Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 S5 manual

I need to work on my launch. Gonna turn ESP on and feather the clutch next time I run.
I had a 14.083 with the run prior but I couldn't figure out the camera fast enough.

I'll post up some redemption videos but this wasn't as lousy of a first time as I had anticipated.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Nice. Launch looked pretty sharp to me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Launch looked pretty sharp to me.
Thanks. Yeah it's hard to tell from the video but the nose really took a dive as the car lurched forward. Just wasn't smooth but I'll be out to the track again to run some better times. I want to get into the 13s. Don't think that'll be an issue. Just need to think smooth!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Can't view the video but what your explaining is called 'bogging down.'

13.6's (perhaps 13.5's) should be achievable with the 4.2 in stock form.

Are you turning traction control off fully? It's a 2 step process, press and hold the button - you'll see the message on the DIS showing ASR off, continue to hold the button and the DIS will report ASR/ESP off.

If you're already switching off traction control as above then the next step is ensuring your launching hard enough to avoid the bog down, 4k rpms and side step the clutch. Sadly the OEM clutches aren't the best so you won't want to do this too often unless you're prepared to replace it ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't view the video but what your explaining is called 'bogging down.'

13.6's (perhaps 13.5's) should be achievable with the 4.2 in stock form.

Are you turning traction control off fully? It's a 2 step process, press and hold the button - you'll see the message on the DIS showing ASR off, continue to hold the button and the DIS will report ASR/ESP off.

If you're already switching off traction control as above then the next step is ensuring your launching hard enough to avoid the bog down, 4k rpms and side step the clutch. Sadly the OEM clutches aren't the best so you won't want to do this too often unless you're prepared to replace it ;)
Sadly enough I did have ASR/ESP off (holding the button down). I am not good at timing the launch and as a result my rpms skyrocketed before dumping the clutch. Basically I launched at redline.
I still bogged down. Though this method does work off the track. You get only slight wheel spin.
I think the next phase is to keep ASR/ESP on and launch smoothly. This will keep the RPMs reasonable and I can focus on letting the clutch out swiftly and smoothly.

And I have no reservations against an upgraded clutch seeing that I'll snipe someone's supercharger once they get tired/bored with it here on the forums.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Keeping traction control on will ensure you bog down or the only way to avoid the bog is a slow launch which is not what you're after.

Before your next track visit practice holding the rpms at approx 3,800 - 4,000 out of gear so you know where it is on the pedal. When it comes to the launch don't rush it, on public 1/4 mile track days your reaction time is not important so take your time to get it right and only launch when your ready - remember your up against the clock not the guy in the other lane, it's not first to cross the line. It takes a bit of practice but you'll get there if you persevere ;)

For a good launch you'll be looking for a 60ft time of around 1.8-1.9secs - then you know you've got it pretty much bang on the money, anything less and your an absolute star ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keeping traction control on will ensure you bog down or the only way to avoid the bog is a slow launch which is not what you're after.

Before your next track visit practice holding the rpms at approx 3,800 - 4,000 out of gear so you know where it is on the pedal. When it comes to the launch don't rush it, on public 1/4 mile track days your reaction time is not important so take your time to get it right and only launch when your ready - remember your up against the clock not the guy in the other lane, it's not first to cross the line. It takes a bit of practice but you'll get there if you persevere ;)

For a good launch you'll be looking for a 60ft time of around 1.8-1.9secs - then you know you've got it pretty much bang on the money, anything less and your an absolute star ;)
I appreciate the tips!
Yeah my 60' time is 2.026 at best. 2.110 was my other clean run. Let's not talk about the bracket/elimination round. :thumbsdown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts