Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow members,

Do you have any advice for me before I buy a new car? I'm interested in a 2014 Audi a5 quattro premium plus, and I'm worried about the salvage title. My uncle says it doesn't really matter, but other friends have said they would back away from the deal if it has a salvage title. Can you give me any insights about this car? 2014 Audi a5 quattro premium plus 59,550 miles automatic grey in color Its mentioned that the front end is all new so wondering if there is a way to see the previous damages or issues that occurred with the car. I'm in love with this model and am in rush to purchase by the end of this month as I am currently using ride shares and it sucks! Please advise if you would pull the trigger or negotiate the seller a bit more in this instance as for this price range its the one I found that is the cleanest.

Link to the ad: 2014 Audi A5 Premium Plus AWD, 59k mi - cars & trucks - by dealer -...

2014 Audi a5 quattro premium plus
59,550 miles
automatic
White in color
Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Masson mate, purchase in haste and regret at your leisure, or something.

ANY car purchase that you make under pressure is a risk. Especially if the car has been in a shunt. You need to get an inspection and report made by an expert, it COULD be a steal or it could be a disaster. I have worked for a few years for a body shop and my man is a genius cos he does the job 100% correctly, but many others dont.

· Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
586 Posts
What does your U.S. state say about registering & titling a motor vehicle with a salvage/rebuilt title ?
If you're serious about this A5, pay for the CarFax and a pre-purchase inspection (if you're comfortable with the CarFax report). The body shop manager at our local Audi dealer tells me that state laws vary with regard to the amount of repair necessary to trigger the salvage/rebuilt title, and that unless the unibody is bent beyond spec, most bodywork damage (as noted in the Craigslist ad) can be repaired by simple panel/component replacement, which shouldn't affect performance or safety. Personally, I think $17K for a '14 A5 with a (potentially) rebuilt/salvage title is on the high end. --g

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your helpful suggestion, I was considering to get a carfax for this vehicle, so I can know more about the damage on this car, I will get the report and share it with you guys, Thanks

· Registered
4 Posts
Yes, getting salvage title vehicle are risky, if you're not looking to sell it in the near future it would be a good investment as long as the price of the car is below market price, and get the car report so you can see more detailed about the car and it accidents history, there are a lot of report provider out there, but if you're looking to save some $, I usually use Detailed Vehicle History to get the report ($15) you will get 60% as you are new customer, talk to Richard in live chat to get the discount. Share your finding with us

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you @Cristian999, for the vehicle report service provider that you suggested: Detailed Vehicle History, it's really cheap, they also have a free "VIN decoding & Vehicle History" mobile app that is super convenient. So I got the car report and luckily found the auction records and photos of this vehicle. In the report, it mentioned that the car was involved in an accident on 05-21-2019, they did the body repair, then it was sold at $4675. what do you guys think about this?
Here is the car report: Vehicle History Report for VIN: WAULFAFR8EA008000
Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire

· Registered
1,398 Posts
Personally, I will only buy it if I know who repaired it. If it was done by mechanics knowledgeable in VW/Audi cars, I will be more at ease. However, knowing that it was fixed up with the intention of re-sale, I doubt if all that was needed to be done was done properly. Most of these cars are repaired with maximizing profit in mind. I suggest taking it to an independent Audi mechanic and have take a look for you. With front end damage, the photo does not seem to indicate if the damage reached the front of the engine or if the chassis or engine is still aligned. Aside from the front-end damage, there is also no indication whether any of the suspension parts were affected during the accident. An inspection by a skilled independent Audi mechanic will give you a better picture.

An Audi is a great car to own if all is doing well. Buying it because it fits your used car budget may turn into a nightmare. Be ready to pay premium prices for parts. Some parts, like electronics, require them to be coded to be useable in the car so that might mean a trip to an authorized Audi dealer or someone who has access to a VCDS cable. As for labour, you will definitely save a lot of $$ with an independent Audi mechanic. If you can't find out or if one isn't close to your area, I would think twice about owning one unless you are ready to spend for it.

I m not scaring you from buying one. Just giving you a heads up that it will cost you money to maintain/fix/repair it if it needs fixing. The 2.0L TFSI engine of that generation is known for premature timing chain failure and leaky timing chain cover gasket. Also, if still original, a water pump with a somewhat short life span (unless it has been upgraded already). Just somethings to watch out when owning such a nice car as the A5.

If you do decide to buy it, make sure you do an oil and oil filter change regularly. Flush and fill the brake fluid every 2 years. Change the DSG oil every three years. Check the drive belts and replace if they have not been replaced yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts