Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to tracking, and my S5 is currently at 3.5k miles... should I do an oil change? My 5k oil change is coming up, and that is included in the Audi Service package, so I don't want to spend more money than I need too. (This is a leased car if that helps?, I still baby this thing though)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'd probably change it after, more importantly I would upgrade the brake pads to semi race spec/fast street ones as they will fade fast on the stock ones. Personally I think the S5 brakes are a bit weedy and the first thing I do when the pads need changed is to upgrade them probably to something like EBC Yellowstuff Pads all round, not sure if you get them in the US but I used the Green and then the Red ones one my previous cars and was very pleased with them.

You can see the yellow ones here: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/yellowstuffinfo.html

Also is the first oil change included free of charge here in the UK??

·
Registered
373 Posts
Question guys or SAJ i checked my MMI display and service interval along with oil change is due at 18200 miles so why has a lot of S5 members changed there oil under 10000 miles?
Sorry a little off topic but about oil change anways.

My S5 has currently 2200 miles on,should i change oil under 10000 miles or just wait until it is officially due.

Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My .02.

I would change the oil from the stuff out of the factory. There are bits of metal and sealers from the new engine breaking in. Otherwise I would change afterwards if in between a normal service.

On brakes it is most important to change the brake fluid to high temp stuff. I recommend Motul RBF600. This is a bigger benefit than better pads. I would still do the pads but fluid is a better first choice.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Question guys or SAJ i checked my MMI display and service interval along with oil change is due at 18200 miles so why has a lot of S5 members changed there oil under 10000 miles?
Sorry a little off topic but about oil change anways.

My S5 has currently 2200 miles on,should i change oil under 10000 miles or just wait until it is officially due.

Thanks Dave.
Hum, got no idea why your is like that. One thing though is that the oil change indicator can be reset by the owner at anytime.

I would probably still get it changed after a couple thousand more miles just becaus ethere will be a lot of rubbish from the break in floating about.

One other thing, when I get an oil change I usually have a bottle of Forte Engine Flush put through aswell just to clear out the gunk before new oil goes in.

See here: http://www.forteuk.co.uk/Advanced_formula.htm

Anyone else use anything similar?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Oil? well, I'd leave it for the scheduled change. I can't see any advantage from an early change, particularly since you lease the car and it is therefore included in the cost of ownership. For the track-day, I would make sure that your oil is topped up, because you will be cornering harder and braking harder than normal, and this does cause the oil to 'shift' a lot more in the sump.

Definately change the brake fluid to the higher-temperature, such as the motul suggested or ATE Super Blue brake fluid.

No need to fit braided brake hoses, the S5 hoses (at least in the UK spec) are already braided under the plastic sleeve.

Pads... Caution, EBC yellow-stuff is track day only as when cold it doesn't perform. Red-stuff isn't as good, but you can keep it on the car on the road too. Green-stuff is not only useless, but it's not up to the job on a car over 200bhp. Personally, I'd go for Pagid... if it's good enough for Lamborghini, it's good enough for the S5!!

Have a great day and definately get some instruction... it will make you much faster than several thousand dollars-worth of modifications!

:D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Pads... Caution, EBC yellow-stuff is track day only as when cold it doesn't perform. Red-stuff isn't as good, but you can keep it on the car on the road too. Green-stuff is not only useless, but it's not up to the job on a car over 200bhp. Personally, I'd go for Pagid... if it's good enough for Lamborghini, it's good enough for the S5!!
Ian that's what I thought to begin with but when I checked the Red against the Yellow I found the following showing cold friction on the yellow is better than the red then if you compare with the green its even better than the green which is a street pad. (Weird???)

Just to add, found a few reviews of the yellow pad, seem to confirm the above about cold friction: http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0.aspx (scroll down on the page)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I stand corrected... my memory served me wrong! I recall when I put Red-stuff on my A6, I read the selector guide, and yellow was not advised... (as per the blue)

...you are right, it does seem weird. I think the ratings are 'relative'. In other words, the Redstuff is 'good' for a fast-road pad, and the Yellow-stuff is 'excellent' for a race and road pad... Either that, or the Yellow is hellishly more expensive!

... I'll de some research!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I put Ferodo pads on my STi and loved them. They did squeak a bit when cold or really slow but had good bite even in the winter and would take track day abuse.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info guys! I'll top off my oil and remember to not use my parking brake after the run. So is the stock brake fluid not up to par? I'll have to see what my dealer used. Or does the factory do fluids? I won't be seriously tracking. But will do maybe 3 to 4 times a year for fun. New brake pads sound like a good idea as well. I'll have video for u guys hopefully if the instructor allows it. April 13!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
thanks for the info guys! I'll top off my oil and remember to not use my parking brake after the run. So is the stock brake fluid not up to par? I'll have to see what my dealer used. Or does the factory do fluids? I won't be seriously tracking. But will do maybe 3 to 4 times a year for fun. New brake pads sound like a good idea as well. I'll have video for u guys hopefully if the instructor allows it. April 13!
The brake fluid that comes in the cars standard is usually DOT 3 which is a glycorol based fluid. Although good enough for normal driving when it comes to using the car on track your brake get used beyond what they are intended to be used for. The temprature that the brakes and fluid will achieve during track driving is much higher than normal use and if you stick with the DOT 3 fluid you will find that your brakes will fade and your brake pedal will become very spongy only for you not to be able to brake properly at all once they get hot enough.

A DOT 5, a silicone fluid having a higher temperature rating, emerged, initially to meet the higher boiling point requirements of racing use. (Race car brake systems include oil-cooler-like heat exchangers and ceramic pads.) Silicone fluid was able to withstand the most heat of any brake fluid, so it earned a reputation as a racing brake fluid.

If you want to know more from a techy point then you can see here, its a good explination: http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

·
Registered
677 Posts
The brake fluid that comes in the cars standard is usually DOT 3 which is a glycorol based fluid. Although good enough for normal driving when it comes to using the car on track your brake get used beyond what they are intended to be used for. The temprature that the brakes and fluid will achieve during track driving is much higher than normal use and if you stick with the DOT 3 fluid you will find that your brakes will fade and your brake pedal will become very spongy only for you not to be able to brake properly at all once they get hot enough.

A DOT 5, a silicone fluid having a higher temperature rating, emerged, initially to meet the higher boiling point requirements of racing use. (Race car brake systems include oil-cooler-like heat exchangers and ceramic pads.) Silicone fluid was able to withstand the most heat of any brake fluid, so it earned a reputation as a racing brake fluid.

If you want to know more from a techy point then you can see here, its a good explination: http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html
DO NOT, DO NOT put DOT 5 in your car brake systems. You will melt all the seals in the brake system and replace them all. You are talking big $$$$$.

All cars are compatible with DOT3 and DOT4. DOT 4 is a higher temperature specification of DOT3. Products like Motul RBF600 are listed as DOT 4 "Racing Brake Fluid".

BTW, I stock and sell the Motul brake fluid and Silicone DOT 5 fluid for our racing karts. I have had to deal with customers putting the wrong fluid in the brake systems. It is not fun. It is most difficult to clean out the lines as the fluids attach to the walls and are very difficult to flush out.

You can boil Silicone brake fluid. The very best product for brakes is mineral fluid but finding a brake quality fluid and seals to match is very difficult.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
DO NOT, DO NOT put DOT 5 in your car brake systems. You will melt all the seals in the brake system and replace them all. You are talking big $$$$$.

All cars are compatible with DOT3 and DOT4. DOT 4 is a higher temperature specification of DOT3. Products like Motul RBF600 are listed as DOT 4 "Racing Brake Fluid".

BTW, I stock and sell the Motul brake fluid and Silicone DOT 5 fluid for our racing karts. I have had to deal with customers putting the wrong fluid in the brake systems. It is not fun. It is most difficult to clean out the lines as the fluids attach to the walls and are very difficult to flush out.

You can boil Silicone brake fluid. The very best product for brakes is mineral fluid but finding a brake quality fluid and seals to match is very difficult.
Thanks for pointing that out, I should have perhaps highlighted this fact from the link I provided, just incase people didn't read it - "Of further consideration is that, in some cases, the hardware designed for one fluid will not accept the other. Brake caliper and master cylinder seals, hoses, and other parts won't always work correctly when the type of fluid is changed. "

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have seen silicone fluid dissolve seals and swell rubber brake hoses. It is not pretty. Just imagine being towed back to the dealer with your brake system failing and then being told you need all new lines, and seals in your master cylinders, calipers, ABS system, boost pumps, parking brakes, etc. I can see it being easily $4k or more mainly in labor.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DOT5, no good unless cleanign out lines or installing new lines and going straight for racing... thanks for update!

Sorry if I keep repeating myself... so would DOT4 be okay for everyday use? Does DOT4 perform just as well as DOT3 in normal conditions + higher conditions, or not as well in normal conditions?

Speaking of karting... I've heard a lot of people say that All-Wheel Drive is very similar to karting... something that may help me drive these Quattros a little better. I tried my friends shifter kart once and those things are craZy! This was just around the block and I was screaming with joy and fear. =)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
DOT5, no good unless cleanign out lines or installing new lines and going straight for racing... thanks for update!

Sorry if I keep repeating myself... so would DOT4 be okay for everyday use? Does DOT4 perform just as well as DOT3 in normal conditions + higher conditions, or not as well in normal conditions?

Speaking of karting... I've heard a lot of people say that All-Wheel Drive is very similar to karting... something that may help me drive these Quattros a little better. I tried my friends shifter kart once and those things are craZy! This was just around the block and I was screaming with joy and fear. =)
DOT 4 will be fine to use, even off track.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Karting is way different than driving a suspended car. I have driven Formula race cars which are a big step ahead of street cars. There is still no comparison.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts