Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is the usual BMW vs Audi thread - it happens all the time.

Your review was very fair and relatively objective. Now the discussions turn into the standard pissing contest - wish people here could sometimes imagine that others can have a different, more open perspective (I'm sure it is probably be the same on the BMW forums)...

I still think the BMW is slightly superior in terms of pure performance - and that the S5 has great performance too, but is sexier and has quattro. Don't think there's much more to say.

Thanks for your open review.

·
Registered
135 Posts

I came on here to offer what I thought was a fair and balanced review. I'm sorry that involved some negatives. I guess some aren't satisfied with anything but praise, but I don't understand how you can't handle hearing that something is "good enough" without launching into this kind of garbage. Your love for your car is awesome, but you can talk about other cars without bashing them or their owners.

I guess this thread is over...be interesting to see if the beemer board thread ends with this kind of crap.

Well, the thing is, from your perspective it was "fair and balanced". Sure I'll give you that. But I guess what is annoying to me personally and not others is backhanded praise. Your stance was "I have something great and does this version compare to it... kind of, it's good enough, etc". No car is perfect and our opinions are just that, opinions. That is okay. I'm not an audi nut who thinks they are the best thing in the world and there can't be anything better out there -- However, the constant comparisons with one particular brand is extremely lame and tiring. And maybe I do stick up for the audi brand because I feel like it doesn't get the respect in certain circles that it deserves. The web is full of the putdowns, from youtube, autospies, autoblog, and even... roadfly.

So while it sounds like I'm attacking you personally, it's more against the obsession with BMW and the assumption that they should be the benchmark that all cars should be compared against. In your case it's valid since you own one. But some of the blind superiority is hard to swallow sometimes. I mean from a large group of people, not necessarily you.

Bottom line -- I apologize for offending you personally. Don't be put off of an Audi because of one enthusiast like me. Just please really do make a "fair" evaluation.

I read far too many magazines and web forums than I should. I've had to listen to put down comments from strangers (about my cars) and politely smile. If people think I'm a jerk, fine. Reading a familiar thread over and over made me lose it. I'm going to leave this topic alone and resist the urge.

Good luck with your decision and really you're going to have a nice ride either way.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I just find the whole BMW v Audi debate rediculous, they are different in so many ways and will appeal to their owners for a wide range of reasons. I have to smile when I watch the reports on the new M3, I fully accept that in engineering terms it is credit to the M division, another fantastic engine and driving dynamics to match, but where the hell can the average M3 owner put it to the test ?? I've owned lots of BMW's including an E36 M3, E46 M3, an E60 535 through to my last one a 650 Sport Coupe. When my dealer invited me along to drive the new M3 I was certain it would be my next car. sadly much as I liked it, I knew I'd never be in a position to explore it on the limits and therefore I had to look at it as an ordinary sport coupe, in that respect it left me and the guy who drove it before me, a little cold. Not so the S5, it immediatly makes you feel you're in a special place, a great interior, beautiful build and to me, better styling. It may not be as quick on the race track, but as an all round performance coupe, it takes some beating and as an average driver, I couldn't ask for more..I see no pleasure in losing the back end of my car on a wet corner, Quattro, V8 power and easily managed power deliver make the S5 a drivers car for real people...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
But I guess what is annoying to me personally and not others is backhanded praise. Your stance was "I have something great and does this version compare to it... kind of, it's good enough, etc".

On the one isue of performance. That was my opinion, and I didn't present it as praise...backhand or otherwise. My point in it being "good enough" was that this car is such a total package that if it lacks in this one area it is only slightly and is making up for it so well with everything else.

Look, I get it, you love your car and your brand. And you hate that forum posts by BMW owners can have a dueche factor in their tunnel vision. But I'm not here to represent them and I stand by my opinions as carrying only the truth as I saw it. You're reading into it to see what you want because alot of people stroke their own ego's in forums like this by praising their own car instead of their stated intention. I understand your reaction...I just think it's some guy on roadfly that deserved it.

I thought you guys would be interested because my feelings are so overwhelmingly positive. At the same time being challenged to look accurately at the s5's strengths and weaknesses will ultimately help me make the right choice. ...not to mention that I love talkin cars with other enthusiasts like yourself.

Let's get back on topic...

Blade...I couldn't agree more. I have lost my back end on a dry corner of a freshly paved street without really pushing the car that hard. I very rarely turn off the computer intervention out of fear that I will end up on the side of the road. I too, will not miss that feeling.

Does anyone know if there are pictures floating around of Meteor Gray with white interior?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks jscott, so that certainly looks white to me...yet it's called pearl silver? Can someone just confirm that this is indeed white?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Thanks jscott, so that certainly looks white to me...yet it's called pearl silver? Can someone just confirm that this is indeed white?
It's technically not white, but that Pearl Silver interior color is the closest thing to white that you'll be able to get in the U.S. In the U.K., Audi does offer what's called Audi exclusive, which allows customers to truly customize their interior and exterior colors. In the U.K. brochure, I've seen where they have a color called Alabaster White. But, you have to pay quite a premium for that sort of thing. And U.S. customers don't even get the option of choosing the Audi exclusive service. :(

I haven't run across any pics yet of an A5/S5 with that custom Alabaster White interior color, though.

·
Registered
643 Posts
jersey, excellent review. As stated before it's great to hear the perspective from someone on "the other side of the fence" (I can imagine BBT would be just as passionate about an M3 had he bought one instead of an S4 :p ).

Although I'm not looking into an S5 myself (3.0 TDI for me), I just felt that since this excellent thread almost turned into a pissing contest, I'd try to do something to bring it back as far as possible :D

I forget if it was already mentioned, what color was the tester you drove? Red/black?

·
Registered
315 Posts
My thoughts are very similar. Except I am coming from an E36 M3 (backend heavy being convertible and custom stereo). Even though the S5 feels more "tame", being more comfortable inside and stable in the turns makes me feel better as a daily driver... but I have not tested the S5 in the mountain twisties as yet (my fav Highway 9 for you NorCal folks)... so perhaps there can be an "untaming."

I have driven an e46 M3 SMG and I did not like it that much. Sure it was faster than my E36, but I didn't feel like I was one with the road, but I guess as with any car, you just have to get used to it. The raspy exhaust was blah though.

And, yes, just like everyone says, the S5 looks awesome inside out, and the tune of the exhaust is perfect.

Nice post jerseybeemer... good luck with your decision... I've been waiting 8 years to upgrade to another car, so I needed a decision, and it was the S5.

*Funny... my snowboarding car was a '00 Dodge Durango R/T, governed at 120 MPH... and the S5 at 130 MPH, E36 was unlocked and maxed at 143 MPH*

·
Registered
9 Posts
@YelloJello, I also drive a E36 M3. Mine is a 99' 5spd Coupe.

When I saw the first picks of the S5 I thought just from the outside it might be my next car. Once I saw the driver centric console (familiar if you have an E36) I was at least going to wait for the pricing to be released. The S5 seems to do a lot of things well.

Deep Blue Sea Pearl Effect w/Tuscan on order.

-jscott

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yello, got any pics, white on tuscan must look hot! I like the bark blue on the other models alot and would love to see it on the s5 with tuscan, but they aren't offering it. I haven't seen any pictures of the tuscan floating around, so any pics would be awesome.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yello, got any pics, white on tuscan must look hot! I like the bark blue on the other models alot and would love to see it on the s5 with tuscan, but they aren't offering it. I haven't seen any pictures of the tuscan floating around, so any pics would be awesome.
Not sure where "bark blue" falls on the spectrum, but there are two blues on the S5, both of which are pearl finish paints: Deep Sea Blue, a midnightish shade; and Sprint Blue, which is closer to the classic medium blue, at least according to the swatch in the brochure, that Audi has offered various flavors of over the years on virtually all their models. I went with the Sprint Blue for my S5. You can find some more pics of that color online and at least one video on YouTube, however, I don't think the color translates anywhere near close to what it is in real life on the computer screen.

(Incidentally, and not to nitpick, sorry, but in an earlier post you said your dealer demo was phantom grey. There is no such color. It seems that all the dealers are getting the same demo car, meteor grey over Magma.)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yup, meteor gray, my bad. The blue I was hoping for is called Night Blue Pearl Effect. I've seen a bunch of a6's with brown interior around my way and the color combo is fantastic.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yea... i'm looking for Tuscan pics too! Mine is set for delivery around end of the year... I'm asking in the audizine forum where someone took pics of a white s5 with brownish interior (pic below), but the brown looks a little lighter than what I expected... but still waiting for confirmation of that exact interior. It might actually be magma red, because my photo of the magma red at some angles look faded also.

By the way, I think dark blue will be awesome... that would be my second choice. My dodge durango and dodge ram were dark blue (looks black at night), and e36 is silver... so I'm gonna try the white.

brown or red?...

tuscan brown...

magma red...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Looks like red in bad lighting to me...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think it is the brown in bad lighting - on the red ones the pastic casing on the bottom of the seats is clearly black (and not on your first picture), so unless we have other pictures leading to point that with brown seats have black casing, this is probably brown ( with bad lighting).....

It's all about little details....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm... I hope the tuscan production cars don't have a brown plastic base. To me it doesn't look right. I think they should just leave the base all black like the rest of the interior.

I could see a brown base if the rest of the interior was beige/brown but it's not.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Time for an update...I found a local dealer that has an S5 en route to the dealership that has no deposit on it. Well...had no deposit on it. Brilliant black over brown, should be mine on Saturday.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.