Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the scale from 1 to 10, how many points do you award this car, and in particular, its wheels.

Let me explain...

I am going nuts trying to figure out which wheels I want to put on my car. I was first interested in the RS4´s. Since I couldn´t find the these wheels with the correct center bore and offset for the A5, I started searching for other options and this is one that truly caught my eye.

They are the HRE P40´s, which I think VMR has as the V710´s. I wrote an email to the people at VMR about these wheels to find out whether they have them for the A5, but no reply so far.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would give em a perfect 10... my two favorite aftermarket rims on the S5 would be those, or the 590R, which is very similar. Too bad they cost around 6k for four rims and tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would give em a perfect 10... my two favorite aftermarket rims on the S5 would be those, or the 590R, which is very similar. Too bad they cost around 6k for four rims and tires.
Exactly, they´re just too darn expensive. This is why I want to find out whether they have them available at VMR. If they do, the set could end up costing closer to 2g, tires included... As soon as I get a reply from VMR, I will post.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like it. I own a set of those rims, finished just like that. Now if I could just get my car to put them on......

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My only beef is that because the A5/S5 will take such low offsets, I wish they were more concave. The GMG cars looks GREAT, don't get me wrong, but don't you wish the wheels looked more like these?

I have a fetish for wheel concavity, even moreso than having a lot of lip on a 3-pc.

-Ray

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thumbs up, but I like a nice polished lip usually, these rims are great. He was selling them for $4800 but I think pulled out. That car is in the new issue of Traction magazine I believe.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thumbs up, but I like a nice polished lip usually, these rims are great. He was selling them for $4800 but I think pulled out. That car is in the new issue of Traction magazine I believe.
At one time Fabryce @ GMG had two sets. I have one of those sets now and was considering selling them (I'm not GMG). I like them a lot, but I was thinking I wanted the polished lip. The old lady told me no on selling them, so I backed out. I've been liking them more and more ever since.

I do wish they were more concave. Those wheels look really good on an M5.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like...

They look ¨Bimmer¨ like too me (sorry just switched from BMW to Audi), remind me of some Alpina designs. Very sporty but not too flashy...

I´ll give em a BIG 8

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah, more concave would do the trick, kind of like the CLS ones for BMW.

I got a reply from the people at VMR after sending them an email with some of the pictures posted above. I asked them whether they had the replicas for the P40´s, the VMR V710´s with the A5 settings. This is what they wrote back:

Unfortunately the A5 has a larger center bore then the normal 56.1 other Audi's have. You can always bore out the centers if you were interested. Iv heard of people doing it for around $30 a wheel. The width and offset would work but the center bore would be smaller.

[email protected]
www.vmrwheels.com

I wouldn´t go through that amount of trouble for rims... Anybody have an idea of some stylish rims similar to these, and that DO have the correct settings for the A5?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am guessing that would also mean that they wont fit on the S5 either?

Also, I have heard a lot of people mentioning the fact that the A/S5 has a unique bore and that many rims wont fit it. Can someone explain to me what "bore" is, and what it means to "bore out the centers" so that the wheels could fit on an S5?

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
I like... very nice!

Gesture Finger Thumb Suit Gentleman

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Can someone explain to me what "bore" is, and what it means to "bore out the centers" so that the wheels could fit on an S5?

Thanks
Hi Jimmyz, for a long time I didn´t know what it was either.

In simple terms, the center bore is the small hole in the middle of the wheel which connects the wheel to the car. If the diameter of this hole is too small, it won´t fit the car, so it has to get widened using a lathe (boring out the center), until the diameter matches the one of the car.

·
Registered
750 Posts
solid 8, looks good

·
Registered
457 Posts
Our S5's look much better with a deep-lipped wheel design, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
643 Posts
9, always liked it. close to perfect, but not quite...

I do agree with alwin about the lip, but it still gets a high score from me despite not having any. Lovely wheel for the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts