Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!! Firstly, great forum - very interesting. Secondly, can I ask a silly question - what is an autodimming rear view mirror? Sorry, but I was too embarrassed to ask the dealer!! Thirdly, I would like to share my experience of Audi dealers with you all.

The biggest Audi showroom in Europe is in Glasgow - it is their flagship dealership - so that was my first port of call as it is only 20 mins from me - what a disappointment. Well, it seems to me that they have gotten far too big for their boots. The "salesman" that we were unlucky enough to be dealing with was acting like he was doing us a massive favour!! He was patronising, talked over us all the time and laughed at our questions - sorry, but I don't know the answer hence why I am asking, if I knew the answer, i would not be asking!!

We knew the spec that we wanted, just needed his best price. Well, that never materialised. After emailing him an internet quote as he suggested (to give him "ammunition" to take to his manager for a discount) he replied nearly a week later to say he couldn't get anywhere near that price and if he were us he would go for the internet deal!! Unbelieveable!!

Well, we emailed Ayr Audi and Edinburgh Audi the same quote. Ayr Audi to this day have never got back to us. Edinburgh Audi phoned us back first thing the next day and then emailed with a price within a couple of hundred pounds of the internet deal. We drove to Edinburgh (about 1 hour away) that weekend and placed the order after dealing with a very nice saleswoman.

So now it is the waiting game - it has only been 2 weeks. Does anybody in the UK have a 1.8 multitronic? Does anybody know what the "real life" lead time is? The dealer was only able to quote me the "worst case scenario" which is Sept....

Don't know if I can wait that long without going crazy. Can I make a suggestion - can all you lucky people out there posting after picking up your new wheels please let us know how long the wait was.

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
415 Posts
The auto-dimming mirror has a sensor that looks for bright headlights coming from behind. If it senses high beams that might blind you, it darkens itself with LCD technology. It's like the conventional "flip up" dimming that most cars have had for a long time, but it's automatic and electronic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello everybody!! Firstly, great forum - very interesting. Secondly, can I ask a silly question - what is an autodimming rear view mirror? Sorry, but I was too embarrassed to ask the dealer!! guys!

Welcome jaggyjim!

Autodimming rear view mirrors dim when a car following you has their headlights on to prevent you being dazzled. In my experience the mirrors that dim are the door mirrors and the interior rear view. Not sure if it's standard on all models but on the S5 you can switch it off with a switch on the interior mirror.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi Jaggy, welcome to the forum.

Autodimming rear view mirror is when the rear view mirrow dimms down when the lights from a car behind you are very bright and dazzeling. If you don't have auto in your car normaly you would pull the little bit that stick out of the rear view mirroe down to dip it for you when you have lights that are dazzeling you from behind. EDIT :- Took me so long to type my reply that 2 other ppl answered your question for you, what a helpful forum this is :)

Auto dimming is excellent while driving at night, i wouldn't by a car without it now.

As for your experience with Glasgow, nothing new....having been an Audi driver for the last 8 years I gave Glasgow a number of chances for my business, but they are so stuck up their backsides I will never give them business ever.

I use to buy my Audis' from Edinburgh but now that Glasgow owns that garage too and the Stirling garage I now buy my Audi cars from down south at a Synter garage.

Although Edinburgh is owned by the Glasgow garage, you still tend to get better service from them. Now what I do is I use Glasgow for all my test drives and then by else where just to piss them off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are all so helpful - that really answers my question - thanks!!
I was getting that confused with the feature on the M5 which automatically dips down the side mirrors when you put the car into reverse. Wonder why that is not an option with the A5....

Well, I never knew that the Glasgow garage owns the Edinburgh garage -interesting- , but clearly as the product will be the same the differentiating factor will be the service. I was annoyed that Glasgow were acting like they did not want to sell me the car, not returning phone calls etc but was determined not to join the masses and get a beemer - phew, what a lucky escape!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was getting that confused with the feature on the M5 which automatically dips down the side mirrors when you put the car into reverse. Wonder why that is not an option with the A5....

I have the folding mirrors option (part of the 'Comfort Pack') and if you have the switch on the left mirror then they do dip when you engage reverse.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
welcome to the site

out of interest who was the salesman?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the (unhelpful) salesman was Jerry (as in Tom and)
and the (very helpful) saleswoman was Alana
Why-you don 't work for Glasgow Audi do you?!?!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Not the first time someone's had problems with Glasgow (aka - Lomond) Audi. Everyone I speak to has had problems with them, and it always takes them to another dealership.

By all means, Jim, you should have complained. I DID when they messed me around, and in return I got a £250 autoglym option on the car for free. I was actually ready for going down to Henry Bros BMW to sign the form for a 3er coupe after that... but i'm glad I didn't.

What you'll also notice is how BUSY every salesman is in Glasgow Audi. They're getting so many sales that:

1) Each salesman is so busy, he cant be bothered with another one onto his long list.
2) One unhappy customer probably wont do much damage. (they think so)

·
Registered
53 Posts
it's amazing how dealerships are run. the attitude towards their customer, before and after the sale, varies tremendously.

good for you on finding somebody who beleives in the total customer experience.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I thought this was on the A5/S5, might be wrong but i swear people posted with problems with it.

Oh and Welcome jaggyjim :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
That feature does exist on the car. If you have the mirror selector knob turned to the passenger side mirror position, the mirror will automatically dip down when you put the car in reverse. The thread where it's mentioned can be seen here.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
the (unhelpful) salesman was Jerry (as in Tom and)
and the (very helpful) saleswoman was Alana
Why-you don 't work for Glasgow Audi do you?!?!

no its just i had a similar experience with audi in glasgow so ended up going elsewhere!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a simiar experience with an Audi dealer here in Ireland. Its actually the closest dealer to me so i presumably would have ordered the car off him in Sept when i am ordering but now i think i might go else where.

I was told by a dealer about an hour from me that the waiting time was just 12 weeks. After hearing all the stories here i decided to e-mail my local dealer to find out the waiting time for a new car just to be sure. I also asked if he knew anything about the 2.0 diesel. I told him i will be looking for delivery of the car in January so asked when would i need to be placing my order.

They never even bothered replying to my e-mail. (This is 3 weeks later) Fine - if they dont want €60,000 i'll give it to someone else.

I e-mailed another dealer up the country and he got back to me straight away with plenty of info and was very helpful. I would much rather give my business to someone like him who seems interested in helping his customers and cares about his service.

I dont get people like that either. You want to buy a car off them and they just dont seem interested. Maybe they should get into a different line of business then

·
Registered
16 Posts
glasgow audi useless

jaggyjim - that was the same salesman i had the misfortune to deal with the first time i went - no interested in taking my order so i didn't go back to him

1 - 15 of 15 Posts