Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question :) The colour is Suzuka Grey (looks white). The attached pics show the car with non-tinted windows but wondering if I should tint. If so, how dark, front/back etc? I keep swaying between leaving it as it is and tinting it. Would love some advice and opinions :)

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think it looks Darn spot on as it is whealy :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Tint is Nice, but if you were to get it you would have to get it pretty dark at least under 40-30% for it to look significantly noticeable, but with your windows that dark driving at at night can be a pain in the ass :mad:

·
Registered
198 Posts
40% window tint is extremly light . . . 15% is dark.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Stick with its as it is mate. You could have bought a Black one in first place..
R|G

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have 20% all around and a windshield tint of 35%. Gives you extra privacy and better for sunny Florida. People say it looks great. I definitely say go ahead, even if it's a 35% tint.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had to get tint on mine here in South Texas...but I went with Formula 1 ceramic...30% all around and it looks great...not too dark at all. I'm not a big fan of tint, and this doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here are some treats that might help you out in your decision process ;)

There are two versions of each pic, one darker and one more subtle.
I definately think you should go for it... not too dark though, just a hint of tint... more classy that way :D

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Leave it as is. The car looks great now.
You can always do it later, if you're convinced you want it done.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I guess what we UK owners need to bear in mind is the position of the law w.r.t. tinting - the legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

This is very different to the law in many US states - and means we must consider whether it's actually worth doing. You see many cars in the UK now with the darker tints on the rear windows and the legal tint on the driver/passenger windows, which IMO looks just like the compromise it is. Particularly on a car like the S5 with small rear side windows, you have to ask whether you can be bothered when the larger front windows can only carry a tint marginally darker than the factory standard.

That's the main reason I decided not to pursue this - but you could always take a flexible approach to the law and hope you get away with it.....

·
Registered
871 Posts
I guess what we UK owners need to bear in mind is the position of the law w.r.t. tinting - the legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

This is very different to the law in many US states - and means we must consider whether it's actually worth doing. You see many cars in the UK now with the darker tints on the rear windows and the legal tint on the driver/passenger windows, which IMO looks just like the compromise it is. Particularly on a car like the S5 with small rear side windows, you have to ask whether you can be bothered when the larger front windows can only carry a tint marginally darker than the factory standard.

That's the main reason I decided not to pursue this - but you could always take a flexible approach to the law and hope you get away with it.....
The police in the UK carry tint meters in their cars and will check your tint on the spot and issue a fix notice if not within the UK limits

·
Banned
34 Posts
Simple question :) The colour is Suzuka Grey (looks white). The attached pics show the car with non-tinted windows but wondering if I should tint. If so, how dark, front/back etc? I keep swaying between leaving it as it is and tinting it. Would love some advice and opinions :)
Try this site, I went for light smoke front sides, smoke rear sides and rear window. well pleased
http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have black interior and almost white on the outside, be careful what you pick... The dark interior will cause the appearance to be darker hence attract law enforcement!
Be sure to pick a NON-Metallic Tint (Carbon) if you have NAV and having the Non-Metallic Tint will appear darker as well.. I live in VA and have already been pulled over for 35% all around so be sure to check the laws in your area..

·
Registered
45 Posts
go for a light tint - it will look good...

although not the same, my business partner had a white 335d without tinted windows and he was in the same situation. When we where both out on a way to a meeting we saw another white 3 series with tinted windows and it looked sweet! :)

I'm going to get mine done and I've got it phantom black!

mallory

·
Registered
198 Posts
Has anyone installed metallic tint? and does it really mess with Navi and radio reception. Or is it fine?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts