Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

So I have these tiny yellow spots on my white S5, on the front mainly. I can't figure out it if it is rust particles or bug splatter. They don't seem to come off with a wash though so maybe rust coming through?? its a 2017 model so I am surprised. Anyone had these and any tips on how ot remove? I will try and upload a picture later

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Dunno mate. Surely not likely to be rust at 4 years old????

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
White is great for showing up all the contaminants in the air...including steel. When brake discs wear down where does the steel go, it binds to the brake pad dust and some of it ends up on your bonnet. Then it gets wet and does end up as rust on top of your clear coat.
But I would expect that to be brown not yellow. Anyway, whatever it is,
You need clay, to be used with lubricant or diluted good quality car shampoo .
Full kit
Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit | Halfords UK

Or just the bar for a fiver and use diluted shampoo as the lubricant.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Both for your replies. @rackingman Yeh it seems the rail dust. Inititally i did think it was from the brakes but i thought that would go on the side of my car. I have noticed the breaks feel ruff if i haven;t driven the cars for a week and there is a bt of rust on the break discs. You think i need these or the pads replace? I am thinking of getting paint protection on it. Think it is worth it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't think paint protection will solve your rust dust problem. Getting to close to the car in front while hard breaking, say on the motorway, might have been the cause. Just a guess...

There are products for removing this sort of thing from alloys. Not sure about paintwork. Might be too harsh.

I would try the clay first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another white A5 owner here with the same thing.

Once I've washed the car and hosed the soap off I go round it with a spray bottle containing Autosmart Tartis. Most of the time it will cause those little spots of metal and tar to dissolve but occasionally you'll need to give it a light rub. Once you're done, get the hose on it again to remove the excess Tardis.

Tardis comes in a big tin but I decant it into an Auto Glym spray bottle that's designed for chemicals. Most other bottles like the ones designed for spraying plants and even some that are advertised as being for storing chemicals will eventually melt and stop working.

A 5 litre tin will cost you around £30 but I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years an am not even half way through it. Maybe I should have bought the 1 litre tin :D but then again that's £20

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think paint protection will solve your rust dust problem. Getting to close to the car in front while hard breaking, say on the motorway, might have been the cause. Just a guess...

There are products for removing this sort of thing from alloys. Not sure about paintwork. Might be too harsh.

I would try the clay first.

I I don't knwo if the paint protection will solve it but was thinking of getting the protection so need to remove the yellow marks first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another white A5 owner here with the same thing.

Once I've washed the car and hosed the soap off I go round it with a spray bottle containing Autosmart Tartis. Most of the time it will cause those little spots of metal and tar to dissolve but occasionally you'll need to give it a light rub. Once you're done, get the hose on it again to remove the excess Tardis.

Tardis comes in a big tin but I decant it into an Auto Glym spray bottle that's designed for chemicals. Most other bottles like the ones designed for spraying plants and even some that are advertised as being for storing chemicals will eventually melt and stop working.

A 5 litre tin will cost you around £30 but I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years an am not even half way through it. Maybe I should have bought the 1 litre tin :D but then again that's £20
You spray this everywhere? Is it better than the clay and doesn't impact the paintwork?

I also came across this one actually:

anyone used it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts