Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I totally agree. The transmission bump is a massive problem. I have owned and loved Audi vehicles for years. My last being the A4 dtm b7. All Audi vehicles up to that point had a amazing driving position with a well positioned rest pedal even on the manuals. The problem is the transmission tunnel bump twists your body to the right and the off set steering wheel and pedals just add to this. I have owned my A5 for 2 weeks only driving short distances and now my back is really bad. The rest of the car is magnificent. Such a shame Audi has now followed all lesser manufacturers in putting cost in front of making the ultimate car. I am going to try to sort out the driving position. If i can't then Audi have lost a customer

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Goodness, I had never read about this before. I can be smug cos mine is LHD, but I guess they have to make space somewhere for the drive shafts and the exhaust. I remember driving a V12 E Type Jag once for a few miles and if the outside temperature was anything but cold, then the exhaust quickly made the car really hot and AWFUL on a warm to hot day!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I may be harsh here but i've no real sympathy for people about this one.
Given that the original post was in 2012 and the A5 had been around for 4 years, then the original op should have done some research.
Now that the car has been around for some 12 years (in various versions) then people cant complain.

I cant say from a personal POV that i've noticed an issue in a RHD witht the offset. And that's when i been commuting to work for 3 hrs a day (1.5 hrs each way).

#firstworldproblems #buyacomfyhyundaiinstead

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good point but I was not suggesting that Audi build two chassis , that would never happen as you rightly say for cost reasons, I'm suggesting they redesign the footwell area so it's wide enough on both sides . I know this is possible as 90% of other car makers have done it ! 76 countries is still allot of sales after all . I don't mind compromises for rear seat passengers ,it is a coupe after all ,but come on Audi get it right for the DRIVER
Totally agree i have found the same issue with my a5. I have driven and owned plenty of cars and also raced pro for years. I owned a audi a4 dtm b7 for 8 years. Most comfortable car i have ever driven. Bought an a5 quattro a month ago and dont even want to drive it. It hurts my back so much. I have looked into this incessantly. And you are correct. It is the trans tunnel ocomadating the exhaust. The seat is offset to the right which makes you fall out of the seat on roundabouts. The pedals in turn are set to the right and you have to put your right foot so far to the right it only amplifies the twisted position. It is a massive oversite. I have taken dimensions and even fitting a recaro on a adjustable base plate and lifting the rest pedal wouldn't sort it. I have loved audi for years. The car is amazing but that tunnel and driving position means until its sorted audi has lost a customer. Just to add i was a audi master tech for years so i have seen and driven most of the audi range. A5 hadn't come out when i left audi otherwise would never would have bought one. Only audi that has a inline good driving position now is a1 to a3 and the mpv. Going to buy a bmw m4

21 - 25 of 25 Posts