Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Time for an update...I found a local dealer that has an S5 en route to the dealership that has no deposit on it. Well...had no deposit on it. Brilliant black over brown, should be mine on Saturday.
Congrats you lucky bastard!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Time for an update...I found a local dealer that has an S5 en route to the dealership that has no deposit on it. Well...had no deposit on it. Brilliant black over brown, should be mine on Saturday.
congrats jerseybeemer! I have enjoyed your postings. You will love your S5 as all of us do. You sound alot like my beemer friends who love my S5. ENJOY!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good enough for you.

I think the perception that some people are getting riled at is "good enough". I personally have no problem with it, because, everyone is different, I don't care much for the M3, because, yes, it's quick and all but the lack of styling and fit and finish and quality of M3 compared to an S5, just doesn't do it for me, the S5 looks like it easily could be a $100K car and is built that way. And that's my preference. Other people are far more concerned with other aspects of driving and they may say the S5 isn't good enough for them on those aspects and that's ok too. I have no problem with your comments as an Audi owner.

I order my S5, and can't wait to have it. For me, I was never really into M3's or BMW, not because they aren't great driving machines, but the interiors felt cheap to me and every Tom Dick and Harry had one, especially, the minute they reach yuppy status they buy a Bimmer. I've always loved Audi's understated and under appreciated quality that's part of the lure for me. Many Audi owners are like that, they love that know one knows how unbelievable the car is until they sit in one. It's like your own personal little club only a handful in the world know about. I dig that. And you too will now know the joys of this club.

Welcome to the family.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Wow - this was dead on! Nice first post! I work downtown (i.e. plenty of yuppies about) and decided to count BMWs in my garage...I got tired of counting. And, yes, it's because they are great cars, too. No doubt. But I find the same lure in having a car that is in the "underappreciated club"! I keep thinking about that 335i everytime my A5 order looks to take longer and longer, but I think I'll be able to hold out. The interior of my '96 A4 is STILL top notch (people are always amazed that it's a '96) and makes it that much easier to wait.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BMW v Audi

As the current owner of a 330ci 6sp man - my second - and having ordered an S5 to replace it I thought I would find this thread particularly interesting. But sadly, although I think it started well, I too felt it degenerated into the usual BMW v Audi slanging match - though everyone here is a tad more polite than some forums I've looked at! So without wishing to take issue with some individual comments, the post by blade summed up how I feel. He said:

I just find the whole BMW v Audi debate rediculous, they are different in so many ways and will appeal to their owners for a wide range of reasons. I have to smile when I watch the reports on the new M3, I fully accept that in engineering terms it is credit to the M division, another fantastic engine and driving dynamics to match, but where the hell can the average M3 owner put it to the test ?? I've owned lots of BMW's including an E36 M3, E46 M3, an E60 535 through to my last one a 650 Sport Coupe. When my dealer invited me along to drive the new M3 I was certain it would be my next car. sadly much as I liked it, I knew I'd never be in a position to explore it on the limits and therefore I had to look at it as an ordinary sport coupe, in that respect it left me and the guy who drove it before me, a little cold. Not so the S5, it immediatly makes you feel you're in a special place, a great interior, beautiful build and to me, better styling. It may not be as quick on the race track, but as an all round performance coupe, it takes some beating and as an average driver, I couldn't ask for more..I see no pleasure in losing the back end of my car on a wet corner, Quattro, V8 power and easily managed power deliver make the S5 a drivers car for real people...

To which I will add this: 3 years ago my dealer generously lent me an M3 for an entire weekend. I was foaming at the mouth at the prospect of this but for me, however good the old M3 was, I couldn't live with the grunting, spitting and farting the car made when the engine was cold, the general noise levels, the feeling that at any moment the car was going to chew me up, devour me and then spit me out. Oh yes it was fast but what my 330 lacks in pace is more than made up for my by it's civilised manner and how quiet it is for day to day use, and also reasons I chose to order an S5 over it's cheaper 335ci rival.

And here's another reason I didn't buy an M3 - I went out and bought a Lotus Elise for my weekend fun. I no longer have it because the novelty eventually wore off - inevitable I suppose - but it proved one thing to me at least: for pure unadulterated fun, nothing I've ever driven comes remotely close. Just don't bother trying to use one for any reason other than an early morning blast!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well said Colin..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I didn't mean to stir up a debate again. Colin, your comments about the m3 are dead on. The car is a beast with no manners, for some that's good and some that's bad. For me it was perfect for a few years. But I can honestly say I have never had a relaxing drive in my current car, ever. That get's old eventually.

My decision actually ended up coming down to a 5 series or an S5. With any car that is comperable to the S5, the S5 wins. The 5 was an option, but not because it's "better" than the S5, more because it was a decesion between a type of car. In the 2 door GT coupe arena, Audi has the best in show. Period.

Hope to have some pics of the black on brown contrast for you guys this weekend.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
At the end of the day, the S5 is a stunningly beautiful car, and with that V8 sounding sooo good, it's perfect for keeping you smiling whilst sitting in a traffic jam on the M25, where no amount of handling (from a lotus, Beemer or Prosche) is any use anyhow!

...well nearly perfect... an Aston Martin DB9 is perfect!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Can't wait to see your Brilliant Black/Tuscan as that's the combo I went with. I've been trying to find pics of Brilliant Black S5s locally or on the net but can't find any. Looking forward to seeing the pics! :cool:
Got bad news about the delivery being delayed, he gave me an explanation but as soon as he said "it's not here yet" I stopped listening. He assured me I would have it by Wednesday...the wait continues...

·
Registered
97 Posts
to sum up: Audi is taking a different design philosophy than BMW, it might be marketed as a sports car (with the initial launch in manuel only) but what they really created was a elegant GT car, performance comes second to design. I think some enthusiast just can't see past that, hence they always compare the car to M3 and 335i. The RS5 on the other hand is just a totally different animal, but that's for another discussion.

E92 M3 and S5 are two really different machines to compare, and although they both are coupes, one is just geared towards the performance spectrum but also at a different price range. 335i is a stellar performer in its class but the design is somewhat bland in my opinion, just not much of a looker. If only Audi and BMW had offsprings...

Just a edit: going to the LA autoshow today to see the M3 and S5... so happy.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.