Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Honestly! Between Glasgow and Edinburgh:

OK, i've got the space saver on at the moment. But, ya know, there are good things which come out of using the space saver - the money you save on fuel (by going slow) can go towards the new tire :D ;) lol

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah go rub it in Rab :rolleyes: !!! I hit 19 MPG today for the first time and going for 20 !!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Rab, I was on the M8 today as well. Was that you and your spacesaver that made my TMC light-up with 6 miles of slow moving traffic?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah go rub it in Rab :rolleyes: !!! I hit 19 MPG today for the first time and going for 20 !!
The funny part is, Blade isnt even joking.

i know that feeling. i did a lot of motorway with this tankfull and i might manage over 20mpg average this time. wooohoooo

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Quite surprised just how low all you S5 guys are getting. I used to average around 23mpg in my S4 and believe me, I didn't drive it like a saint all the time (although always within the limits M'Lud - honest!)

Seems getting as good as 20mpg on a motorway journey is a tall ask of the S5 which surprises me as it should be more aerodynamic than the older S4 saloon shape.

Looking forward to getting somewhere above 30mpg average for the first time for nearly 10 years after having a 2.8 V6 prior to my S4, which only did around 27mpg average - makes the S4 seem positively frugal!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Im getting just over 20mpg on my S5 now. Its only the first 1000 miles where it gets closer to 16mpg. Mine is mostly town driving as well.

I am doing a trip to London tomorrow so I will reset the counter and see how that averages there and back. That will be all A roads from the tractor paths we have in North Suffolk to Motorway towards London.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GOOD GOD!! either everyone with an S5 must only do a few thousand miles a year, or you spend more on fuel than most people do on mortgages! I average about 45k miles a year, and im dreading the 35ish MPG of the A5!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did anyone really buy a S5 for fuel economy? I am not sure I know of any car of this size with these performance numbers that gets much better fuel economy but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Did anyone really buy a S5 for fuel economy? I am not sure I know of any car of this size with these performance numbers that gets much better fuel economy but maybe I'm wrong.
Well, my neighbor has a $74K 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 LZ2 that has a V8 dishing out 505HP. Even that car gets surprisingly 16 city/26 highway ... which is a bit better than the S5's 14 city/21 highway.

Good point about not buying the S5 for fuel economy, though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well, my neighbor has a $74K 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 LZ2 that has a V8 dishing out 505HP. Even that car gets surprisingly 16 city/26 highway ... which is a bit better than the S5's 14 city/21 highway.

Good point about not buying the S5 for fuel economy, though.
True but Corvette is true 2-seater (better aerodynamics) weighing about 500lbs (3100vs3600) less. I suspect the fuel economy on the S5 went down a little with Audi getting about as much out of this engine as possible (MTM's chip doesn't increase hp)

·
Registered
276 Posts
You know what they say. If you afford a Rolls, you can afford the fuel.
You are missing the point that if you do low mileage under 10k mls per year the fuel cost is small compared with depreciation. If over that 15k a years then get the diesel. I don't consider the A5/S5 poor value if you consider the price of BMW/Mercs. I recall a new TVR used to cost over £40k in the 1990s.
And a new Rolls-Royce costs new?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Obviously anyone travelling low mileage in any new car will always lose out.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

If you want to stop depreciation, consider a 20 year old Rolls. Low mileage and you will lose nothing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have no idea what sort of fuel economy I am getting out of my A5 3.0 TDI. My car only provides consumption in litres per hour...which means nothing to me. (I could do the conversion offline, but this does not help when driving). In the settings I can change the distance, temperature and pressure units, but it does not seem to be possible to change the fuel consumption units to miles per gallon. Has anybody with a mainland Europe-spec car been able to do this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts