Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Huber Optik tint a few months ago and it does work great. Unfortunately I have been noticing more and more scratches. I couple of them go the length of the window so it is clear that some dirt or something scratches it as the window goes up and down. I heard that Huber Optik was the most delicate tint from someone.

Anyone having similar problems with their tint ? Any tint product recommendations out their that are very scratch resistent ?

:confused:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hmmm...that's not cool. :( I'm actually scheduled to get the Huper Optik ceramic tint installed on my car tomorrow!

I'll be sure to ask the tint shop how long they warranty their work. And I'll mention the issue you're having and see what they say about it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes....exact same problem.

No issues on passenger window and had two lines from the drivers side. The dealer took the door apart and cleaned the rubber area where the window goes down. Had the driver's side retinted under warranty. Waited a few days, rolled down the window and when it came back up...there was a line running up and down the window. I was so upset....but it's a lot better than it was. So I may let this one go.

Any thoughts, should I say something to the dealership?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Arvin, is yours the Huper Optik tint?

BTW lkung, I ended up rescheduling my tint job to this Friday. But in the meantime, I have asked two reputable tint shops how they deal with situations such as yours. Both of them stated that type of issue is NOT covered under their warranty. :( They both mentioned that dirt had probably gotten caught in your window seal area, and the best thing I could do to prevent the same thing from happening to me would be to keep that area clean. I'm a little worried, though, that it's eventually going to happen to mine too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Arvin, is yours the Huper Optik tint?
No, mine is not Huper Optik tint. Mine was done at the local Zeibart :rolleyes:. Anyways, the first tint job for the same window was done poorly that is how I was able to get it replaced for free under waranty. I don't think the next repair would be free. I was also told that those lines caused by dirt in the seal are not covered under warranty.

The good news for me is that I went from two lines to one very thin one. So I think I will live with it for now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was cleaning the car this past weekend and noticed the same 2 lines on the drivers side window.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Afternoon, I have this problem to and I was pissed it started the week after I got my windows tinted.

Started on the drivers side right in the center going up. I thought the installer must have not cleaned it or something. Then a week later it started on the exact spot on the passenger window.

I finally was able to take it back, since Audi paid for the windows to get tinted and the tint guy also handles the other high end dealerships Aston, Benz and such. I knew he would redo it and he said he would. When he looked at it he said this was the first time he had seen an Audi do it but quite a few Benz model have this issue.

Seems that it is not dirt, just that Audi has almost no clearance in the door internals so when you add the tint it scratches (hence the same problem for all of us in prob the same area.

He said he would change it still but within a week it would be back in the new tint. The tinter also said that Audi won't help because they don't make the windows with the intention of tinting.

I'd say you have a few options;
1. redo the tint and have it come back
2. live with the scratches
3. remove the tint
4. take the door apart and try and grind down the spacing issues

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have Huper Optik and don't have this problem. The key is keeping your car clean and giving particular attention to the window areas....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Afternoon, I have this problem to and I was pissed it started the week after I got my windows tinted.

Started on the drivers side right in the center going up. I thought the installer must have not cleaned it or something. Then a week later it started on the exact spot on the passenger window.

I finally was able to take it back, since Audi paid for the windows to get tinted and the tint guy also handles the other high end dealerships Aston, Benz and such. I knew he would redo it and he said he would. When he looked at it he said this was the first time he had seen an Audi do it but quite a few Benz model have this issue.

Seems that it is not dirt, just that Audi has almost no clearance in the door internals so when you add the tint it scratches (hence the same problem for all of us in prob the same area.

He said he would change it still but within a week it would be back in the new tint. The tinter also said that Audi won't help because they don't make the windows with the intention of tinting.

I'd say you have a few options;
1. redo the tint and have it come back
2. live with the scratches
3. remove the tint
4. take the door apart and try and grind down the spacing issues
I had some scratching with Huber Optik Drei when first installed in my Merc C55. It's a known Merc problem. After installing moleskin strips and having the shop replace the tint under warranty I haven't had a single scratch yet in 5 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was advised by the local tint shop that as per the post above, you need to remove the door panels and add the felt strip to the rubber seal in order to prevent scratches. Without it they said the tint would need to be replaced once a year as it will be full of scratches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts