out of a Tank.

Believe me, the A5 in town acts like a 3.0 Petrol from what I see on my MPG gauge. But maybe that's just Friday nights in Glasgow :)

What do you get in town with the S5, Saj?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
hmm, I dont think so. The town is most definitely the worst. And country roads aren't all straight enough for you to keep up a constant speed.

I think i'd be expecting a dramatic difference between what I get out of a Tank and what Jen gets out of a Tank.

Believe me, the A5 in town acts like a 3.0 Petrol from what I see on my MPG gauge. But maybe that's just Friday nights in Glasgow :)

What do you get in town with the S5, Saj?
S5 is giving me about 200 - 250 miles on a full tank around town depending on how I drive although I could make it go as low as 150 miles without too much trouble.

I do tend to cruz at the speed limit so people can get a good look (yes posing I know but can't help it, i'm sure it will ware off soon enough) as I'm still enjoying the fact that people fall over themselves to look at the car.

But what I ment about the TDI MPG was that if Jen got 450 out of a tank from a 3.0 V6 petrol engine then I would have expected the TDI to easily better that.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
S5 is giving me about 200 - 250 miles on a full tank around town depending on how I drive although I could make it go as low as 150 miles without too much trouble.

I do tend to cruz at the speed limit so people can get a good look (yes posing I know but can't help it, i'm sure it will ware off soon enough) as I'm still enjoying the fact that people fall over themselves to look at the car.

But what I ment about the TDI MPG was that if Jen got 450 out of a tank from a 3.0 V6 petrol engine then I would have expected the TDI to easily better that.
Orite, sorry. I read Jen's post wrong. I thought it was a TDI she had.

Jen, you're really getting 450 out of a tank :eek: :eek: Your tank's only 1 litre bigger than mine!

Course, I can be a bit heavy footed on the motorway :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've never seen less than 33mpg either.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
my a5 is also a 3.0 but its a tdi

A4 = 3.0 v6 petrol approx 450 miles per tank (very heavy as it was a convertible)
A5 = 3.0 v6 TDI approx 470 miles per tank

both doing the same journeys

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.