Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have searched for the above topics in the subject line of this thread, but I haven't found any thread. How much would you guys pay for Tire+wheel insurance?

I am getting a quote of $399 per 5 yr, and this covers both the tires and wheels against "road hazards" including damage from potholes, nails, tree limbs, debris, and rocks. Tires and wheels will be repaired if possible; if not, they will be replaced. For reference, $399 is about 50-60% of the combined cost of 1 new tire & wheel. Question is, what would be considered a good deal?

TX, please feel free to merge this thread with another existing tire/wheel insurance thread (if there is one). Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did not know that tire/wheel insurance was an option. Did you get the quote from the insurance company you already use for your car? As far as I knew (at least in the states) wheel/tire insurance was only available for protection against stolen wheels.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wheel Care

I did not know that tire/wheel insurance was an option. Did you get the quote from the insurance company you already use for your car? As far as I knew (at least in the states) wheel/tire insurance was only available for protection against stolen wheels.

Its funny that you mention this, as I am planning on getting this when I pick up my 2009 A5, but the dealer has been reluctant to put a price on it. He will only say "a couple hundred bucks".

Yes, its available from the dealer, but he said the people who usually buy it are those who are leasing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a friend who purchased tires/wheel insurance in Los Angeles, yet was refused his claim to replace his wheels and tires....should definitely read the fine print. Turns out it doesn't cover curb damage, accidents, manufacture defects, tire wear up to 3/25 of an inch, fire and flood damage, and this last one cracks me up.....acts of God (since everything can be considered as an act of God). Basically, they're not going to replace your tires and wheels.....save your money for something else.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I thought nobody responded because i haven't seen this thread come up (i always just use the new post button everytime i visit the forum).

The insurance is offered by the dealer but is underwritten by a 3rd party. I will definitely read the fine prints should I decide to get it. It's not just for stolen wheels. It says that protection coverage include damage from irregular road conditions and road hazards as I mentioned above. I am still undecided.

i will put up a scan of the brochure when i get a chance.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is the scan. Please let me know what you think. It's actually $499 for 5 yrs, not $399 as written. Would you go for it?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a friend who purchased tires/wheel insurance in Los Angeles, yet was refused his claim to replace his wheels and tires....should definitely read the fine print. Turns out it doesn't cover curb damage, accidents, manufacture defects, tire wear up to 3/25 of an inch, fire and flood damage, and this last one cracks me up.....acts of God (since everything can be considered as an act of God). Basically, they're not going to replace your tires and wheels.....save your money for something else.
I bought it once. My fine print also said that a bent rim would only be replaced if it was bent so badly that it wouldn't hold air. I don't buy it anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
late to respond to this post, but I think the insurance is worth it. I paid $ 500 for 5 year plans on tire and rim insurance. Had to replace three tires last month, front two from pothole damage and right rear from a puncture that could not be patched. Insurance company reimbursed the full price of pirelli tires paid at the audi dealer ($700). Well worth it for me.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Can we get this in the UK?

Interested in Lirim's comment about 'Acts of God' What's that all about then?? Who is God?
Surely that idea went out with the metaphoric 'Ark'!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can we get this in the UK?
Yes we can!

Dealer tried to sell me it when I picked up my A5. As far as I can remember, it didn't look like it was worth the paper it was written on!! :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Interested in Lirim's comment about 'Acts of God' What's that all about then?? Who is God?
Surely that idea went out with the metaphoric 'Ark'!!!
That term is commonly used in legal documents over here. It simply refers to events of nature (i.e., God) that could cause damage through things like tornados, hurricanes, or floods.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
That term is commonly used in legal documents over here. It simply refers to events of nature (i.e., God) that could cause damage through things like tornados, hurricanes, or floods.
Thanks TX... Seems like an Insurance cop out! :)Is that any God BTW?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Thanks TX... Seems like an Insurance cop out! :)Is that any God BTW?
Surely if there were a god, he wouldn't allow anything bad to happen to people, so your tyres would be safe anyway.........?:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts