Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm strongly considering the A5, but I need the ability to fit my 3 small children in the back for the rare instance my family is stuck with one car. The sales rep told me they only come with the 2-seat and console configuration, but the Audi website shows the following back seat picture:

Can anyone confirm that the 3-seat config is not a viable option for this vehicle? If not, will it be in the future? The two-seat configuration makes this car a non-starter for me, which is unfortunate because I've been dying to get one ever since I laid eyes on it. The A5/S5 looks great in pictures and even better in person. Is anybody looking to adopt a 6 yo, 4 yo and 10 month old? :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 2 year old likes to site on the armrest (or table as he calls it). Obviously I only let him do this when the vehicle is on the driveway but maybe you could do some quirky modification:rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm strongly considering the A5, but I need the ability to fit my 3 small children in the back for the rare instance my family is stuck with one car. The sales rep told me they only come with the 2-seat and console configuration, but the Audi website shows the following back seat picture:
Is anybody looking to adopt a 6 yo, 4 yo and 10 month old? :)
There is another thread on this same topic. There's literally no leg room in the center position, but someone speculated that a child car seat may work.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The sales rep told me they only come with the 2-seat and console configuration, but the Audi website shows the following back seat picture:
What part of the world are you located in? Please update your profile to reflect your location. (Answers to questions can vary depending upon which country a car is produced for.)

European spec A5s have a rear seat like the one you posted (which is why it indicates "European model shown"), but North American spec A5s have a center storage tray (or "console" as your sales rep put it).

As JSC mentioned, this same question was asked in another thread (yesterday actually). Details here.

Please also read this: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/important-welcome-all-1143/index.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the repeated posts. I had surveyed the forum a couple days ago and must've missed it.

The A5 is sooo nice, it's still on top of the short list for my next vehicle, third seat or not. I figure I can just rent a car for the less than 3 times a year I need to lug the entire family around. A small price to pay for getting the car that you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is another thread on this same topic. There's literally no leg room in the center position, but someone speculated that a child car seat may work.
Jut to clarify, I wasn't speculating when I posted. I know for a fact that the Britax Boulevard car seat will fit rear facing, as I test drove an A5 S-line with my 10mo in the center of the back seat using the LATCH system. In fact, it is a nicer fit than our VW New Beetle, which just got replaced with an A4. Sorry that I didn't get a good shot from the inside with the car seat installed. I took a couple through the rear window, but that doesn't show much, other than proof. My avatar is of Gessica sitting in the front seat, obviously.

Convertible Car Seat

As my wife pointed out, two adults will have difficulty sitting on either side, but two children should be fine (okay, this part is speculation).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a thought.

If the A5 is officially a 4 seater, will your insurance still be valid if you have 5 persons inside while on the road?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Deff only 4 seater.

I have two child seatas fitted in the back and there is not room for even a booster seat.

The arm rest only just folds down.

Still much better than the B*W ash tray on the 3 series.

I think there is an after sales option for a bar which allows sereral seat configurations for child seats. I will do some digging.

laters
Sharkitect

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...In the UK, it would be illegal to carry a 5th passenger as you only have 4 seat belts... that's 3 points for not wearing a belt in the back-seat. You are also not insured for 5 passengers for again the same reason... that's 5 points for driving without a valid insurance... max points on your license 8!!! Plus the fine and the hike in your insurance premium...

...My advice... a second car or the new A4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wegobomber i know where your coming from it seems a bit of a downer that one of the bigger coupes on the market doesnt acommodate 3 in the back

...... esp considering the old 3 series and i belive the saabs used to have a lap belt for the rare occasion when its needed, unfortunately its a trend to make cars with space for 2+2 these days even for some of the four doors (cls, is-f, 6 series)

...its really making the decison to go for the A5 more difficult.

i guess its down to someone to try and get a lap belt installed....???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Even if there was a 5th seat/belt I really wouldn't wanna try craming 3 ankle biters in the back.... sounds like a receipe for elbows, tears and disaster IMO!

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my opinion, the A5/S5 has not designed to be a "family" car, or engineered to have the ability to put a bunch of people/family members in the back. It's a sport coupe, and I'm on the other side of the fence, I appreciate that it's not designed to accommodate this (there are other cars in the Audi line that have that ability).

·
Registered
174 Posts
In my opinion, the A5/S5 has not designed to be a "family" car, or engineered to have the ability to put a bunch of people/family members in the back. It's a sport coupe, and I'm on the other side of the fence, I appreciate that it's not designed to accommodate this (there are other cars in the Audi line that have that ability).
The s5 accomidates 2 adults and 2 kids in the back no probs and the boot can also carry 2 prams and still have enough room for some shopping bags.A lot more than can be said for other family saloon cars.I agree that a coupe is not ideal if you have a family but if you want to travel in style you have to put up with letting the kids in and out of the back seat.Either that or you buy a people carrier or suv which is not my thing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ali, hope my post was not taken the wrong way. I hear you about trying to balance style, performance, and a family, not the easiest of tasks.

I really like what Audi did with the styling of the car...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ali, hope my post was not taken the wrong way. I hear you about trying to balance style, performance, and a family, not the easiest of tasks.

I really like what Audi did with the styling of the car...
No not at all Atlantadan i was just trying to point out that the s/a5 although not a family saloon it is more than capable of doing the job.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.