Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's unfortunate but stone chips are just gonna happen no matter what. I got my first stone chip yesterday and it wasn't even my fault. On a road where some fresh gravel was laid in anticipation for an upcoming paving job, this one guy raced around me kicking up the gravel and throwing it at my car. :mad:

Thank goodness for my clear bra which absorbed 99% of it! However, the clear bra did not extend to the side fenders and one side got hit. So I went on a quest for some touch-up paint. Your local dealer has some that can be ordered, but I found a site that is a bit more friendly:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

The part that tripped me up is the color code. So I thought I would post this information for others.

Ibis White - LY9C
Brilliant Red - LY3J
Brilliant Black - LY9B
Ice Silver Metallic - LX7W
Quartz Gray Metallic - LY7G
Meteor Gray Pearl Effect - LZ7H
Aruba Blue Pearl Effect - LX5V
Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect - LZ5A
Sahara Silver Metallic - LX7X
Misano Red Pearl Effect - LZ3M
Avus Silver Pearl Effect - LY7J
Phantom Black Pearl Effect - LZ9Y
Sprint Blue Pearl Effect - LZ5F

Don't forget to order some clearcoat to cover that new basecoat paint.

Hope this helps.
Arvin

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot...sounds like the clear bra is a necessary investment for the car? what parts of the car did you have covered?
Yes, this is a must have. Do it as soon as you get your car. I had the entire front bumper, mirrors, part way up the hood (bonnet), and the small strip between the front windshield and sunroof (this was a special request) done.

However, I'm looking to have the mirrors redone since they are not 100% covered AND I'm going to redo the hood to have it fully covered. This will avoid seeing the line on the hood that the Clear Bra shows. This is only noticable when up close otherwise normally it is not seen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I paid $300 for the front end (including headlights), bumber, and front half of hood. The tech advised against doing the mirrors as she felt that the material would not stick to the surface very tightly. I have since put on 8000 miles and on a 5800 mile roadtrip I heard numerous stones, etc., hit the car. There is one small ding on the hood but the clearbra took most of the damage. I also have a small scratch on the right side near the gas cap but touch-up paint will take care of that.
If you get a "clear bra" make sure the installer knows what they are doing and get a WRITTEN guarantee on work (1 year) and materials (5 years). There should be no bubbles or folds and the color should not yellow for at least 5 years and probably forever (my installer gave me lifetime on both but she is the daughter of a good friend). Since you live in a snow zone, you definately want to protect the front end from sand and gravel. Many companies make "kits" precut for your car but they are expensive ($600-$800). Most installers prefer to cut to size themselves and they are good.
Do not attempt to install yourself--it is not easy to do.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I paid $300 for the front end (including headlights), bumber, and front half of hood. The tech advised against doing the mirrors as she felt that the material would not stick to the surface very tightly. I have since put on 8000 miles and on a 5800 mile roadtrip I heard numerous stones, etc., hit the car. There is one small ding on the hood but the clearbra took most of the damage. I also have a small scratch on the right side near the gas cap but touch-up paint will take care of that.
If you get a "clear bra" make sure the installer knows what they are doing and get a WRITTEN guarantee on work (1 year) and materials (5 years). There should be no bubbles or folds and the color should not yellow for at least 5 years and probably forever (my installer gave me lifetime on both but she is the daughter of a good friend). Since you live in a snow zone, you definately want to protect the front end from sand and gravel. Many companies make "kits" precut for your car but they are expensive ($600-$800). Most installers prefer to cut to size themselves and they are good.
Do not attempt to install yourself--it is not easy to do.

Very well said and very accurate!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are there two different color codes for Meteor Gray? LZ7H, and X5X5
The codes to use for ALL A5/S5 start with an 'L'. So the correct code is LZ7H NOT X5X5 which is for some other model probably.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
The codes to use for ALL A5/S5 start with an 'L'. So the correct code is LZ7H NOT X5X5 which is for some other model probably.

Just so you know for future reference the two numbers that are given are known as colour code and paint code.

e.g. For Ibis White the colour code is T9T9 and the paint number is LY9C.

I don't know what the difference is between them, but this was what was told to me by the Audi Service department.

The link at the start of the thread has both of these marked for Ibis white.
I'll find out exactly what the difference is between them when I go to the body shop.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Touch Up Paint

I ordered touch up paint for my Ice Silver S5 from Dealer.

Touch up Paint Pen is labeled 107757/LSTZ7W ARROW GRAY

I see above paint code LX7W above and in owners manual. Did they send me the wrong one??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ice Silver Metallic

Did they send me the wrong one??
I believe they may have.

My touch-up pen shows "Ice Silver Met" in the description and has a different part number. Mine also came with a clearcoat pen. My paperwork for this touch-up "kit" shows a single part number (LST-0M2-X7W) with the description "Paint Silver". Price was $18.12.

See attached photo.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts