Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anybody know much about vehicle trackers in the UK?

I keep getting conflicting advice from different people, ironically it always comes from those who have never actually fitted a tracking device to their car!

Do they actually work and is it worth it? Can they be fitted to the A5?

I was also told that on some cars there are only a few places where a tracker can actually be fitted, making them an easy target to overcome with a bit of knowledge.

My current defence against any thieving bast**ds is a 4 D-cell maglite :)

cheers

Mallory

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Hi Mallory,

Have a look at the thread below.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthre...stem-2533/index.html?t=2533&highlight=tracker

Trackers are easilly fitted to cars, both before or after Pre Delivery Inspection. However, your audi dealer will recommend having the tracker fitted before the PDI.

I'd recommend going for a gps + VHF based system, that way, you have the best of both worlds.

GPS signals are not 100% reliable, especially in confined areas, and underground car parks etc, therefore the VHF signal backs that up.

VHF Signals can bounce off nearby buildings and can receive interference, therefore, the GPS signal basically backs that up by pin pointing your location.

Tracker response, which is GPS + VHF, is £499 fitted + £149 a year. Which is a very good deal. Your audi dealership should be able to provide this, otherwise you can get it fitted at a tracker approved centre.

Another alternative is TrackStar, which is also very good. But personally i'd stick to the BIG name in vehicle tracking, which is Tracker - there's more chance of the local police force having more tracker receivers fitted to their vehicles.

Hope that helps,

Rab.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My Audi dealer gave me a leaflet for CobraTrak in the Purchase Pack. Are they any good?

I'm still umming and ahhing at the moment as to whether to get one fitted.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I didn't really have a choice with my existing insurance company (Privilege) as they made fitting one a condition of cover. More and more insurance companies are insisting on tracker devices for prestige/high value cars.

I went for the Tracker Horizon which was on a special deal at the time (Jan 08) and had it fitted a few days before delivery.

As to whether it works or not - I hope I never have to find out ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts