Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm torn between these two cars.

I own a B8.5 S5 Sportback with the V6T motor. I do like it, but every time I see an A7 (first generation), I can't help but stare. Their low, wide, swooping design just has so much presence on the road. I think they may even be Audi's best looking car (subjective, of course).

The A7 comes with the same 3.0 TFSI motor and 7 speed s-tronic gearbox (here in New Zealand), and they are roughly the same price. The S7 is way out of the price bracket, so I won't be comparing that here.

So, I finally went and test drove the A7 to try and get some closure on the topic. I was hoping it would feel too slow and boring, but it wasn't.

The A7 definitely felt slower. It was less "urgent" than the S5. This is compounded by the fact that they are much, much quieter in terms of engine/exhaust and sound deadening. That said, it wasn't a slow car. It still accelerated quickly and smoothly - plenty enough.

However, the interior was much better across the board. It felt wide, substantial, and more luxurious. The electric tailgate makes you feel like pure luxury.

Both models can be equipped with a load of options such as lane assist, blind spot monitoring, and so on. I will discard those comparisons for now.

So it comes down to this - the vibe of the car.

The A7 looks better inside and out, while still being a healthy performer. But, you lose out on the "S" badge street-cred and the "drama" of the S5 speed and sound.

Getting back into my S5 Sportback after the A7 test drive was interesting. I felt cramped and the interior felt cheap. But the speed and sound were certainly more engaging.

I'm thinking of selling the S5 and getting the A7, the vibe seems to suit me but I wonder if I'll get bored...

Anyone have anything to add/share on this comparison?

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I agree that the A7 looks almost regal, but I have never sat in one. The S7 would be the logical step but money rules that out for now, personally I think that I would stay with the S5 for a while and see how the retail values move.....

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
887 Posts
I know I’m going to sound biased and especially since this forums is based on this specific platform, but I’m going to have to say S5 sport back!

😉

~Alex

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
So a basic ecu tune gets your gen 1 A7 to around 400 German neddies and over 500 torques

Superchips will reprogram on your drive for £260 but probably not your drive in NZ....

But there will be someone local to you I am sure.

Hope that confuses you even more.

Most people don't know the difference between an a5 s line and an s5.........
But they will won't forget the a7....specially not this one

Or this one....

·
Registered
77 Posts
The A7 has only touchscreens, no physical knobs or buttons for the infotainment/climate controls. That would be the deal-killer for me. I hope that trend goes away.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Hi Botch, 2018 on you are right, and it would piss me off too. Drilling through menus to change the temperature or turning off the music to use the voice control is just tech for techs sake.

Over in Blighty the first mainstream exponents of screens and no knobs was Peugeot.
That saved the dealers quite a lot of money as they didn't have to give you a bag to save the knobs in when they fell off on the first trip home from the dealers, nor buy industrial quantities of superglue to put them back on with....

However OP specifically states first generation

Plenty of buttons and knobs....and buttons...

Reactions: Botch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree about telling the difference between an A5 and an S5. To an enthusiast, the difference is obvious and the appropriate amount of "street cred" is awarded :D

However, aside from that tiny red badge, I feel like the A7 is a more visually arresting car.

They are just beautiful, and undeniably German looking.

Has anyone here driven or owned both?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts