Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a trickle charger on their A5, S5 or RS5?
I’m planning to get one for my vehicle early August. I intend to store my car over the six winter months - November to April - so want a means of keeping my battery in good health.
When I get it I’ll let you know which one I went for and if its easy to use and does what it should.

· Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
391 Posts
Yeah, just connect up and job done. The one I got came with both battery clamps or a permanent connection with a plug on the end which connects to the charger.

· Registered
76 Posts
Reactions: SimonRoma

· Registered
483 Posts
+1 as I decided to maintain rather than replace mine- even though its still the original, so I first got one of these Ancel testers to check it's still ok, and then optimised it with a Ctek 5.0 on a regen cycle:
ANCEL BA101 12V Auto Battery Tester 100-2000 CCA 220AH AGM GEL Battery Analyzer
CTEK MXS 5.0 12v Car Bike Caravan Smart 8Step Fully Automatic Battery Charger

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So these devices seem to get nothing but positive reviews from you guys. I intend to use my one like A5 Blue but potentially over a 6 month period. I like the idea of a permanent fused connection lead for ease of use.

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got my Ctek battery trickle charger and have it fitted to test. Reading the instructions it’s straight forward. Select the mode and let it work through 8 different conditioning steps. There is a “Recond”, recondition mode to optimise and restore a dead battery. I’ll see how it performs long term when the RS goes into winter hibernation 31st October.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Like you guys I have always used these for my bikes and sometimes I have also used them on the car and van. I find the CTek to be excellent products I have never had any problems. I started with the basic one and more recently I have 2 of the 5.0 versions and they are simply great. My bike batteries now last up to 6 years (Yuasa) against 2 to 3 without using the trickle chargers.
Note that CTek also supply these to many car and bike manufacturers, and with the brand name of the manufacturer they usually cost much more!!

· Registered
41 Posts
I bought my 2015 A5 in 2017 and at times it would be parked up for 2-3 weeks during winter until in the winter of 2021 I started getting signs of battery not holding a charge so I guessed the original battery needed replacing being it was 6 years old. I bought a Bosch S5 from Tayna in March 2022 and this winter as the car is parked up more often than usual due to working from home and only using the car on a weekend every couple of weeks, could the battery have deteriorated, because now less than 12 months old, I've had a couple of instances with low voltage and yesterday it was less than 9v and needed to jump start. Strangely though I did use the car during the week and started ok and no issues, so was surprised the battery was dead.

Can anyone recommend the best option, firstly how to check if the batter is still in good condition, secondly the best float charger.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I’m an advocate of the Ctek but I’d maybe try find out if you have a parasitic drain.

· Registered
41 Posts
Well I’m an advocate of the Ctek but I’d maybe try find out if you have a parasitic drain.
I had a 100 mile run on Saturday and when I got back I checked to see if alternator was charging the battery and I got 14.8v while idle, (which I guess proves it's not the alt, right?) this dropped to 12.2v with the engine off, but Sunday morning it just about started.

· Registered
41 Posts
It's laughable because Tayna state that a battery discharging is not a fault and is normal behaviour of a battery to which I agree, but I am not suggesting the battery is discharging I'm stating the battery is not holding a charge because when it's charged it immediately drops voltage, 4v in less than 24 hours to the point I can't start the car.

Then I got a lesson in how the alternator works.

· Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
611 Posts
We don't drive our '14 A4Q that much since changing jobs in early 2018, so when the car is parked in our garage for more than a few days, I have our starter battery connected to a CTEK like this: A Permanent CTEK Battery Charger/Maintainer Install
Of course, it helps to have an enclosed garage for the permanent installation. --g

1 - 20 of 35 Posts