Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all (my first post!!)

I got my v. nearly new S5 couple of weeks ago and have to say its an awesome car!! However, there was one small thing that I wanted to check with people re the tiptronic - I've got Dynamic Drive Select and when the car is in auto 2nd to 3rd doesn't seem quite right, almost as if the ratio was just a bit too long in 2nd? In sport mode its great..

I'm coming from an S4 Cab which seemed to have a very dynamic gearbox. Is this just me getting used to a difference or could there be a prob? I read one guy had the software on the gearbox reset and he got much better changes and mpg! I didn't even know that was possible!

thanks for any thoughts...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The gearing is definitely noticeably different when not in Sport mode. I'm sure it's probably designed that way to give better fuel economy when in regular Drive mode. It's hard to say whether you have an issue or not, without me being able to experience it first hand in your car. Like you said, perhaps it could just be you getting used to the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small update if anyone is interested... Took the car to the dealer to get tracking sorted (not me stuffing into a curb I hasten to add, but came like it! ;) ) and asked if they could check out the gearbox - they checked it for faults and updates but nothing came up. They tried a few more things and whoops they've broken it! No drive at all now... Not too p*ssed off as at least they're trying their best to sort it out rather than blindly ignore the issue but demoted to an A3 for the meantime :(

·
Registered
907 Posts
It's my view that the gearing is no different in sport mode, only the point at which it changes gear ( i.e. holds it at higher revs and prevents the use of 6th )and how quickly it shifts gear.

Although the two "Auto" positions are effective and very easy to drive, I find that the tiptronic really comes into it's own when you shift the lever over into the tip position and then make all the changes using the paddles. This way it holds it in the gears, and only changes when you tell it to ( within it's rev limits:wall: ).

Give that try when you get it back and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The gear ratios are definitely the same, and its merely the shift points and throttle that are impacted by Comfort/Auto/Dynamic in drive select.

My personal opinion (and I'd love some actual internal documents showing what exactly changes with the different modes) is that there is more to it than just holding gears to higher revs. Where it becomes most evident that something completely different (than a typical auto) is going on is during braking/downshifting with the car in dynamic mode - there is definitely some throttle management going on - giving a rev blip on the downshifts, and making braking followed by acceleration much more exciting in dynamic mode. While I think you could accellerate with the paddles pretty effectively, I think dynamic/sport mode with drive select is going to do some things on downshifts that would be hard to replicate with the paddles and accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The gear ratios will be the same, it's the shift point pattens and the lockup clutch action that change. I can notice a distinct change in the change in feel when the car is cold between comfort and dynamic - comfort is smoother, and the lockup clutch seems to be brought in more smoothly and slowly, so there's less risk of the 3k rpm thump you get when changing up with the throttle left mashed down.

Throttle blipping and rev matching seem a bit crisper in Dynamic as well.

I was also quite surprised that Dynamic mode doesn't let you select 6th gear on the paddles - I can see why it might lock it out in D, but to prevent you from selecting it with the paddles is a bit odd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts