Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone switched from the resonated system to non-resonated? Any feedback? Any regrets?

In looking at the following picture, I don't think I will have room (given the post-resonator bend) to flange the resonator and swap it back if I don't like it:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Just do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmL7ocFfLDM

Key Quattro, how's it going? Personally I'd recommend you do it - as per the comparison video I made, the difference is marked (and IMO, wholly positive)! Sure, the exhaust noise is more evident inside the car as well as out but in an entirely pleasant sense - and I either have the B & O off, so I can hear the full induction repertoire, or up too loud to hear any exhaust noise anyway.

Regarding re-fitting the original resonated section - I'm not sure what you mean by 'flanging the resonator' to swap it back? - I'd kind of assumed that 'what goes up, must come down', i.e., the original centre section will go straight back on if/when I choose. There was no mods necessay to the other exhaust components in order to fit the non-res centre pipes; direct swap as far as I know......?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Quite a lot of the early modders went resonated to begin with but then non-res when that became available.

You get slightly more boom at low revs under acceleration (e.g. 5th gear at 30mph accelerating - although fine at constant speed and higher revs) but the sound is so much more enjoyable and noticeable.

Like Ess5ive, I do turn the music off at times just to listen to the car as it still makes you smile, even after a few years of use.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmL7ocFfLDMRegarding re-fitting the original resonated section - I'm not sure what you mean by 'flanging the resonator' to swap it back? - I'd kind of assumed that 'what goes up, must come down', i.e., the original centre section will go straight back on if/when I choose. There was no mods necessay to the other exhaust components in order to fit the non-res centre pipes; direct swap as far as I know......?
Thanks for the feedback and my intent was to cut-out the resonator in the center pipes of my Milltek resonator-equipped car but maybe I should just price a set of non-resonated center pipes. Do you recall how much it costs for just this section?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ah, now I understand. If it were me QW (and bearing in mind that I'm pretty horrifically dangerous with any kind of tool), I'd absolutely just purchase the Milltek non-res sections and save myself a lot of hassle (and injury.....).

From memory, the non-res section was pretty inexpensive - somewhere around the £150 mark I think?

Actually, thinking about it - probably a lot for a bit of hollow pipe but seemed quite reasonable at the time....... ;-)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
From memory, the non-res section was pretty inexpensive - somewhere around the £150 mark I think?
That sounds about right. I had £200 on my mind when I saw that but I think I had an oil change or something else done at the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone switched from the resonated system to non-resonated? Any feedback? Any regrets?

In looking at the following picture, I don't think I will have room (given the post-resonator bend) to flange the resonator and swap it back if I don't like it:

Thoughts?
I know this thread is a few years old now, but did you ever go through with it?
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, I just got quoted £360 incl VAT to do just that. (includes putting straight pipes through where the resonator will be deleted)

Does this price sound about right? I read somewhere else that they paid $100 (£80~) to get it removed. Not sure if that included replacing the resonators with straight pipes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know this thread is a few years old now, but did you ever go through with it?
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, I just got quoted £360 incl VAT to do just that. (includes putting straight pipes through where the resonator will be deleted)

Does this price sound about right? I read somewhere else that they paid $100 (£80~) to get it removed. Not sure if that included replacing the resonators with straight pipes.
Hi. i bought a used non res section from fleabay for £160 and £120 fitting, worth every single penny!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. i bought a used non res section from fleabay for £160 and £120 fitting, worth every single penny!!!!
Thanks! I went to a shop and they quoted me £120 to remove the res and put straight pipes.
However I ended up doing more than just that...removed the mufflers too. And oh. my. god.

It sounds BEASTLY.
I thought it would make your ears bleed or deaf...but its nowhere near that. It's loud, but not too loud - sounds just perfect.

I'm not sure if he kept the resonators and just got rid of the silences or got rid of both -will have to have a look underneath. I did feel slightly bad cutting through my milltek mufflers though..(they were on the car when I bought them)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have Milltek RESONATED and it might be too quiet.

If I wanted it to NON resonated, I can have shop just cut off the resonator, attached straight pipe there and keep the resonator (if I want to revert back)?

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can do that , or if you want a bit more sound but not to much,you can remove the front resonator and fit a milltek X pipe which will also help improve gas flow .

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can do that , or if you want a bit more sound but not to much,you can remove the front resonator and fit a milltek X pipe which will also help improve gas flow .
Ohh. How many resonators does the resonated milltek have? Is there a front and center one?

I had previously (on another s5) a non-resonated and liked it, but thought it was a bit too loud sometimes in 6th gear. If the FRONT resonator were removed and x pipe placed, would it be an in between loudness sound of non res and resonated?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The resonated milltek has downpipes that go into a front resonator. That then goes into a central resonator which then joins up to the 2 back mufflers.
I did speak to milltek before I bought the x pipe and the info they gave me was bang on.
Resonated has more noise than stock and replacing the front resonator with the x pipe only increased the sound slightly .
However the whine from the supercharger has increased and the sound now is just what I wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
The resonated milltek has downpipes that go into a front resonator. That then goes into a central resonator which then joins up to the 2 back mufflers.
I did speak to milltek before I bought the x pipe and the info they gave me was bang on.
Resonated has more noise than stock and replacing the front resonator with the x pipe only increased the sound slightly .
However the whine from the supercharger has increased and the sound now is just what I wanted.
Thanks!!! Do you know the part number for x-pipe?

In your guess, what percent louder would you say x-pipe added versus resonator in place? Just your guess. Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks!!! Do you know the part number for x-pipe?

In your guess, what percent louder would you say x-pipe added versus resonator in place? Just your guess. Thanks!
Hi I got my x pipe from Roadrunner motorsport in Nottingham . Strangely it does not show them on there website currently.
Price is £128 and the sound has gone up by about 5 - 10%

1 - 15 of 15 Posts