Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have been a time member of AudiWorld for years but have been impressed by the depth of the tech knowledge here (as well as the greater number of global members). Specs in my sig, but I've had my Phantom S5 since October 2007. The S5 joins my highly-modded TT Roadster and my wife's B6 A4.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What's up man??

Friendly and knowledgable group on here. The only bad thing is the moderators suck!! (Kidding TX, don't ban me!!)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Sizzle! It definitely seems less frothy than AW, that's for sure. Lots of good knowledge.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Welcome! Looks like you've missed out on the agonising wait ... for many of us here this forum has been a life-saver, helping us hold onto the last grasps of sanity.

Yours must have been one of the 1st US S5's? Then again, there seem to have been so few actually delivered to the states that I guess that's true of anyone who had their car delivered last week :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much! I did miss out on the long wait, yes - by getting very lucky. I had a Daytona Grey special order car in the order bank, with Audi Exclusive interior and European Delivery... then we found out the wife was pregnant, so no travelling for us! Given this, I bought the Phantom car as soon as it arrived at the dealership. I believe that it was the first car to be delivered in Washington State, and certainly amongst the first delivered in North America. As it turns out, I made the right choice; as of mid-February, my order bank commission number had not yet been pulled for production... so I'd *still* be waiting (and would likely have ended up in an M3). I'm glad I'm in the S5.

Better to be lucky, than good!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Europa! Glad to hear you've found this forum to be helpful. You did indeed get very lucky in finding your car when you did. That's awesome how well things worked out for you.

Sizzle, personal attacks will not be tolerated. Let this be your first warning! (Haha ... just kidding. :) )

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
:eek: :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
good to see more converts from AW.... :)

i find that this forum has more active posters and is much more easy to follow than AW.... hope you find the same Europa :)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Seifufu. While I definitely recognize the depth of knowledge here, the more respective candor of the members, and the number of active global members who are interested in modding the cars, I must say that I find this forum format to be infinitely more difficult to follow than AudiWorld. I don't want to make my intro and then hose-down my host, but I find this forum software to be so confusing to follow and grossly inefficient to read. That said, I'll get used to it.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Xpl0d!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've not used AW before really, i find it really odd. Do people just reply with really short messages in the title cause i find it really strange when you click someones reply title theres nothing on the following page. I dabble in web design (more the development side of things) and i have to say AW is terrible, and very american :) lol.

Oh completely forgot to say Welcome, Welcome Europa :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hello, Seifufu. While I definitely recognize the depth of knowledge here, the more respective candor of the members, and the number of active global members who are interested in modding the cars, I must say that I find this forum format to be infinitely more difficult to follow than AudiWorld. I don't want to make my intro and then hose-down my host, but I find this forum software to be so confusing to follow and grossly inefficient to read. That said, I'll get used to it.
Really?? I think Audi World is much more confusing because the responses are out of order and you can't tell if someone has written anything inside of their subject line.

Anyways....I <3 A5OC.....

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heh, thanks, Robb. I am always surprised when people don't like the AudiWorld layout. The advantage of AW is that you can scan the forum quickly, reading many posts and the subject lines of the replies to these posts, all within the main page of the forum/sub-forum. Sometimes, a reply requires only the space of the subject line; in that case, it's indicated by a no text icon, or "NT," and it's very quick for the reader to identify these. If there's more that needs to be said, you can put it in the body of the post and give a preview with your subject line (the NT, then, isn't shown). By contrast, this forum format requires you to click on EVERY post in order to see the replies, then you must
-
-
scroll
-
-
all
-
-
the
-
-
way
-
-
through
-
-
the
-
-
thread
-
-
... just to see the replies... while(st) going through everyone's sig, all of the message headers, and other elements that I find to be extraneous and cluttered. AudiWorld gives you a preview page of all the threads, and all the responses. Sometimes, the real value is in the responses, and you can see the beginnings of these responses on the front page and you can make a quick determination of whether or not the post merits a click (whether by judging the posts on the subject line, or the usual insightfulness of the poster, etc.). In this forum, you must click on each post to see if the contents are of value. Even if the thread is active, you have no way of knowing if the 100 responses are of substance, or mererly "OMG UR CAR IS SO HAWT" responses.

Bottom line: I find this forum format to be terribly, terribly inefficient as a reader.

Oh, and don't get me started on the smiley icons... oof :p

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree on the forum layout lol, but I agree with the emo icons, they annoy me too.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Said differently, it's as if you're trying to watch television in 5 different rooms, running back and forth (this forum format), rather than bringing every TV into the same room and just scanning each screen. You can watch one if you so choose, or just monitor all at once.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Welcome man.

What's up man??

Friendly and knowledgable group on here. The only bad thing is the moderators suck!! (Kidding TX, don't ban me!!)
Sizzle, you crack me up...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Really?? I think Audi World is much more confusing because the responses are out of order and you can't tell if someone has written anything inside of their subject line.

Anyways....I <3 A5OC.....
+1 :cool:

·
Registered
483 Posts
okay, i buy your 'at a glance' argument.... but please tell me this then (i am just not smart enough to figure it out on my own):

how do you see all the new/recent posts on AW since your last visit?

within a thread, esp one with a lot of responses, how do i know which responses have been read and which ones have not been read at a glance (without going over the whole thread from beginning to end)...

last but not least, say, i want to see all mod-related threads? is there a quick way to do that on AW?

thanks...

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
okay, i buy your 'at a glance' argument.... but please tell me this then (i am just not smart enough to figure it out on my own):

how do you see all the new/recent posts on AW since your last visit?
By tracking a thread that you are interested in, any responses since your last login will show up with bolded text in the link, and the thread will be at the top of the page. As for new threads that are created after your last login (not responses/sub-threads), I tend to remember where I left off or when I last logged-in, so I start there. I can tell immediately how the conversation has progressed in each thread at a quick glance, and I can decide to jump in based on the original post or a reply. I suppose this is a side-benefit: sometimes, the responses and resulting conversations are far more interesting than the lead posts. By seeing a snippet of the whole conversation, you can dive into posts that you'd ordinarily skip.

within a thread, esp one with a lot of responses, how do i know which responses have been read and which ones have not been read at a glance (without going over the whole thread from beginning to end)...
Again, look for the bolded threads. If there's been a lot of activity since your last post, and there are a lot of new threads, it can get overwhelming, but just use two windows (since all of the new bold threads will reset to read once you've responded to any of them). I use shift-click to open a new window to read whichever responses are of interest, and respond in the second window, keeping the first window open so I don't lose my place. I agree, this does sound a bit awkward, but I find it to be plenty quick.

last but not least, say, i want to see all mod-related threads? is there a quick way to do that on AW?
No. This is AW's downfall, in my opinion, second only to its miserably useless search function. AW is notoriously off-topic, even within car-specific forums. The mod-specific forums (1.8T forum, Forced Induction, 4.2 forum, suspension, etc.) are good because they consolidate knowledge from all members, but fail because they're not mode-specific and there's no real traffic. While the OT nature of all of AW's forums doesn't bother me at all - it is a community, after all - I wish there were a better way to filter. I'm on another forum with a bunch of AW exiles and we're using a modified Kawf that has "tags," and it solves the problem... at least, theoretically. Tags only work if the users are disciplined enough to both use the tags, and use them correctly. I'll note also that this exile forum has a fantastic search function, written by one of the members.

Heh - sorry, guys - it looks like this thread has (inintentionally) become an essay on the relative value of each forum format. Am happy to be here, honestly. LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts