Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with several dealers about torque vectoring and when if it hasn't yet, will be part of S5. No one knew what the hell I was talking about :mad:
They kept refering to the 60:40 quattro displacement between front and back wheels.

Did some readings, and seems like torque vectoring will be part S5 beginning 1-08 build

True or not, anybody have any idea..:confused: if it is true, I want to hold off my order till I can get it

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
My dealer is contacting Audi UK with regards to this as I encountered the same problem - they had no idea what I was talking about and kept refering to the 60:40 distribution.

I actually had to give the link to Audiworld to them before they understood what I was on about.

I'm going to chase the dealer up about it today to see if they have found anymore info out.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Just got an e-mail back from the dealer, this was the reply:-

So far Audi UK have no information on when this will come into the product range. I noticed an article on Germancarfans.com on the 2009 model S4 which it is rumoured to have this Quattro sport differential fitted. Once this item is launched into production I expect it will filter into the model range including A5 but it does not look like next year yet.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for the good information. I suspect that other markets like the U.S. will have similar delays (if not longer). It sure would be a nice feature to have, although I can't say that I would postpone my order waiting for it.

Just got an e-mail back from the dealer, this was the reply:-

So far Audi UK have no information on when this will come into the product range. I noticed an article on Germancarfans.com on the 2009 model S4 which it is rumoured to have this Quattro sport differential fitted. Once this item is launched into production I expect it will filter into the model range including A5 but it does not look like next year yet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the good information. I suspect that other markets like the U.S. will have similar delays (if not longer). It sure would be a nice feature to have, although I can't say that I would postpone my order waiting for it.
Good information? It simply means that either question wasn't directed to the right person, and that in actual fact the person that answered doesn't have a clue......

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would say the latter. To me that just means that it appears far enough off that there's no reason to consider waiting for it, at least for now. My being in the states means that it likely is even further off. Not saying 'good' as in the information is good, just that it was good of him to post.

Good information? It simply means that either question wasn't directed to the right person, and that in actual fact the person that answered doesn't have a clue......

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think there is some confusion between the "centre" Torsen differential, and the new proposed "active sport diff" which will simply control the torque across an individual axle, rather than front to rear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I found this on the Audi of America web site. I'm hoping Torque Vectoring will be available on S5's made after 1/1/08.

06 September 2007
QUATTRO WITH SPORT DIFFERENTIAL: DYNAMISM REDEFINED
INGOLSTADT, Germany - With its active sport differential, Audi elevates the road dynamics of cars with quattro permanent four-wheel drive to a new level. An innovative regulating system distributes torque from the engine in continuously variable proportions between the rear wheels. This greatly enhances agility, driving pleasure and active driving safety. The controlled power flow enables the car to take corners even more directly and responsively, and to retain its directional stability considerably longer. Understeer becomes a thing of the past. This new high-tech device from the inventors of quattro permanent four-wheel drive will be available from 2008 onwards.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That would be a welcome addition, no doubt. I wonder how much the package will cost once it is offered. $2000-3000 USD? I would think it would be a complete package combined with the other MMI-controlled enhancements.

I found this on the Audi of America web site. I'm hoping Torque Vectoring will be available on S5's made after 1/1/08.

06 September 2007
INGOLSTADT, Germany - With its active sport differential, Audi elevates the road dynamics of cars with quattro permanent four-wheel drive to a new level. An innovative regulating system distributes torque from the engine in continuously variable proportions between the rear wheels. This greatly enhances agility, driving pleasure and active driving safety. The controlled power flow enables the car to take corners even more directly and responsively, and to retain its directional stability considerably longer. Understeer becomes a thing of the past. This new high-tech device from the inventors of quattro permanent four-wheel drive will be available from 2008 onwards.

·
Registered
74 Posts

06 September 2007
Yes, but all that lot is referring ONLY to the rear axle. :p

The OP was specifically asking about the differences in distribution between front to rear - and this active sport diff will have no effect on this. :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts

The OP was specifically asking about the differences in distribution between front to rear - and this active sport diff will have no effect on this. :cool:
I believe Torque Vectoring was always about the rear wheels not front to rear distribution. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing anything that refers to front/rear torque distribution with this option. Front/rear distribution is a feature of the standard Quattro system.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I believe Torque Vectoring was always about the rear wheels not front to rear distribution. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing anything that refers to front/rear torque distribution with this option. Front/rear distribution is a feature of the standard Quattro system.
There is no actual specific definition of "torque vectoring" with regards to automobile engineering.

Regarding the centre diff, and the front to rear distribution, I gather the Torsen centre diff has now been set for 60:40 bias to the rear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is no actual specific definition of "torque vectoring" with regards to automobile engineering.

Regarding the centre diff, and the front to rear distribution, I gather the Torsen centre diff has now been set for 60:40 bias to the rear.
The 60R/40F bias is a Quattro function not Torque Vectoring. There are numerous Audi's that presently have 60R/40F bias and do not have torque vectoring technology which is totally different. Here's a link to an arcticle that quotes one of Audi's chief engineer's re. Torque vectoring, seems to confirm rear axle only which makes sense.

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_audi_offer_torque/

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 60R/40F bias is a Quattro function not Torque Vectoring.
Erm - I beg your pardon! Using your very own link below, read again the following quote:

"Torque vectoring takes all-wheel drive to another level by varying drive torque not just between front and rear axles but also between wheels on the same axle."

As usual though, most journalists ommit vital details! I'll highlight a vital point:

"the next-generation quattro with torque vectoring will retain Audi's longstanding Torsen (torque-sensing) center differential to apportion torque between the front and rear axles, but adds a differential on the rear axle".

What a stupid comment. ALL driven axles must have a differential!

There are numerous Audi's that presently have 60R/40F bias and do not have torque vectoring technology which is totally different.
Firstly, there are NOT "numerous" Audis with 60:40 rear bias. The vast majority of current model Audis with Torsen quattro have a 50:50 bias!

Secondly, I state again, there is NO specific defintion of "vectoring" which limits its use (the word "vector") to one specific plane of movement - ie, front to rear distribution! Indeed, every single Audi which has quattro all wheel drive - has torque vectoring. Furthermore, only you seem to be "capitalising" the words "torque vectoring", which would imply that it was either an established name of an established product, or maybe a product which has a registered trademark - neither of which are true!

The ONLY technology which is different will be the forthcoming use of an electronically controlled active differential, in only the rear axle, which will

Here's a link to an arcticle that quotes one of Audi's chief engineer's re. Torque vectoring, seems to confirm rear axle only which makes sense.

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_audi_offer_torque/
So, neither that link above, nor the article from AoA, actually states the Active Sport Diff is available on any production models. Indeed, you merely "hope" that it will be available from 1st January 2008, yet I have yet to see any definative date.

Nor do either (your link, and AoA) specifically define "torque vectoring" - probably because the word "vector" is non-specific.

It seems that a new piece of technology is being incorrectly linked to an incorrect phrase by journalists, which then simply breeds confusion among the masses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Erm - I beg your pardon! Using your very own link below, read again the following quote:

"Torque vectoring takes all-wheel drive to another level by varying drive torque not just between front and rear axles but also between wheels on the same axle."

This says (not clearly however) that the standard Quattro system distributes torque from front to rear and that the new differential distributes torque on the same axle (again not clearly).

As usual though, most journalists ommit vital details! I'll highlight a vital point:

"the next-generation quattro with torque vectoring will retain Audi's longstanding Torsen (torque-sensing) center differential to apportion torque between the front and rear axles, but adds a differential on the rear axle".

What a stupid comment. ALL driven axles must have a differential!

All driven axles must have some sort of differential but this sentence confirms that the "longstanding" Quattro system distributes torque from front to rear and the new differential is added to the rear axle only.
What makes torque vectoring technology so interesting is that it's a new (for Audi) type of differential and distributes torque differently when going around a curve.

Firstly, there are NOT "numerous" Audis with 60:40 rear bias. The vast majority of current model Audis with Torsen quattro have a 50:50 bias!

The majority of Audi's have 50:50 bias but my point was that the 60:40 bias has nothing to do with the new torque vectoring rear differential. The S8 has 60:40 bias and does not have a rear torque vectoring differential, there is no connection between 60:40 bias and the new differential.

Secondly, I state again, there is NO specific defintion of "vectoring" which limits its use (the word "vector") to one specific plane of movement - ie, front to rear distribution! Indeed, every single Audi which has quattro all wheel drive - has torque vectoring. Furthermore, only you seem to be "capitalising" the words "torque vectoring", which would imply that it was either an established name of an established product, or maybe a product which has a registered trademark - neither of which are true!

I'm just using the term used in the different arcticles, I'm not capitalising on anything. Again Quattro has always distributed torque from front to rear this new differential is left to right.

The ONLY technology which is different will be the forthcoming use of an electronically controlled active differential, in only the rear axle, which will

I agree and that is what all this discussion is about. There seems to be some confusion as to what Quattro is and what this new differential adds to it.

So, neither that link above, nor the article from AoA, actually states the Active Sport Diff is available on any production models. Indeed, you merely "hope" that it will be available from 1st January 2008, yet I have yet to see any definative date.

There is no definative date only hints and yes i hope it will be available for early 08 production. We'll find out soon enough.

Nor do either (your link, and AoA) specifically define "torque vectoring" - probably because the word "vector" is non-specific.

The wards auto world link pretty clearly quotes the Audi engineer regarding this technology and the approximate dates for production. I agree that the engineer's quote on a timeline for production is not written in stone. Don't know what you mean by "vector" being non-specific.

It seems that a new piece of technology is being incorrectly linked to an incorrect phrase by journalists, which then simply breeds confusion among the masses.
The regular Quattro systems capabilities are being confused/combined by journalists with this new rear differential.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My salesperson was recently at the Audi training event in Miami, FL. Found out today that this option will not be available until the 2009 model year in the US market.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It that is true, it is a real dagger. I was willing to wait a bit for it, but now I don't know. I think it can be a key technology for a Sports-GT class car and a real differientator.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My salesperson was recently at the Audi training event in Miami, FL. Found out today that this option will not be available until the 2009 model year in the US market.
I've heard information before from sales people coming back from different meetings and the info. turned out to be false. I'm not saying it's not true just that I wouldn't take it as confirmation. We'll see soon enough.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've heard information before from sales people coming back from different meetings and the info. turned out to be false. I'm not saying it's not true just that I wouldn't take it as confirmation. We'll see soon enough.
I so agree with this. Please take the info I posted with a grain of salt based on the circumstances that I received this information.

However, some of the really cool info I got in addition to this was:

1. Everything is now stored on the key fob. So when you go in for maintenance all the info is downloaded from your key.

2. The delay for unlocking the car with the keyless option was added because of complaints that came in for those checking if their car was locked by quickly tugging on the handle to find that it was unlocked. So this delay allows someone to verify that the car is locked.

3. If the key is in the trunk and all the doors are somehow locked, then the trunk will not close and lock.

These items seem like facts in comparison to the info about the Tourque Vectoring. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.