Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I ordered my s5 in tip and I'm just curious if the exhaust will sound the same on the tip as on the 6spd, also does putting the tip in nuetral and revving the engine have the same effect as pushing in the cluth on the 6spd and revving the engine(soundwise)????

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't have first hand experience on the S5 (only heard manuals no tips), but what I have seen/heard on Corvettes is that the basic sound of the engine is of course the same but to me they just sounds a lot different when you drive them. I suspect you would get about the same difference on a S5

Tonny

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured a diff when driving because of the engine automatically shifting but with the drive select I imagined it wouldn't be an extreme differnce

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yes, the sound of the exhaust on a Tiptronic when in neutral is the same as on a manual when pushing in the clutch. However, due to the quick gear shifting of the Tiptronic, the sound when driving is somewhat different than a manual. That's because with a manual, you hear more of a delay between gears shifts (i.e., when you let off the gas and have the clutch pushed in). Shifts with the Tiptronic don't result in the exhaust sound mimicking the sound of manual shifts, unfortunately.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You and I will have the same car! :D AND you dont have to pay the gas guzzler tax with the Tip. :cool:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they're still hitting me with the gas guZzler should I not be paying it???

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Nope, not for the Tiptronic S5. You won't find gas guzzler tax listed on the window sticker.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Shifts with the Tiptronic don't result in the exhaust sound mimicking the sound of manual shifts, unfortunately.
If you put it in "S" mode it does mimic it quite well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you have Tiptronic & Drive Select, there is no "S" mode ... You can put it in "dynamic" mode, but if you really want to impress bystanders, change gears with the paddles at the steering wheel !!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Waiiiiit a minute. I ordered a tip and I'm getting hit with the gas guzzler tax.

Is this on a state by state basis? Or should I put a call in to my dealer . . . .

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Is this on a state by state basis? Or should I put a call in to my dealer . . . .
As far as I'm aware, it should be consistent across all states.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you put it in "S" mode it does mimic it quite well.
Gotta disagree with ya on this one. From my experience, the only time I've found that the exhaust sound really mimics a manaul is when you're coming to a stop and the transmission downshifts from 3rd to 2nd gear and finally to 1st. BTW, the exhaust plays a very nice note in those instances. :)

But for the most part, I've found that with normal driving (whether using 'D', 'S', or paddle shifters), the gear shifts are just too quick for the exhaust to sound like a manual transmission is being used. I think anyone listening outside the car wouldn't be fooled into thinking it's a manual transmission. Just my two cents' worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts