Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
My 2009 2 litre petrol Cab which I've had for 10 months has been driving perfectly until last Friday. I parked the car and came back to it 45 mins later and it failed to start. The RAC towed me to a local garage and in the opinion of the RAC engineer after inspection he thought the problem was linked to the timing chain.
The local garage agree with him on first inspection and suggest that there could be a major problem which is going to be extremely expensive.
The car has full Audi history and was serviced 6 thousand miles ago. I have spoken to the dealership that has carried out the vast majority of the servicing (not mentioning the issue) who told me that a replacement chain isn't required only inspection.
Any thoughts, advice, help would be appreciated.
All the best, Colin

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all
My 2009 2 litre petrol Cab which I've had for 10 months has been driving perfectly until last Friday. I parked the car and came back to it 45 mins later and it failed to start. The RAC towed me to a local garage and in the opinion of the RAC engineer after inspection he thought the problem was linked to the timing chain.
The local garage agree with him on first inspection and suggest that there could be a major problem which is going to be extremely expensive.
The car has full Audi history and was serviced 6 thousand miles ago. I have spoken to the dealership that has carried out the vast majority of the servicing (not mentioning the issue) who told me that a replacement chain isn't required only inspection.
Any thoughts, advice, help would be appreciated.
All the best, Colin
Hi mate, I replaced the timing chain about 144k miles on my 2009 2.0T Petrol Coupe, apparently they claim the timing chains on these are “lifetime” warranty which is a marketing sham. Mines went into limp mode and would go above 30 fortunately I had vcds to diagnose it.

think I wa about 400ish for the kit and about 700ish (£) in labour.

regardless of service history and how the car runs if it goes it goes. If you have high mileageget a vcds check it should clearly flag up a misfire and go from there.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
187 Posts
If its a dead start its another question tbh, the amount of labour to even get into the timing chain is a good whack of cash so for all it is at that stage as well as repalcing but id go for a vcds check first especially if its a non runner. Mines was running on limp mode and managed to get it to a garage after self diagnosis no issues and I was spot on with the issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for your reply.
The car has done 145k but has been extremely well looked after. If it's a lifetime guarantee then we shouldn't have to consider changing it. If it isn't then Audi should surely provide change intervals. just a thought.
There was no indication of any issue, just wouldn't start. No compression now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Many thanks for your reply.
The car has done 145k but has been extremely well looked after. If it's a lifetime guarantee then we shouldn't have to consider changing it. If it isn't then Audi should surely provide change intervals. just a thought.
There was no indication of any issue, just wouldn't start. No compression now.
Yeah I agree but its really down to what the manufacturer defines as “lifetime” it’s all masked in age and miles for these things.

try autodoc for parts if you do need them cheapest around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If its a dead start its another question tbh, the amount of labour to even get into the timing chain is a good whack of cash so for all it is at that stage as well as repalcing but id go for a vcds check first especially if its a non runner. Mines was running on limp mode and managed to get it to a garage after self diagnosis no issues and I was spot on with the issue.
What is a vcds please?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Mate, Audi seem to tell many Porkies, such as the gearbox oil lasts a lifetime et al. You need to use yer own judgement. VCDS scanner from the States is a fantastic product and will tell you what defects you have. WELL worth the dosh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts