Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is conflicting data from Audi about the computer limitted top speed on the US verson of the S5... In some places it's listed as 155MPH, in others 130MPH.

Has anyone had their US Spec S5 over 130 MPH yet (on the track, of course) ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Official brochure from Audi states 130MPH. I had mine at 140MPH in Germany before transporting it back here to the states. It is U.S. Spec.

There is conflicting data from Audi about the computer limitted top speed on the US verson of the S5... In some places it's listed as 155MPH, in others 130MPH.

Has anyone had their US Spec S5 over 130 MPH yet (on the track, of course) ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Going off the speedo. I thought it might be optimistic also but I've heard from some others on a different forum that the Audi speedo is very accurate. I guess I can't say for sure on that one, but it blew past the 'U.S. limiter' like it didn't exist ;)

Me and a good friend may be driving out to Vegas in our S5s next week, so I may get a chance to test it out again??? Well maybe not, that would be illegal - lol

140 indicated or actual? I know a lot of speedometers are optimistic.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Going off the speedo. I thought it might be optimistic also but I've heard from some others on a different forum that the Audi speedo is very accurate. I guess I can't say for sure on that one, but it blew past the 'U.S. limiter' like it didn't exist ;)

Me and a good friend may be driving out to Vegas in our S5s next week, so I may get a chance to test it out again??? Well maybe not, that would be illegal - lol
Let us know if you do test the long arm of the law. I plan on doing the same in January when I head down to New Mexico--but my wife is going with and let's just say she is less adventuresome than I and it could get ugly if I do it. Oh well, I believe it is better to ask for forgiveness after I do it rather than permission since I doubt forgiveness would be forthcoming then:(

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hear you. I can relate to those situations. Luckily when I was on the Autobahn, she didn't say a word and strangely actually seemed to enjoy it as much as I :)
I was surprised that I didn't even have to say anything. Maybe she realized how much fun I was having and didn't want to spoil it. Hopefully she feels the same on the trip to Vegas - lol

Let us know if you do test the long arm of the law. I plan on doing the same in January when I head down to New Mexico--but my wife is going with and let's just say she is less adventuresome than I and it could get ugly if I do it. Oh well, I believe it is better to ask for forgiveness after I do it rather than permission since I doubt forgiveness would be forthcoming then:(

·
Registered
735 Posts

Did a trip from SF to Vegas last year, via Yosemite :)

Mind the Park Rangers in Furnace Creek, they are worse than the Police ! :eek: - I had a nice chat with one at one stage for errr, exceeding the speed limit ! :eek: ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting to see how you fellow americans consider driving fast fun. I'm an american, living in Europe for the last 20 years, I go to Germany every other month. When there, I hammer it if there's no one on the road, but their roads are often packed - I drive fast to get somewhere faster.... Otherwise, I consider driving very fast both boring and tiring (talking 160-170 mph) - I guess driving 100+ mph is common for us here, so not even really considered fast. I actually consider fast above 150 mph, and when going 160-180mph, it does get very tiring, having to keep your eye on the road 1/2 mile ahead for braking distance.....

I actually get more kicks pushing the car in 2-3-4th gears when accelerating - once you're going 120 - where's the pleasure?

My S5 is supposed to be limited at 250m/h (155mph) - actually got it going 162 ( per GPS inboard, which indicated 267 km/h on the dashboard, and the limitier did in fact actually did kick in and was limiting the car. A previous S4 I had hit 285+ km/h - 177 mph(i don't actually think it was limited despite what they said).

The car is fine at those speeds, I am not - I feel comfortable driving up to 140 mph, and the car is great, above, not comfortable with anticipation of other idiots on the road.....

But again, it's getting there that's fun, once you're there it's boring, maybe you got to do it a few times to get over it....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm sure if we were "allowed" to run that fast it might get tedious for us also. Maybe part of the excitement is knowing you may end up in jail if we get caught at those speeds, but otherwise I agree that most of the fun is running through the gears. Nice cruising in this car would be in that 100+mph range but even that can lead to ugly confrontations with the law here.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It's interesting too Boomer and S5France... My A6 will now do 170mph (2.7 biturbo with tweaks and no limiter) and I have to admit, that apart from the UK roads being too congested to allow high speeds, I have only been 150+ on three or four occasions... once on the track... where you should be at these speeds and a few times 'outpacing' or 'buzzing' some jumped up idiot in some japanese rubbish that tops out at 140mph due to all the bits of plastic sticking out all over the place, who has annoyed me in some way. So road rage really! I cruise at 85mph so I can drive 'normally' without the added stress of additional anticipation and looking further up the road. The fun is the twisty minor roads!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
needless to say, this picture was not taken by the person driving. hit 156 soon after. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
WOW those are fast speeds to me as well! I usually don't take our old cars we drive here over 140KM.. but when testing the 3.0 TDI, I thought it went pretty fast to what I was used to. I got it to 120 mph, and it felt great! I can't imagine over 160 mph.

I am going to miss the autobahn when we go back to the states.. the typical speed limit is 65-80 mph.. that is going to feel sooo slow :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts