Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tiptronic - Slushy-slow or Sharp-shifter ?

How is the "Tip" box on the A5 ?

I had Tip on my 2006 A6 3.2Q, but I sold it because the box was painfully slow, and slurred every shift. I vowed never to buy a Tiptronic again.

Some of the A5OC members, are switching from Audi S4 Tips. Was the S4 box slushy or fairly crisp ?

I drove the BMW 335i and couple of weeks ago with the equivalent Tip-type box, and found it to be very good. I could live with a box like that, and I drive a DSG VW.

At the weekend my Audi dealer said he doesn't think the A5 / S5 will ever have an S-Tronic box (which I find very hard to believe), so I am sniffing round the Tiptronic option again. Maybe it's been electronically sharpened up for the A5 ? Let's hope so.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well, the latest revision supposedly has down-shift throttle blips, which I've yet to see confirmed (except by an Audi technician on another board). I'd assume it's been made sharper as well. Actually, I hope it has. I'll be ordering a 3.2QT as soon as it's available in this market.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I had an 06 S4 tip and it was great. I test drove the 335i before getting the S4 and much preferred the audi. If you use it in drive mode and just used the tiptronic to upshift to keep the revs low and economy higher it was fairly slow but all you needed in that mode. If you were in sport or full tiptronic it was very responsive. As soon as they bring out the S5 in tiptronic i will switch. Current car = Nov 07 S5 manual in meteor grey with silver interior.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you use it in drive mode and just used the tiptronic to upshift to keep the revs low and economy higher it was fairly slow but all you needed in that mode. If you were in sport or full tiptronic it was very responsive.
Had an A6 3.0 TDI Tip - agree with Graham. Plus, when you used the steering wheel paddles, the up/down shift was instantaneous. I test drove a 335d and quite liked its auto-box. But I didn't like the paddles - those fugly aluminium blobs on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Graham

Good info there. Wow, if the S4 Tip was better than the 335i, it must have been very good indeed. So, maybe my A6 Tip was electronically "softened" to suit the Execu-barge style of the car. Even in Sport mode it was slow to shift (+ break in power transfer), but did hold the revs more. There was no rev-matching on downshifts. I love that on my DSG :D

I think I need to test the A5 Tip, when they hit the dealers. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks Graham

Good info there. Wow, if the S4 Tip was better than the 335i, it must have been very good indeed. So, maybe my A6 Tip was electronically "softened" to suit the Execu-barge style of the car. Even in Sport mode it was slow to shift (+ break in power transfer), but did hold the revs more. There was no rev-matching on downshifts. I love that on my DSG :D

I think I need to test the A5 Tip, when they hit the dealers. :)
Don't just test the A5 tip make sure you try the S5 tip too!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
No, I don't think they exist yet. When they do ( assuming they work at least as well as my S4 did ) then I'll be swapping my manual S5.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No, I don't think they exist yet. When they do ( assuming they work at least as well as my S4 did ) then I'll be swapping my manual S5.
Better shake out your piggy bank..(see red box in attached image) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can configure a tiptronic S5 now on the German site (www.audi.de).

The current DSG (S-tronic) is designed for cars with transverse motors.

The cars that can have the real quattro must have longitudinal motors.

So Audi can't use the current DSG in the A5. I don't know if it is possible to make DSG work with a longitudinal motor or not. But they haven't done this yet.

I also noticed that the fwd A5 has multitronic, but the quattro has tiptronic. Multitronic is a CVT transmission with 8 virtual gears.

I wonder if there will be multitronic with quattro? I don't understand why there isn't already. But maybe there is some problem making the CVT work with awd. But it works with a longitudinal motor already.

Anway, I am happy with the manual car.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Better shake out your piggy bank..(see red box in attached image) :)
Good news. It can't be too long over here then. Can't see the price clearly on the image but it looks like it costs less! I'll check it out on the .de site.
Cheers for the info.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Good news. It can't be too long over here then. Can't see the price clearly on the image but it looks like it costs less! I'll check it out on the .de site.
Cheers for the info.
...try using the zoom on the browser... bottom right if you've got IE7. Then you can see clearly.
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts