Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken out my power box since tommorow I am scheduled at my service due to change of not working DRL.

First of all I wanted to tell you about the difference between stock versus power box. After taking out the power box I went for a short test drive and I was totally shocked.:eek:
It felt so slow, it was almost like a runing with no turbo at all.:confused:
Acceleration was just way to weak.....:(

Anyways while taking of my power box I have managed to make a small damage, while cutting the thing that hold the wire on the engine I have cut little bit of an ECU wire that was going from the box to the original ECU itself. From what I am able to see I can tell that I have only removed the rubber thing on the wire and the "metal" part of the wire inside seemed to be fine with no damage.

Since I was not really happy about it I decided to install it back and see what happens. Well, nothing happened, car was again strong and all, no error messages.

So finally here is my question: could I do any harm at all, am I worrying too much? Should I be fine since the car was working fine after putting it back?

Thanks for your answers

PS.: sorry for my shitty english....it is my 3rd language.:eek:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Your English is very good so dont worry.

The damage done to the wire is not going to affect the car 'yet'. Later on after time goes by the metal will oxidise and eventually corrode and snap causing some failiure then. I suggest you wrap the cut wire in some waterproof tape. Self amalgamating tape is waterproof but its very thick. You can easily use normal electrical insulation tape and ensure that you have good bondage on to the wire. It will be fine, but should definately be done.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Your English is very good so dont worry.

The damage done to the wire is not going to affect the car 'yet'. Later on after time goes by the metal will oxidise and eventually corrode and snap causing some failiure then. I suggest you wrap the cut wire in some waterproof tape. Self amalgamating tape is waterproof but its very thick. You can easily use normal electrical insulation tape and ensure that you have good bondage on to the wire. It will be fine, but should definately be done.
+1 ...perfect summary and recommendation from morski. Although, depending on the damage to the insulaton you may be able to put a small drop of flexible glue or 'mastik' sealant on the cut to seal it.

As for your English, it's better than most English people. Worry not!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,
thanks for your kind comments guys :)

Today I spent one hour of driving between shops with home accessory and so far I haven't found any tape that would have black color...they had red, white, blue, green, anything but black.

Made me quite upset as I don't want to have so many colors under the bonnet...tommorow I will keep looking.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think OBI or Hornbach may help.
Electrician black tape.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think OBI or Hornbach may help.
Electrician black tape.
Thank you very much, you have just opened me eyes.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.