Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all right-hand A5 owners , is it just me or does the large hump in the transmission tunnel really annoy you ? Even though I have an auto A5 my left foot still has to rest at an awkward angle . Now I know the hump is for the exhaust pipe to wiggle it's way round the transmission but it's a bit much to have to put up with on a car of this prestige and . . . er . . . cost !

I know it's a German designed car and so it's fine in Left-hand drive cars but I can't believe a solution to this basic problem could not have been solved , after all allot of these cars are sold in right-hand drive areas . I'd say never piss off the person who might be buying your car , which is usually the driver in this class of car . I'm hoping that a few more owners might comment on this and that Audi may think a bit more carefully before signing off on their next generation A5 , which I may not buy if they haven't !

Also some more attention would be appreciated in making the seats more comfy . Firm seats + stiff'ish suspension = annoyed driver . Audi please have a look at Volvo seats ! Re-brand them with your logo and stick them in your next A5 . You could have two seat options to choose from , Comfort seats and Sports seats ( sports seats for owners who don't care about their spine ! )

Right rant over . . . for now !

Eric (A5 Coupe , 2.0Tfsi S-tronic , SE , Quattro ,Scuba Blue )

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Based on this animation, it looks like the space is for the front axle drive propeller shaft for the Quattro system.

http://youtu.be/xZ9x9jHkTrg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the 'Hump' !

Based on this animation, it looks like the space is for the front axle drive propeller shaft for the Quattro system.

Crown Gear Differential - Audi Emotion Club AUDIclopedia - YouTube
Thanks Vodka , I liked the animation . I still think it's more to do with the exhaust , have a look at this picture-

Audi A5 2.0T FSI Cabriolet

It's probably a bit of both but it still does not excuse this basic design error which must annoy most 'right-hand-drive' owners ? If this is a problem in any other make of coupe please let me know , I don't think it is ?

If this has not been solved in the next A5 generation I may have to get my left foot amputated ! !

P.S. All left-hand- drive owners can sit there feeling a little bit smug as they don't have this problem !

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Well, I have a manual tranny RHD, but I've got to say I've never noticed it tbh! Maybe I'm easily pleased?! ;)

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
61 Posts
Couldn't agree more with you Eric. For some reason I didn't notice it on the test drive (probably too busy getting excited about all the good features of the car) but I find the offset driving position in my RHD auto really uncomfortable. I find myself sitting with my left ankle bent over - and I'm not even tall. I thought it's something I would get used to but it hasn't improved.

I'd never buy another car with this design. So that probably means this will be my first and last A5 . . .

Like you, I can't understand why no-one else is picking this up.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Absolutely with you and something that I have disliked for a long time. The main issue for me is long journeys, when I have been driving for about an hour and a half my a*se starts to hurt and the only solution is to stop and get out for a stretch. Years ago, the original BMW M3 had the exhaust re-routed for RHD cars, which apparently took about 20BHP out of its engine, which is why so many LHD ones came to the UK!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
To be honest we have had dozens of VW/Audis over the years and never experienced a problem. Yes pedals slightly offset but have never been seen as a pain in the a*5e like some folks.

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The offset clutch pedal takes a bit of gettin used to but once I adapted to it I don't even have to think about it any more.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The offset clutch pedal takes a bit of gettin used to but once I adapted to it I don't even have to think about it any more.
What sort of mileage do you do? I admit that it may be different with auto transmission but the offset with manual is quite considerable.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What sort of mileage do you do? I admit that it may be different with auto transmission but the offset with manual is quite considerable.
About 7k a year.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
........which may go some way to explaining why it's more of a problem for me at 24k a year. Also noticed that the leather on the edge of the seat has worn a bit.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
........which may go some way to explaining why it's more of a problem for me at 24k a year. Also noticed that the leather on the edge of the seat has worn a bit.

:no:

What on earth has wear on the edge of the seat got to do with offset pedals.. Pay attention and avoid scuffing your arse on the seats!

RG

·
Registered
550 Posts
Bloody studs on jeans is what causes that,trying to avoid that at the minute!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
....and trying to squeeze in though doors that are too big to open properly in car parks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've found Lycra leggings solve both problems.......

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
....and trying to squeeze in though doors that are too big to open properly in car parks.
Funny that a lot of people say this. I actually thought the doors were surprisingly short. I had a Scirocco before and the doors on them are massive in comparison.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I actually think that the problem is less one with the car and more of the supermarkets trying to squeeze as many cars in as possible. Costco (and recently my squash club) have the parking spaces at an angle which seems to solve the problem in most cases. I do like the Lycra idea though........:)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
There are 164 countries and territories that drive on the right and 76 countries, territories and dependencies that drive on the left. However of the 76 there are a few of countries that you would think that Audi does not sell many cars too i.e. Falkland Islands, Christmas Island. So it would not be cost effective to build two chassis for every model of Audi.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Transmission Hump . Right-hand drive A5's .

There are 164 countries and territories that drive on the right and 76 countries, territories and dependencies that drive on the left. However of the 76 there are a few of countries that you would think that Audi does not sell many cars too i.e. Falkland Islands, Christmas Island. So it would not be cost effective to build two chassis for every model of Audi.
Good point but I was not suggesting that Audi build two chassis , that would never happen as you rightly say for cost reasons, I'm suggesting they redesign the footwell area so it's wide enough on both sides . I know this is possible as 90% of other car makers have done it ! 76 countries is still allot of sales after all . I don't mind compromises for rear seat passengers ,it is a coupe after all ,but come on Audi get it right for the DRIVER !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts