Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Ive been surfing this forum for about 2 months now. I recently placed an order for a 6speed S5 in Phantom BLK. Production date is early April for mine.

I'm having hesitations on whether I should change my order to Tiptronic. Problem is no one has driven that transmission in the S5, so I dont have any feedback or reference. Im used to driving a DSG or SMG tranny having owned both a GTI and E46 M3. But I dont mind driving a manual, in fact I look forward to it.

However, where I'm from, selling a manual S5 will be much harder.. and It would probably fetch a much lower price than an auto. But the main issue really is performance and feel: how much slower would the Tiptronic be versus the manual if at all? Would the tiptronic feel much more sluggish and sap power? I cant imagine it being as quick as a DSG. I need to decide within the next day or two so quick responses are appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that if you can drive a manual, stick with the manual as it's the most involving and enjoyable way to drive a car.

Recent Tiptronics are very good, so good in fact that measurable performance numbers rival those of the DSG and manual versions. Many people reference their memories of tiptronics from years ago but they have improved quite a bit. Even with the torque converter, shifts are crisp and fast, and the computer does rev matching quite well.

I've driven the DSG in the TT, A3 and GTI and it's excellent technology but most people exaggerate the advantages over Tiptronic. It's still the same driving experience, pressing the gas and using the steering wheel. A bit like driving a golf cart or a go cart.

I have a 2005 tiptronic S4 and a manual mini cooper. Although my manual S5 is here in 5 more days... and honestly the performance of the S4 was excellent. I don't fault the car whatsoever. It's just boring to use paddle shifters or auto modes. An automatic is good for talking on the phone, drinking coffee, or those that simply can't drive a manual.

Regarding resale, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll sell it easily either way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to agree w/BBT on this one... I swore a long time ago (hmm, about 3 cars since) that I would never drive an auto or a tiptronic. There is no substitute in heel-to-toe'in the clutch, and just feeling the shifter in the palm of your hand. They both drive quite well, it all depends on the feel you wish to have everyday as you drive. For me, IMO, driving a tip is just like driving an auto albeit having control of the gears. Go w/the clutch... you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I generally agree that for the sheer fun of driving and involvement with the experience, get the 6spd. But for me, there was no choice but to get the Tip. Why? Well, let's move away from the idealism of you sitting at your computer imagining your smooth shifting, free flowing trip around town, because that's not the real world. I spent a lot of time analzying where I drive and noticed that other than some stretches of highway (that would mostly end up parked in 6th gear) I'd be spending a lot of time doing the stop and go in traffic. Anyone who has had that experience (say route 91 in LA) can tell you how much it sucks to drive five feet at a time and need to use the clutch for each little bit of progress you make. It's also really annoying to your passenger, who gets jerked around every few feet. From what Ive read so far (and from my test drive) this isn't the easiest car to manage smooth take offs with, and Im also guessing it's pretty pricey to go through clutches every 20k miles.

Lots of other reasons too - for example, your S.O. can't drive a stick, etc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lots of other reasons too - for example, your S.O. can't drive a stick, etc.
which if your trying to convince him/her to not give you shit over getting the car.... is a big factor lol

....not that you'd let them enjoy the car at all after giving you shit in the first place anyways ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your inputs. My dealer says I'll be getting mine around July. But if I change my order now (to Tiptronic) I have to wait till end of the year. So the speed is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.