Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello chaps
as you know i have a TT at the moment, and have been lusting after an S5 since the very first day it was unvailed, i took a test drive yesterday, obviously to feel how it was. I have a couple of points to make.

Just want to get something straight first, dont take my words as remotely insulting, i still love the S5, and i dont wanna upset you guys, coz i still want one. Here goes.........

Now the car i drove was a bit dirty, they had only just got it in and it had yet to be valeted. I dont know if this added to it, but i wasnt too impressed with the interior, the dash i mean! It looked a bit basic. I dont know whether i have been spoiled with the TT, coz the interior of that blows your mind, but it reminded me of my A4, nice, functional but not really that special.

2nd point, the noise. Dont get me wrong, the V8 on start up is pant wettingly great, i love it, but when i was driving it i thought it would be more vocal in the cabin, and it was to say the least, a bit muted. He said when your outside getting past by the car and you boot it, it sounds brilliant, i have no doubt about that, but i was expecting it to be louder. He also said, which i know is right, its like the R8, quiet and calm inside, so as not to be too in yer face i presume! If thats so i think they have dropped a bollock on that one!!!
As i want it to be growling and rumbling like a V8 Monaro!!

3rd point, my TT feels heavy and big and planted when driven, i like it a lot, feels safe, similar to the M3 i had last year. I was expecting the S5 to be the same, but it felt really really light, lythe for a big car with a V8, and not as safe and planted as me TT.

Now these are not complaints, so please dont take them to be too critical, just wanted to make sure you guys dont take offence coz thats the last thing i want to do.
Like i said i would still love one, i really would, but these things have left me a little puzzled. Is it my fault? Have i had expectations that were far too high? Have i got it totally wrong? Can you put me straight and reassure me a little?

Would be very grateful guys, all the best

·
Registered
536 Posts
This post pretty much proves that everything is a personal preference. I do agree with you on your second point, I have not driven the car long enough to agree with you on your third point, and as for your first point, I couldn't disagree more. I feel that the S5 interior is much better than the current TT interior, and worlds better than the old TT interior.

I have test driven the S5 three times already, but I am still not sure I have driven it enough times for me to be sure I want to spend 60k on it. So I dunno what to do, keep asking to test drive it more times? lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers jimmyz, your right about preference, thats the response im after
all the best mate

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
As an owner, here's my 2p...

As Jimmyz say's, these things are about preference...

1) The interior... I love because it's beautifully crafted, stylish and simple... no bling and nothing 'in yer face' or pretentious. That's why I like Audis anyhow. So for me I delight in it being functional and wonderfully driver-focussed whilst imacculately built.

2) The noise... Again, I had a v6 bi-Turbo A6 before this and that was so much quieter... I am loving hearing that growl in the cabin from the V8 but love also that it's not intrusive... although I have to admit, I keep turning the music down when I boot it, so I can listen to the tune from the V8. For me though the fact that it is quiet, civilised and non-boomy when the car is driven normally adds to the relaxation of being in this car, but I love that when you light it up that V8 really growls at you... just loud enough to make you grin like a cheshire cat every time... my face aches! If you want more, then aftermarket exhausts should do the trick, as this is where most of the in-cabin noise is from.

3) Again, this car is so much better planted than my old A6, with more feel through the steering and is remarkable nimble for it's size and feels much more planted when pushed than what I'm used to. I drove a TT a year or so ago and agree, it does feel 'solid' on the road, if a bit 'neutral' I think I am enjoying the 'dynamism' of the S5 more.

...Every car is different and not always to everyones liking... If you're still intersted, take another drive, or ask to have it for a day or so... that should tell you more about whether this car is 'for you'

Ian.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ian, thats a good idea about havin it for a day, think im gonna ask. I do want one, no matter what i have said, but just thought i would raise these points and get your much valued opinions
cheers mate

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What spec was the S5 you tested? If its light on extras then placement of some of the buttons and dials is changed and can make the car look empty in places.

I cannot say its like an A4. I drove a 1 month old A4 for the last few days and the S5 layout was significantly better and felt better from a quality point of view. The interior is significantly better than the old TT in my eyes. I actually disliked the TT interior towards the end. I felt it dated (just like the A4 did).

Steering is very light but it is well planted.

The S5 is not the best car in all areas. You will find faster cars, louder cars, nicer interiors, better looking... etc. However, to find all those things scoring highly in one car is much harder and the S5 does score highly on that front.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Good point about the spec. If the car is missing a few options, the dash will look very empty at places (Audi Drive Select will fill up that little gap around the CD bay very nicely!).

And I agree with everyone else about the interior. It's up there with the A/S8's interior as one of the best Audi makes/has ever made. Beautiful car inside and out.

I'd ask for an extended test drive (day-long or overnight) if I were in your shoes.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
As far as drive feel, Zammo, you're coming from a TT which is all about low center of gravity and compact power. A GT is certainly going to feel different for you versus someone coming from, say, an A4, A6 or even 3 series.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey, Zammo, let me jump in. I just went from a TT (twin turbo 225 horse '01) to the S5. It is light and gentle poking around but turns into a beast when unleashed. Very tight and solid at speed, like running on rails. Going back to the TT the other day, it - the TT - felt a little twitchy but all in all just great. Different personality.
I'd rank the S5 easily my favorite Audi and probably the best car I've ever owned. And that sound...

·
Registered
206 Posts
3rd point, my TT feels heavy and big and planted when driven, i like it a lot, feels safe, similar to the M3 i had last year. I was expecting the S5 to be the same, but it felt really really light, lythe for a big car with a V8, and not as safe and planted as me TT.
Having never driven a TT, I can only say I am very suprised to hear you say that the S5 feels "really light" in comparison. Having owned an M3, I can say that I don't agree at all that the S5 feels light in comparison.

Personally, I like the heft that the S5 offers, because I am enjoying the GT cruiser niche.

Talk about personal preferences being important! The car feels light to you and heavy to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well I'm just about to trade back. I really enjoyed my 6-years of TT ownership, but just haven't got on with my S5.
I find it increadibly uncomfortable. Don't shout me down on this, I know everyone else finds in comfy, but it just doesn't fit my frame.
I also find it too jerky in city traffic, and that it doesn't come alive on the open road until it's going a stupid speed. 80mph on A roads is simply crusing, and to get any feed back it needs to be going over 100 which I find too dangerous what with traffic coming the other way and tractors and cyclists etc.
So I'm looking to move back to a smaller car that is more 'figety', I perfer a car that is more of a back lane scratcher. The S5 is a big heavy GT car and it doesn't suit me.

...and yep you're right, that compared to a TT, and even the Alfa Brera that I've been looking at, the interior of the S5 is boring.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Chas, you do raise a very good point that I think Zammo should consider, which is that this car is not ideal for urban only driving. It does need to stretch it's legs to enjoy fully. I have come from a larger car, so I do find it much more nimble and fun on the back roads although I can see, that with the length of the bonnet and width of the car moving to this from a TT it would feel very big.

As far as town driving goes, I've been driving an execubarge, (A6) so I'm used to shoehorning a big vehicle through traffic... again I guess if you'r coming from a TT this is probably going to frustrate.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We may all join Chas just to save on fuel in a few years!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well I'm just about to trade back. I really enjoyed my 6-years of TT ownership, but just haven't got on with my S5.
I find it increadibly uncomfortable. Don't shout me down on this, I know everyone else finds in comfy, but it just doesn't fit my frame.
I also find it too jerky in city traffic, and that it doesn't come alive on the open road until it's going a stupid speed. 80mph on A roads is simply crusing, and to get any feed back it needs to be going over 100 which I find too dangerous what with traffic coming the other way and tractors and cyclists etc.
So I'm looking to move back to a smaller car that is more 'figety', I perfer a car that is more of a back lane scratcher. The S5 is a big heavy GT car and it doesn't suit me.

...and yep you're right, that compared to a TT, and even the Alfa Brera that I've been looking at, the interior of the S5 is boring.

Obviously all about personal preference but I just have to respond. I agree that some cars have seats fitted to different frames but a TT seat more comfortable than S5--not the ones I have owned or driven. In fact not really even close(I am 6ft 1 in 205 lbs). My 2535 miles over 4 days in this car without aches or pains would tend to refute the uncomfortable seat thought for the majority of drivers. Coming alive only at high speeds probably means the car is so comfortable and quick that you only notice some extra noise at high road speeds--0-60 in 4.9secs and the quarter mile even with the RS4 isn't alive???:eek: Please tell me that you can still feel your own pulse or decrease your sedative dose (only kidding--kind of):) Interior boring?--what more are you looking for?--99% of reviews have raved about the interior--so what gives in your opinion? The S5 is exactly what it was built to be--an incredibly quick, well appointed, comfortable, gorgeous, fun to drive, sporty cruising GT. That is why I bought it and I am absolutely more happy with this Audi than my previous dozen-plus Audis. If I wanted a butt bruising, backache waiting to happen, bone-jarring car, with a loose backend, I would have bought a M3 or something like it. I loved my TT roadster but it doesn't begin to compare with the overall package that the S5 offers.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Comming from an 06 S4 the S5 is without doubt quieter, smoother and more refined. You are much more insulated from the road. But that said the S5 is still solid through the bends ( just a little less feedback ) Personally I prefer that, but can see why TT owners may not. I do however wish the exhaust was more audible in the car ( that feature I really miss from the S4 ) Although the seats are very good in both cars the S4 was not a comfortable car to drive for more than an 1.5hrs. So if you want a V* and a TT type feel buy an S4 or if you can afford it an RS4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
guys thankyou so much for the feedback, was exactly what i wanted to hear, plus points some negative too. But just wanted to reply back as i have been at work all night. I do agree, i need to drive one longer than 15 minutes to really get to grips with it.
So at the end of the day, it is all about opinions, i just wanted to have a say back.

Interior
The S5 which i drove was loaded with extras. I know what you mean, if it didnt have that much, it would look very stark around the console, totally agree. Im not saying the interior of the S5 is like my old A4. What i am saying, is that my A4 was lovely, functional, but not gorgeous. Now my TT, with the metal surrounds, the layout, for a small 2 seater coupe (which is basically what it is), its stunning, a classic!!
After seeing pictures of the S5's interior it seemed very functional too, still lovely, like my A4 was, but not AS lovely as i had hoped. I still really really like it, but I am being hyper critical here tho!!!!
heres a pic of my A4 and TT interiors........

I love Audi interiors, they are THE best around, no doubt, and boomer your right, the seats are way more comfy than the TT's, they are fantastic.

heavyness
I know that the steering is light, which makes the car feel light, which it did to me, i am coming from experience here ok. I had an M3, it felt heavy, solid, powerful, the whole car screamed muscle. The TT is a great car to drive, it feels very similar, low centre of gravity (houseofg), heavy steering, and it feels like a big car to drive. My missus loves the feel of it coz it makes her feel safe, like the M3 did, like the A4 did. But the S5 didnt feel like that at all. It didnt feel like a big car, it felt smaller somehow.

Must say again, i need to drive it for a lot longer to nail my questions down, and i posted this thread coz i wanted to hear from you lucky buggas who have an S5 as i sooooooooooo want one, but i need to know that when i fork out this vast sum of money, im gonna be making the right decision, coz im gonna have to live with it, and it has to be right. If im comparing it to the M3 too much, then so be it, they have similar BHP, are 2+2 seater coupes, and have great engines, but the M3 was the best car i have ever had. It had presence, theatre and above all, passion. And that my friends, thats what im after with the S5

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Just one point to add regarding steering weight...

The weight (or amount of assistance) is speed dependent and around town seem really light compared to my old A6, but when on the open road, the assistance is significantly reduced and feels MUCH heavier, much more precise and actually gives feedback... which is a new experience for me as an audi driver for 10+ years!!

Another reason to take it out for a longer drive...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts