Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had an opportunity for a nice half hour drive with the S5. I currently have a (soon to be out of date) m3 and have always felt that it is the test that all other non-exotic cars should be held to. One other thing...I am a die-hard BMW guy. So here's my 2 cents...

Audi has done alot of things perfectly. The design of the car in person is striking. Couple of details that caught my eye specifically: the door locks are totally electronic, no button at all...very slick. Volume knob for the radio next to the stick shift...niiiiiice, seems like a small thing, but it is just perfect. When you get out of the car, the foot plate and body around it seem incredibly low. Gives the car a very low profile (read: pimp) feel. The seats are VERY comfortable for sport seats. Returning to my m3 seat felt like crawling into an old matress after sleeping at a 5 star hotel. Let me say it again, comfort on these seats are through the roof.

The interior on this car is extremely well thought out and comfortable. The design is simply gorgeous; bigger in apperarance than a sport coupe should be, but still sleek and sporty. I cant help but to think of the old Mercedes CLK every time i look at pictures of the s5, in person is not much different...but that was a badass looking ride, and this is taking those lines to a new level.

But...i have an m3...so there is something else very VERY important to me. Performance. Speed and handeling. Without good measures of both, my spot in line for the new m3 will be safe. And here's the facts as i see (and felt) them. This is a more mature ride. The m3 is very raw...from the sound to the straight line acceleration, to the think it and it goes steering. This s5 is not that. But that's not all bad. Let me try to explain...

The "oh shit, didnt mean to give you whiplash" moments just aren't there in the same way that a porsche, m3, or dare I say it, mustang will give you. The power off the line is defintly there, but it's not as violent or shocking. Again, for me anyway, that's not all bad. The s5 is defintly fast, but after 2 years of driving an m3 I've gotten used to a rocket feel. At this point I should note that the HP and torque numbers are superior to the outgoing m3, but BMW numbers always feel and perform much better than is stated.

The handeling is good, almost great. Being used to BMW is a bit of a handicap when stepping into any non-exotic non-porsche sports car so I am a bit used to a pretty high bar with handeling. I like the way it handles, but I am left saying it is "good enough." One thing i did notice was that feedback from the road through the steering wheel was not there the way I am used to, again...not all bad as sometimes, that gets to be annoying.

I liked the shifter, though I did miss 2nd twice in the half hour demo. The shifts are short, the throw is easy, and the clutch is definitly not heavy or light, just right.

Final thoughts; when on my test drive I passed by a 30 something in a new 3 series. He almost veered off the road as he stared and smiled, i thought that was interesting...and the looks of the car are gonna get alot of that. Later in the night, I was driving to dinner and got a appreciative honk and thumbs up when I was back in my m3, but this time from 3 17 year olds. How fitting; this car is not for the person who wants a mustang with status, its more refined and that is good most of the time, and good enough others. All in all, I have to say that this car fits quite nice into a consumer niche of being too old for the finely tuned german muscle car but not quite ready to drive a 5 series crowd. The price, looks, and "good enough" power and handeling may be enough to bring me over to the 4 rings. I have time to figure that out, in the meantime I'll enjoy every whiplash moment I can get.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Its good to see a BMW fan give an Audi an honest and fair review. I have to agree on some of the things you said especially the steering feel, which is common across the Audi range bar the RS4 which has the best feeling across the range (Not sure about the R8, never driven it - but im sure its better).

M3 is definetly a car that is a lot more raw in comparison, but I think the intention of the S5 was to be a more refined GT more than anything leaving room for its big brother the RS5 to challenge the M3.

As for the sound - I love that M3 raspy exhaust note but for me the V8 rumble from the S5 is the nuts, although when mine comes along I will get a Miltek to make it just that little bit better.

Oh and welcome to the forum - I noticed it was your first post.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would say that is pretty objective review and comparison. It's hard to find in bmw and audi forums. Car enthusiasts have such strong brand loyalty and all kinds of crap gets said about whatever is perceived as "the competition".

Anyway, I agree with your opinions. I see the M3, both recent model and the newest model, as more of a sports car in a coupe body. A body that is more approachable and performance better than many actual sports cars. Lots of power and that rawness you speak of.

And I do think some of that rawness is not present with an Audi S4 and S5, and I think it's completely intentional. And it's something I personally really like about them. I own an S4 and a Mini Cooper S. The S4 has 340hp, 310 lbs ft of torque and the mini has 170hp and a supercharger. Driving the Mini all weekend is a blast and although it's only a Mini, the handling and road feel is excellent and at times "feels" much faster than it really is. Then I get back in the S4... The recaro seats are so comfortable, the ride is responsive but not jarring over rough road, the V8 has a nice non aspirated engine whine, and there is gobs of power and acceleration. I can put passengers in the back seat, or put the seats down and load it up with tons of stuff from Costco.

Sure, I couldn't really throw it around a track since it's AWD, and there are other cars that can get to 60 mph a few tenths of a second faster. But it doesn't matter to me. It has all the qualities I love in a car. And if I drive down a busy street and nobody checks out the car I couldn't care less. I like the understated design.

Anyway, it's all about the qualities we value the most. The fit and finish is superb, and the power is far more than "good enough".

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with most all you say - except for the handling. The feel is different, and the objective is different, but the handling is top notch, the limits are simply different. I would say the limits on the S5 are further than on a M3, because of quattro mainly, and thus on a dry surface, the car would be more difficult to control once beyond this further limit, however under regular use and potential wet roads, totally different story....

M3 is closer to a track car (without being one absoluteyl)and better than that because of perkier engine and rear wheel drive, and S5 is a high performance GT coupe. M3 is more potential fun and performance (with new one for sure) - S5 sexier more rational day to day sports car.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S5France, I agree that the feel is different, very different...I am sorry to say I felt it was less accurate. The handling ended up feeling less accurate as an extention of the feel, but now that I think about it that is really not fair. Clearly it will be harder to break the wheels loose on the s5, my m3 without traction control and a heavy foot is like a motorcycle in the snow.

So the responses seem to be that the words refined and mature are appropriate and were definetly what i experienced. I guess it comes down to if I am dissapointed by the lack of "get the hell out of my way" or if I am tempted by the S5 sexier more rational day to day sports car.....

I know alot of people might disagree, but I gotta say this cause I've been thinking it since I left the dealership...

All the analysis above leads me to the s5 being a bit less fun, but better in so many other ways; why can't I have an automatic! This isnt the r8...audi needs to get over itself in thinking this car is all about racing your way to work. It's not! You guys are using words like reserved and rational, not just me. I've had a manual for 6 years now, and I'd love to get a car that made sense to buy with an automatic, but wasnt boring from a design standpoint (5 series). This is fitting the bill nicely...but do I HAVE to work a clutch if this is a sexier more rational day to day sports car.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
S5France, I agree that the feel is different, very different...I am sorry to say I felt it was less accurate. The handling ended up feeling less accurate as an extention of the feel, but now that I think about it that is really not fair. Clearly it will be harder to break the wheels loose on the s5, my m3 without traction control and a heavy foot is like a motorcycle in the snow.

So the responses seem to be that the words refined and mature are appropriate and were definetly what i experienced. I guess it comes down to if I am dissapointed by the lack of "get the hell out of my way" or if I am tempted by the S5 sexier more rational day to day sports car.....

I know alot of people might disagree, but I gotta say this cause I've been thinking it since I left the dealership...

All the analysis above leads me to the s5 being a bit less fun, but better in so many other ways; why can't I have an automatic! This isnt the r8...audi needs to get over itself in thinking this car is all about racing your way to work. It's not! You guys are using words like reserved and rational, not just me. I've had a manual for 6 years now, and I'd love to get a car that made sense to buy with an automatic, but wasnt boring from a design standpoint (5 series). This is fitting the bill nicely...but do I HAVE to work a clutch if this is a sexier more rational day to day sports car.....
For now you do atleast, you can get it with an auto. But it wont come until atleast Jan.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any word on the Auidi version of SMG? I think this car would be a perfect fit for that option.

·
Registered
314 Posts
R-Tronic wont come to this car I dont think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good review....thanks for sharing. This will be my first Audi so it's good to see objective reviews from those who own other makes. Maybe the RS5 (if and when it comes out) will be a better challenge to the M3 in performance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Today I had an opportunity for a nice half hour drive with the S5. I currently have a (soon to be out of date) m3 and have always felt that it is the test that all other non-exotic cars should be held to. One other thing...I am a die-hard BMW guy. So here's my 2 cents...

Audi has done alot of things perfectly. * * * The price, looks, and "good enough" power and handeling may be enough to bring me over to the 4 rings. I have time to figure that out, in the meantime I'll enjoy every whiplash moment I can get.
Good review. Appreciate the honesty. (Which dealer in NJ did you go to for your drive, BTW? I ordered my car frtom Bell in Rahway.) Clearly, Audi intends this to be a GT car, as opposed to BMW, which intends its M3 to be a sports car. So "more mature," or maybe "more refined," might be a perfect way to characterize the difference between the two rides. For my money, I'm much happier with where Audi chose to come down for a car I can live with in the real world.

Last month's C&D (or maybe it was R&T) reviewed the new M3, and even with all the bells and whistles of the chopped down 10 cylinder(BMW pretty much lopped 2 cylinders off the M5's 10 cylinder to make the M3's 8 cylinder), clocked the M3 to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds. That means there is only something like 2/10 to 6/10 of a second in straight line acceleration (depending on whose numbers you believe) between the M3 and S5. But with the S5 you get:

1) a killer interior,
2) NO iDrive (I will not consider a BMW as long as they have the stupid iDrive system, because they overcomplicated the electronics to the point of stupididty with it)
3) real trunk space
4) a real back seat (not that I plan to spend nay time there);
5) superior reliability;
6) superior interior; and
5) quattro, quattro, quattro.

Oh, and the S5 is also drop dead gorgeous and not saddled with tacky extra hood scoops and body bulges, like the new M3.

So, whereas for about the same price -- although optioned out the M3 will probably cost more than the S5 -- you can have the new M3, carbon fiber roof and all, or the S5. In the real world, I'll take -- and have already ordered -- the S5 every day.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good review....thanks for sharing. This will be my first Audi so it's good to see objective reviews from those who own other makes. Maybe the RS5 (if and when it comes out) will be a better challenge to the M3 in performance.
I posted this on the m3 board i frequent and a current (e92) m3 owner pondered about comparing the 2 cars...to that i said this, which I think sums it up...

It would be great if you went and tested an s5 since you could compare accurately. I agree, i dont think they compare well though. Prices are gonna end up about 20% off, and the power is off by about the same which basically equalls that they are in different classes.

However, given that I for one am in the market and considering both...I guess at least for me, audi has done a good enough job to compete for the market share if not on the track. If I am not alone, then that says an awful lot about what Audi is delivering in terms of total package (design, performance, quality, and value).

If you take price out the equation and you have to compare it to a BMW, I think this car actually is competing with the 6 series. With quattro...and price added back into the equation it is destroying it's "competetion."

·
Registered
135 Posts
I posted this on the m3 board i frequent and a current (e92) m3 owner pondered about comparing the 2 cars...to that i said this, which I think sums it up...

It would be great if you went and tested an s5 since you could compare accurately. I agree, i dont think they compare well though. Prices are gonna end up about 20% off, and the power is off by about the same which basically equalls that they are in different classes.

However, given that I for one am in the market and considering both...I guess at least for me, audi has done a good enough job to compete for the market share if not on the track. If I am not alone, then that says an awful lot about what Audi is delivering in terms of total package (design, performance, quality, and value).

If you take price out the equation and you have to compare it to a BMW, I think this car actually is competing with the 6 series. With quattro...and price added back into the equation it is destroying it's "competetion."
Well keep in mind also that M3 owners think the car is at least 10 - 20% better than it really is. :)

I don't see why there absolutely has to be a direct comparison to a BMW model. It is what it is. There are plusses and minuses for both models and an S5 does compare favorably with the new M3. Both V8's, the audi has 325 lbs ft of torque versus the M3's 295 but the M3 has 420 hp versus the 354. So what does it amount to? roughly .4 seconds 0-60 (average of 4.5 versus 4.9) and hardly anything on a quarter mile. I'm not a "0-60" kind of guy as it's so pointless. But I suppose some people need some kind of bragging rights. I'll take the gorgeous interior, quattro AWD and a design that is more appealing to me (that is up to each individual).

The funny thing to me is the common belief by the bimmer fans that nothing out there really comes close to a BMW. They forget that it's 2007 and not 1997. I'm not saying bmw's suck but I AM saying that recent Audi's are underrated by the elitists out there. Many Americans think of Audi as a glorified VW which is pretty funny.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's very interesting to read the comments on both the m3 board and this one. One guy on the m3 board actually said that more comfortable seats were bad :confused: . At the same time...some of you are minimizing the performance differences between the s5 and the m3...having driven both I have no doubt my e46 is faster and more agile. The new e92 I believe will be for a different market, that car seems to compare better with a 911s. Numbers from manufacturers and magazines mean shit. Get out and drive the cars and you will know the differences.

The first time I drove an m3 it was 10-20% better than I thought it would be, ever driven one BBT?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Interesting. You mentioned that the E46 is faster than an S5? Are you comparing your personal M3 that you are very familiar with (likely well broken-in) with a brand new S5 with hardly any miles, no familiarity and that is very likely not broken-in?

IMO, that is not a proper comparison for looking at power vs. power, as I would expect that the M3 would be far quicker than the S5. Having owned Audis for a long time, they don't perform well at all until they reach at least 1500mi, before which they are fighting internal friction and have horrible gas mileage. After that first oil change it nearly feels like a different car and after 5000mi it gets remarkably better. I would think BMW's would behave similarly, at least from what I had experienced from my driving a 335.

I imagine that the M3, particularly the E46 would be noticably more agile than the S5 though, that makes sense given Audi's intentions with the S5. I can't compare personally as I have yet to drive an S5 but I'm looking forward very much.

It's very interesting to read the comments on both the m3 board and this one. One guy on the m3 board actually said that more comfortable seats were bad :confused: . At the same time...some of you are minimizing the performance differences between the s5 and the m3...having driven both I have no doubt my e46 is faster and more agile. The new e92 I believe will be for a different market, that car seems to compare better with a 911s. Numbers from manufacturers and magazines mean shit. Get out and drive the cars and you will know the differences.

The first time I drove an m3 it was 10-20% better than I thought it would be, ever driven one BBT?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. You mentioned that the E46 is faster than an S5? Are you comparing your personal M3 that you are very familiar with (likely well broken-in) with a brand new S5 with hardly any miles, no familiarity and that is very likely not broken-in?

IMO, that is not a proper comparison for looking at power vs. power. Having owned Audis for a long time, they don't perform well at all until they reach at least 1500mi, before which they are fighting internal friction and have horrible gas mileage. After that first oil change it nearly feels like a different car and after 5000mi it gets remarkably better. I would think BMW's would behave similarly, at least from what I had experienced from my driving a 335.

I imagine that the M3, particularly the E46 would be noticably more agile than the S5 though, that makes sense given Audi's intentions with the S5. I can't compare personally as I have yet to drive an S5 but I'm looking forward very much.

I have nothing else to compare so...yes...that's what I'm comparing. The comment was more about the sillyness of comparing it with the new m3. But I will say I am very happy to hear your experience. As my review indicated the power was a "this'll have to do" part of my thoughts about buying one. More and more, my car buying decision is leaning to manual or stick as opposed to BMW or Audi. I have always looked for the best total package according to my tastes, not any one particualr thing. Within my price range that was first a pontiac Grand Prix GTP...then a BMW 330ci...then my current m3. I am only loyal to the idea that driving is fun, and cars can be art...not a brand. Audi s5 is just offering so much at that price...

·
Registered
135 Posts

There are two factors that are affecting your thinking in subtle ways -- one is branding and listening to so called car enthusiasts on M3 boards like RoadFly or some place like that, and the actual perceptions we feel when driving an automobile. I alluded to this second factor in my post above about the Mini Cooper (ironically made by BMW). The car "feels" way faster than it really is. The engine has a nice loud note, the steering and handling is tight and firm and it is very fun to drive. My S4 is so much faster but does it in such a refined way it's amazing, and you look at the speedometer and sometimes are surprised you're already at 95.

Now, you can say magazines and numbers from manufacturer's don't mean shit, but laws of physics actually apply here. If you don't want to believe that a car like an S5 puts up some impressive numbers rivaling a precious M car, that is your choice. But facts are facts.

And yeah I have driven the M3, along with a ton of other cars. It's not for me, for the same reason that a Viper, or Mustang is not for me. I don't like the roughness and the pathetic interior. Plus I'm not crazy about the idea of driving down the street and people thinking "look at the douchebag in the BMW". Some models just ooze doucheness.

Nothing personal at all, but your point of view is like this, "yeah the Audi is nice but I just have to decide if I can settle for 'good enough', and not the ultimate driving machine." You need to drive some other cars as well. Mercedes, Lexus and stuff to round out perceptions. But ultimately I see another BMW in your future.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are two factors that are affecting your thinking in subtle ways -- one is branding and listening to so called car enthusiasts on M3 boards like RoadFly or some place like that

Right...and you know this about me how?

Now, you can say magazines and numbers from manufacturer's don't mean shit, but laws of physics actually apply here. If you don't want to believe that a car like an S5 puts up some impressive numbers rivaling a precious M car, that is your choice. But facts are facts.

Who said I don't believe the numbers? The numbers indicate that the m3 is faster...what exactly is your point? Saying they don't mean shit meant that they are less important than the driving experience, I thought that was obvious, perhaps my dumbed down version wont be lost on you.

Plus I'm not crazy about the idea of driving down the street and people thinking "look at the douchebag in the BMW". Some models just ooze doucheness.

BMW or Audi, a douchbag is a douchbag, your owning an Audi isn't hiding that.

You need to drive some other cars as well. Mercedes, Lexus and stuff to round out perceptions.

You have alot of opinions and assumptions about someone you don't know.

Nothing personal at all
:eek: Oh Really?!?!

Hate on BMW owners much?

I came on here to offer what I thought was a fair and balanced review. I'm sorry that involved some negatives. I guess some aren't satisfied with anything but praise, but I don't understand how you can't handle hearing that something is "good enough" without launching into this kind of garbage. Your love for your car is awesome, but you can talk about other cars without bashing them or their owners.

I guess this thread is over...be interesting to see if the beemer board thread ends with this kind of crap.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are two factors that are affecting your thinking in subtle ways -- one is branding and listening to so called car enthusiasts on M3 boards like RoadFly or some place like that

Who said I don't believe the numbers? The numbers indicate that the m3 is faster...what exactly is your point? Saying they don't mean shit meant that they are less important than the driving experience, I thought that was obvious, perhaps my dumbed down version wont be lost on you.

Plus I'm not crazy about the idea of driving down the street and people thinking "look at the douchebag in the BMW". Some models just ooze doucheness.

You need to drive some other cars as well. Mercedes, Lexus and stuff to round out perceptions.

Nothing personal at all

Hate on BMW owners much?

I came on here to offer what I thought was a fair and balanced review. I'm sorry that involved some negatives. I guess some aren't satisfied with anything but praise, but I don't understand how you can't handle hearing that something is "good enough" without launching into this kind of garbage. Your love for your car is awesome, but you can talk about other cars without bashing them or their owners.

I guess this thread is over...be interesting to see if the beemer board thread ends with this kind of crap.
Your review was perfect man, dont let that douche let you think any other way.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Nothing personal at all

Hate on BMW owners much?

Why are you insulting jersebeemer? The guy called it like he saw it, or felt it (more accurately), and the honesty in his review came through loud and clear. While there are no doubt many poseurs who drive M cars, nothing jerseybeemer said would seem to indicate that he's one of them. Jersey, please don't take offense even if you have very right to be offended. Sometimes pepole click that post button before they''ve had a chance to consider carefullt what they're about to say. (I did too. My comment on your review counted killer interior twice, forget the misspellings!)

·
Registered
40 Posts

Audi has done alot of things perfectly. The design of the car in person is striking. Couple of details that caught my eye specifically: the door locks are totally electronic, no button at all...very slick. Volume knob for the radio next to the stick shift...niiiiiice, seems like a small thing, but it is just perfect. When you get out of the car, the foot plate and body around it seem incredibly low. Gives the car a very low profile (read: pimp) feel. The seats are VERY comfortable for sport seats. Returning to my m3 seat felt like crawling into an old matress after sleeping at a 5 star hotel. Let me say it again, comfort on these seats are through the roof.

The interior on this car is extremely well thought out and comfortable. The design is simply gorgeous; bigger in apperarance than a sport coupe should be, but still sleek and sporty. I cant help but to think of the old Mercedes CLK every time i look at pictures of the s5, in person is not much different...but that was a badass looking ride, and this is taking those lines to a new level.

But...i have an m3...so there is something else very VERY important to me. Performance. Speed and handeling. Without good measures of both, my spot in line for the new m3 will be safe. And here's the facts as i see (and felt) them. This is a more mature ride. The m3 is very raw...from the sound to the straight line acceleration, to the think it and it goes steering. This s5 is not that. But that's not all bad. Let me try to explain...

The "oh shit, didnt mean to give you whiplash" moments just aren't there in the same way that a porsche, m3, or dare I say it, mustang will give you. The power off the line is defintly there, but it's not as violent or shocking. Again, for me anyway, that's not all bad. The s5 is defintly fast, but after 2 years of driving an m3 I've gotten used to a rocket feel. At this point I should note that the HP and torque numbers are superior to the outgoing m3, but BMW numbers always feel and perform much better than is stated.

The handeling is good, almost great. Being used to BMW is a bit of a handicap when stepping into any non-exotic non-porsche sports car so I am a bit used to a pretty high bar with handeling. I like the way it handles, but I am left saying it is "good enough." One thing i did notice was that feedback from the road through the steering wheel was not there the way I am used to, again...not all bad as sometimes, that gets to be annoying.

I liked the shifter, though I did miss 2nd twice in the half hour demo. The shifts are short, the throw is easy, and the clutch is definitly not heavy or light, just right.

Final thoughts; when on my test drive I passed by a 30 something in a new 3 series. He almost veered off the road as he stared and smiled, i thought that was interesting...and the looks of the car are gonna get alot of that. Later in the night, I was driving to dinner and got a appreciative honk and thumbs up when I was back in my m3, but this time from 3 17 year olds. How fitting; this car is not for the person who wants a mustang with status, its more refined and that is good most of the time, and good enough others. All in all, I have to say that this car fits quite nice into a consumer niche of being too old for the finely tuned german muscle car but not quite ready to drive a 5 series crowd. The price, looks, and "good enough" power and handeling may be enough to bring me over to the 4 rings. I have time to figure that out, in the meantime I'll enjoy every whiplash moment I can get.

A very extensive and interesting report...well done:D

Here is my 2 penneth worth, although I have decided to hang on till the RS5 appears:p

All, just back from a stunning test drive of the S5. The car was fantastic. The low end grunt from the 4.2 V8 is simply awesome, and felt effortless. The noise is simply magic! I was suprised by the ride, as it felt very similar to my CS, but the road noise was far less in the S5. Steering was precise, and a tad lighter than the CS. The car felt very quick, and stuck to the road like glue. Considering it had only done 4k it was very agile , sharp and wanting to constantly be driven.

Interior was mega, and the MMI platform far exceeds the Idrive. I like the fact that Audi have planted the MMI buttons next to the selector so you donnt have to scroll through the screen to get to say telephone or CD etc. Seats were very comfortable, although no side hug adjustment, which was a bit disserpointing as I like to be tight in my seat. However the interior is leaps and bounds in front of the E92 M3. I have just specked up a fully loaded S5, and its coming in at 45k....a whole 10k cheaper than the E92 M3 with similar spec. Thats a lot of car for the money, and no way is the M3 worth 10k more. Now I need to decide if i wait for the RS5, or maybe take the plunge and go for a S5. Delivery lead time is 5 to 6 months, which is fine by me.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts