Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought the car used with 58,000miles. It already had 20" Vossen's and AWE Tuning exhaust at the dealer. As this was my first Audi I didn't know if AWE was a quality brand and also didn't know that the honeycomb grille was a mod. Regardless, I was only shopping for S5's and after driving the car and hearing the roar I knew it was going to be mine.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First mods were very basic. Updated the lighting to my disco blues. I have gotten compliments about them every early morning I have gone out and stopped for gas. Then they eye the car and give me a smile and a thumbs up. Feels good.

PrecisionLED for the map and dome lights.

WindAndFireAuto for the ambient lights front and back, trunk and glovebox, and my door projectors with changeable lenses and lifetime replacement.

Also ordered my Ross-Tech VCDS. I only planned to use it for a few coding mods but this thing has paid for itself a few times over.

Disabled all the warning chimes for Nav/Phone. Seatbelt, Door Ajar.
VIM Enabled
DRL Wink
Reverse Mirror Tilt
Gear in DIS
Drive Select
Convience Windows
Maybe a few other I can't think of off the top of my head.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Next up was matching the fog grilles with my main honeycomb.

Tried to buy from the forum but with no reply I took to the internet. Was a little confused on what would fit the S5 but after looking at my standard grilles and the backs of images of the honeycombs I was 65/35 convinced they would fit. Sure enough it was a match. Bought off eBay for a little more than what was "offered" on the forums but I think it was worth it.

Also upgraded to the RS5 pedel set.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting comfortable with all of these cosmetic changes and having such a robust fourm I decided to upgrade to a flat bottom wheel.

This was a bit more involved in finding the right match. I had a very clear picture of what I wanted and it wasn't a carbon fiber wheel for thousands of dollars. I wanted Alcantara to match the interior but couldn't decide on smooth leather or perforated as I didn't have the ladder in the car. Luckily MadMax had just posted about upgrading his shifter to an A5 set with perforated leather, so I blatantly stole that idea. Found an awesome seller on Ebay from Poland who makes custom wheels so I put in my order after verifying wheel, airbag, and vehicle model with black, white and blue stitching.

Swapped out my paddle shifters and controls from the old wheel to the new and we were off to the next one.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now we start to move on to power.

From the get go I thought the S5 was plenty quick, but I have come this far and I'm not a quitter!

Ordered up the AWE Carbon Fiber S-Flo intake.

But while we waited we needed to get a baseline on power so we started the search for an AWD dyno.

My first numbers were really low but not being a quitter I was sure we could get them up. After installing the intake, shockingly we gained 11whp and almost 7lbs or torque. Not bad!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that we have some horsepower numbers rattling around in my head we goto the interwebs to try and figure out why my numbers are so low. After a little search we think we have found the problem....

CARBON Buildup!!!

Yes the words no FSI owner wants to think about, but at 60k miles and a previous owner you don't know from Adam, you must!

So again we goto the interwebs to get some pricing. After talking to the local stealership and being quoted for a fuel system cleaning when we ask about carbon build up we started looking for an Indy shop. Luckily be very close to Dallas and near by cities I had a few to choose from. Hearing back from Audi after they realized I wanted a carbon cleaning and not a bottle of additive they quoted $1500-$2000. The Indy shop got me out the door for $750 for a walnut blasting. The before and after pictures were both disgusting and awe inspiring. Back to the Dyno we went for a gain of 27whp and 12lbs of torque.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next up was the something we really could have skipped, but reading the forum's so much you get ideas that you normally wouldn't.

So even tho we didn't really have an issue with the sound, we decided the stock B&O sub had to go.

We started with a Rockford Fosgate 10" P3, Fosgate Prime 750D amp, and Audio control LC2i LOC for a powerful preout.

Sound deadened the top and bottom of the rear shelf and popped it in. I did have issues with the LC2i connector's not holding the input cables and shutting down the system. Remounted a few times and upgraded the wiring to finally get it happy. I was also not familiar with free air subs and that it is recommended to power them at half of their stated RMS. So RIP P3. Not wanting to under power my sub I decided to box my next one which was a JBL S3 10". Very happy with the boom from the back.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Have always tried to take good care of my cars but never knew how wrong I was doing it until getting the Audi. Stumbled upon Chemical Guys videos on YouTube and decided to try their product. Love the look I get after babying the car and the smell to almost everything they offer is great. Happy to report their Stripper Scent smells of a warm vanilla more than glitter and pole grease.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After considering all options I ended up going with EPL for my ECU flash. From the forums and a conversation I had with @almostS50 EPL doesn't just throw more power at you in exchange for engine strain. Not being able to extract much from the NA V8 I wanted to opt for stability over a few extra whp.

Getting the tune on tho was a little more trouble than deciding on what tuner to go with.

After checking my VIN's EPL found out they didn't have a off the shelf tune for my ECU. After a few weeks a program was finally done but wasn't showing up on the server's. After another week or so it was finally up and we were ready to go.....

Or so we thought. At the end of the flash I ended up with a failed flash error and my ECU was semi bricked and I couldn't start the car. The fans would run full speed on ignition and I was getting a little worried. Luckily the guys at EPL were all over it. It took a week, some outsourcing, and 2 or 3 tweeks to the flash to finally be written. That rush of adrenaline you get on startup after a week of sitting dead was better than some drugs.

I haven't been back to dyno the car yet with the holidays and other stuff going on but in the next month I plan to get a final set of numbers. I can say that the throttle lag is all but gone. The revs climb higher, faster and much smoother. A minimal increase to MPG, tho it could probably be better if I didn't enjoy the drive so much. This will be the end to the power search, unless for some reason we decide to supercharge or maybe an exhaust swap with catless or HFC.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Replaced the Vossens with Vorsteiner VFF-103's with Red Anniversary center caps.

Got a great deal from [email protected] You can find him on AZ if you are in the market.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*dyno* place holders

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well done my friend!!! I've pretty much done the same mods that you have. I really like the S5 puddle lights.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well done my friend!!! I've pretty much done the same mods that you have. I really like the S5 puddle lights.
I get a kick out of them. WindAndFire even has novelty lenses and a custom graphic option. They also have a new forever lens that is suppose to not fade over time. Picked up the Audi Rings one when it was on sale but haven't tried it yet.

https://www.windfireauto.com/product-category/logo-chips/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great thread. Can't believe that carbon build up. looks like a must do on any petrol car...
Its the direct injection that makes the difference. Fuel quality has a factor in how quickly it can build up, also never going WOT to break it up. If you have never had it done or buying second hand I would start to think about it around 60-80k.

Cold start misfires are a tell tale sign of carbon build up, but I never had any misfires. The low dyno numbers helped push me to have it done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhUJsZXzmg&t=415s

·
Registered
32 Posts
2 quick ones...on your interior LED's, your photo shows them extremely bright during daylight. Did you keep the white bulb cover off the dome lights?

and do you still have the source for your grill and fog light inserts from ebay?

My interior LED's are in but don't seem nearly as bright as yours in the daytime photo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 172 Posts