Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

I think i have finally 99% decided on the spec of my A5 after visiting 3 dealers. The first 2 hadnt a CLUE and were totally useless and unhelpful. I knew more than them - thanks to this forum :D And they totally dismissed what i was telling them (even though i knew it to be true) and wouldnt even check it out to make sure. They were full off wrong information and wouldnt be told other wise. Totally useless, arrogant and uninterrested in making a sale

The third guy was very helpful and even though he didnt know that AMI was now available without the Sat Nav pack he checked it out to make sure for me and found answers to any other questions i had. Very helpful guy.

Anyway, think i have decided on this.

A5 2.0 (211) Tfsi
S-Line Sports Pack with Cloth / Leather interior
S-Line exterior pack
S5 front Grille - (relatively cheap option and i think its finishes off the car nicely)
AMI (without Sat Nav)
Audi Parking System Plus
Audi Hold Assist

Maybe Anti-theft Alarm - what do you think ?

Xenons and DRLs are standard in Ireland. He also said the leather covered multi-function steering wheel and sports seats are now standard in Ireland too which i didnt know

Not sure of the colour yet. Every pic of Quartz Grey i see looks sexy but i saw an A4 (i think, cant really remember) in Quartz in the showroom and it didnt look anything special - just an off Silver.

The Meteor grey looked nice in the swatches and they had a Dolphin Grey S3 there that he said was just a touch lighter than the Meteor Grey. I liked the Dolphin Grey but am not sold on the Meteor grey pics i have seen. Plus if its hard to keep clean i might as well go for black (but i dont want the hassel of trying to keep that clean :D)

He also said that Avus silver has been replaced buy some other silver for the s-line. Sorry, i cant think of the name he called it but its slightly lighter and bluer than quartz from the swatch he showed me

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Savo

Looks like a nice spec, you'll not be disappointed.

First off, the 2.0T (211) is a fabulous engine. And I can say that after only around 500 miles. A great blend of power and economy especially if you're doing less than 15000 miles a year.

As for spec:

DRLs - you're lucky they're standard. Up here they're an extra on 4 cylinder cars but I didn't consider them worth £750
19" Y alloys - I spent my budget on these instead and have no regrets. With sports suspension they give the car a squat and purposeful appearance, much better than the 18" wheels. I've no complaits about the ride quality - and you know what our roads can be like.
Sat Nav - no need in Ireland, north or south. You can get a great map for a tenner and you'll get nothing back on resale here as it's not valued in Ireland.
Cruise control - ditto in Ireland - we've no roads long enough to justify it. I had it in a previous car and only ever used it on holiday in France.
Hill hold assist - great. Can't imagine life without it now.
B&O - I love my music but I'm not a connoiseur. The standard system is as good as the B&O system I had in my previous car. And therw's no need to spend money on a six-CD system if you've got the SD card slot on your system (now standard on UK-spec cars). I can get 35+ albums on a single 4 GB SD card (there's a thread with full details of this which is v helpful).
Parking system plus - haven't bumped into anything yet. But I wouldn't leave the driveway without the rear sensors.
Pale leather - I've got the Star Silver Valcona. It looks brilliant and so far I've no complaints - but I'm hyper about passengers, especially my teenage offspring and their friends.
Heated seats - had it in my last car and used it about three times in four years.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Savo

Looks like a nice spec, you'll not be disappointed.

First off, the 2.0T (211) is a fabulous engine. And I can say that after only around 500 miles. A great blend of power and economy especially if you're doing less than 15000 miles a year.

As for spec:

DRLs - you're lucky they're standard. Up here they're an extra on 4 cylinder cars but I didn't consider them worth £750
19" Y alloys - I spent my budget on these instead and have no regrets. With sports suspension they give the car a squat and purposeful appearance, much better than the 18" wheels. I've no complaits about the ride quality - and you know what our roads can be like.
Sat Nav - no need in Ireland, north or south. You can get a great map for a tenner and you'll get nothing back on resale here as it's not valued in Ireland.
Cruise control - ditto in Ireland - we've no roads long enough to justify it. I had it in a previous car and only ever used it on holiday in France.
Hill hold assist - great. Can't imagine life without it now.
B&O - I love my music but I'm not a connoiseur. The standard system is as good as the B&O system I had in my previous car. And therw's no need to spend money on a six-CD system if you've got the SD card slot on your system (now standard on UK-spec cars). I can get 35+ albums on a single 4 GB SD card (there's a thread with full details of this which is v helpful).
Parking system plus - haven't bumped into anything yet. But I wouldn't leave the driveway without the rear sensors.
Pale leather - I've got the Star Silver Valcona. It looks brilliant and so far I've no complaints - but I'm hyper about passengers, especially my teenage offspring and their friends.
Heated seats - had it in my last car and used it about three times in four years.

Hope this helps.
Cruise Control is standard here too. Will probably only use it once or twice a year but.....

The star silver interior looks great alright. On looks alone it would be my number one choice but im not the greatest at cleaning out my cars so i think ill have to go with a black interior :D

Havent got to try out the 2.0Ltr yet so im buying blind but its great to read these reassuring posts. So far i have only driven the 3.0Tdi

The 19" wheels look great alright. The S-line pack comes with 18s. I like the 18s too and with the suspension lowered it might be just right. The 19s are great too and i keep going back and forth on weather to splash out the extra for them. Its a tough one.

For music, yeah i think ill just stick with the standard radio. It comes with an aux-in now so i wont need SD cards or cds. I can just use my MP3 player plus the AMI now doesnt require the nav package so i can plug my MP3player in the glove compartment and cycle through the 100's of cds on the monitor in the dash. Hope it works as well in practice as its supposed to

Cant decide on the colour of the car though. Thats probably going to be the toughest part (aside from the 3-4 month wait !!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Whats the AMI? (excuse my ignorance)

Also can you get the S5 grille retro fitted?

I order my 3.0TDI sport TIP with the 19" Y and front parking sensor - collecting supposedly on the 23rd Oct (although Audi have now put that back a week)

cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats the AMI? (excuse my ignorance)

Also can you get the S5 grille retro fitted?

I order my 3.0TDI sport TIP with the 19" Y and front parking sensor - collecting supposedly on the 23rd Oct (although Audi have now put that back a week)

cheers
AMI is Audi Music Interface. You can plug your ipod or any mp3 player or external hard-drive whatever into the radio in the glove compartment and cycle through the songs and albums etc... with your multi function steering wheel and the artists, songs etc.. appear on the screen in the A5. Basically you put all your music on an mp3 payer, leave it in the glove compartment and cycle through it on your radio as you need them. No need for tons of cds or SD cards in your car. Previously you needed the Sat Nav pack for this option to work but as of 09 you dont so you save yourself approc €4000 here !!

Yeah you can get the S5 grille retro fitted. I'd basically be buying it off my garage and having it fitted after delivery for approx €400 all in

·
Registered
45 Posts
cool - cheers for taking the time to reply to post :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys

I think i have finally 99% decided on the spec of my A5 after visiting 3 dealers. The first 2 hadnt a CLUE and were totally useless and unhelpful. I knew more than them - thanks to this forum :D And they totally dismissed what i was telling them (even though i knew it to be true) and wouldnt even check it out to make sure. They were full off wrong information and wouldnt be told other wise. Totally useless, arrogant and uninterrested in making a sale

The third guy was very helpful and even though he didnt know that AMI was now available without the Sat Nav pack he checked it out to make sure for me and found answers to any other questions i had. Very helpful guy.

Anyway, think i have decided on this.

A5 2.0 (211) Tfsi
S-Line Sports Pack with Cloth / Leather interior
S-Line exterior pack
S5 front Grille - (relatively cheap option and i think its finishes off the car nicely)
AMI (without Sat Nav)
Audi Parking System Plus
Audi Hold Assist

Maybe Anti-theft Alarm - what do you think ?

Xenons and DRLs are standard in Ireland. He also said the leather covered multi-function steering wheel and sports seats are now standard in Ireland too which i didnt know

Not sure of the colour yet. Every pic of Quartz Grey i see looks sexy but i saw an A4 (i think, cant really remember) in Quartz in the showroom and it didnt look anything special - just an off Silver.

The Meteor grey looked nice in the swatches and they had a Dolphin Grey S3 there that he said was just a touch lighter than the Meteor Grey. I liked the Dolphin Grey but am not sold on the Meteor grey pics i have seen. Plus if its hard to keep clean i might as well go for black (but i dont want the hassel of trying to keep that clean :D)

He also said that Avus silver has been replaced buy some other silver for the s-line. Sorry, i cant think of the name he called it but its slightly lighter and bluer than quartz from the swatch he showed me
Hi Savo.

Avus Silver has been replaced by "Monza Silver" on the S-Line (at least in the US. I had an 08 S-line in Avus Silver on order but got bumped to an 09 which came in the Monza Silver. I actually like the Monza Silver better than the Avus now that I have it. Good decision on the Sat Nav, I got it but not really impressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
S-Line & Alloys

Hi Savo,

I am new here, but will be awaiting the delivery of my 2.0T Quattro A5 in just a few weeks!

I was in the same boat as you back in June when I ordered... the colour... I went with Quartz Grey and Linnen Beige interior. I saw Meteor Grey 'in the flesh' one day and with a few layers of grime on it, it quickly loses it's sheen... there is also a tint of green in it - not that it's not a nice colour but just not my cup of tea!

Mine will have the 19" Y-design alloys and S-Line exterior pack... the exterior pack adds all the nice trimmings to the outside but doesn't change anything on the inside and the susp is not lowered, but with the 19" wheels it shouldn't make too much of a difference :) ... it also worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than getting the full s-line pack! :)

Which dealer are you going through? I went through Sheehy Motors in Carlow - excellent service and professionalism.

D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Savo,

The 3-4 month wait is a killer. I am picking mine up this Friday after an eternity. I went with Meteor Grey, sunroof, AMI with interior and exterior S-line spec.

Have you included the bluetooth prep?

I had ordered the 1.8T and a month later the 2.0 was offered on the market. Would have preferred the 2litre.

I picked up a pair of S5 mirror caps which my dealer is fitting. Got these through another forum member. Also picked up a pair of Audi chrome tail pipes which look good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Savo,

I am new here, but will be awaiting the delivery of my 2.0T Quattro A5 in just a few weeks!

I was in the same boat as you back in June when I ordered... the colour... I went with Quartz Grey and Linnen Beige interior. I saw Meteor Grey 'in the flesh' one day and with a few layers of grime on it, it quickly loses it's sheen... there is also a tint of green in it - not that it's not a nice colour but just not my cup of tea!

Mine will have the 19" Y-design alloys and S-Line exterior pack... the exterior pack adds all the nice trimmings to the outside but doesn't change anything on the inside and the susp is not lowered, but with the 19" wheels it shouldn't make too much of a difference :) ... it also worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than getting the full s-line pack! :)

Which dealer are you going through? I went through Sheehy Motors in Carlow - excellent service and professionalism.

D
Hey. Im still stuck between Quartz and Meteor, I saw a Meteor one yesterday and i liked it. A lot of the pics of see of the Quartz are really nice too. Sometimes i just wonder if its a bit too silver in real life ? (I havent seen an A5 in Quartz yet)

I like those 19"s a lot. Was thinking of upgrading the 18"s to 19"s but i like the 18s too was im not sure if im willing to spend the extra on the 19"s. We's see though

Im getting mine through Blackwater Motors in Cork. They were really helpful and professional. The other 2 dealers i went to were absolutely useless. There was no way i was buying a car off either of them !

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Savo,

The 3-4 month wait is a killer. I am picking mine up this Friday after an eternity. I went with Meteor Grey, sunroof, AMI with interior and exterior S-line spec.

I had ordered the 1.8T and a month later the 2.0 was offered on the market. Would have preferred the 2litre.

I picked up a pair of S5 mirror caps which my dealer is fitting. Got these through another forum member. Also picked up a pair of Audi chrome tail pipes which look good.
Hey. Yeah the 3-4 month wait is going to drive me crazy !! I have no holidays or anything to break it up either so its going to be a killer !!

I didnt get the blue-tooth prep. Maybe i should but i dont use my phone that much when driving so i didnt bother. If i drove more for work then i definately would but....

I was thinking about those chrome tail pipes too. Think they'll look really good. How much are they going to set you back roughly (if you dont mind me asking ?)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Savo,

I got my dealer to order them. I was told the cost was €73 but they threw them in for nothing yesterday.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was thinking about those chrome tail pipes too. Think they'll look really good. How much are they going to set you back roughly (if you dont mind me asking ?)
Currently a couple of sets on ebay as buy it now items (not mine) and are going for £65 including delivery (just search under Audi A5). Recon your dealer should throw them into the deal anyway.

What kind of discount have you discussed / achieved?

I successfully used a quote from Autobytel to beat down the dealer i went with. Got just under 8% so its worth trying (with a £500 deposit). The car market is in a poor state at the moment so a great time for you to be placing your order.

Your spec looks good. Get a good discount and you may be able to afford the things you were in two minds about because of the extra cost! :D

Glenn

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Savo,

I got my dealer to order them. I was told the cost was €73 but they threw them in for nothing yesterday.
Cool. I'll have to print this off to show my dealer :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Currently a couple of sets on ebay as buy it now items (not mine) and are going for £65 including delivery (just search under Audi A5). Recon your dealer should throw them into the deal anyway.

What kind of discount have you discussed / achieved?

I successfully used a quote from Autobytel to beat down the dealer i went with. Got just under 8% so its worth trying (with a £500 deposit). The car market is in a poor state at the moment so a great time for you to be placing your order.

Your spec looks good. Get a good discount and you may be able to afford the things you were in two minds about because of the extra cost! :D

Glenn
I have to go up maybe next week and finalise my spec with the dealer and talk about price. He also said he cant take my car as a trade in at the moment because its an '06 and they cant get rid of all their 06 and 07 cars so i might have to pay all cash. Surely if im paying all cash i can get him to knock a bit off the price or throw in one or two things - especially as he doesnt have another car to either sell or depreciate on his lot so its perfect for him

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have to go up maybe next week and finalise my spec with the dealer and talk about price. He also said he cant take my car as a trade in at the moment because its an '06 and they cant get rid of all their 06 and 07 cars so i might have to pay all cash. Surely if im paying all cash i can get him to knock a bit off the price or throw in one or two things - especially as he doesnt have another car to either sell or depreciate on his lot so its perfect for him
Savo, I fully reccomed you go onto the Autobytel web site. This has a car cost calculator (build up your options list etc) and compares the car price they will sell to you at -vs- standard list price. Autobytel use Audi Stockport to supply and once they introduce you to Audi Stockport they step back from the deal. I achieved around a 7% discount from autobytel but was then able to get a further improved deal elswhere. The point is you should use autobytel as the benchmark, print out and take to your dealer.

If your dealer wont budge, I would consider looking elswhere. The more toys you can buy with the discount the better!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Savo! You will have to make a decision at some stage, if you like both then flip a coin to decide... if you are not happy with the decision then it's the other colour you really prefer :)

Ge the s-line exterior pack, it doesn't tie you down to any particular wheel because it's only the exterior styling of the full s-line pack, and then you can then upgrade the crappy standard wheels to the 19"s :)

I spoke to the Cork dealer too but Sheehy's in Carlow had already beaten his lower offer... they are also taking my wife's 2002 Peugeot 206 as a trade in at a hugely overvalued price so it is bringing down the cost of my car, she's now getting my '07 Octavia VRS so she's not complaining!

You may want to contact Don Manley in Sheehy Motors just to get an idea of what he could offer on the price if you haven't already put your order in, they were about €1000 cheaper than any other dealer in the country, and the guy from Blackwater Motors told me he couldn't beat the price, if it'a a genuine offer he said I should go for it... Difference between highest quote and his was about €4000 - better off in my pocket!!
:)

Tell him that I told you to contact him! It may result in you getting a better price, and he may throw in an extra for me :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Savo,

Bite-Me... when did you order your car? I ordered on 22nd June but the car was already available for about 3 weeks at that stage. First dealer I went into didn't even have the tech specs on the 2-litre, he had to get them from Audi HO, and even they only had them in German! Maybe you can change your order of it's not too late...

NEW! Sorry, my attention to detail is scrapped! Just realised you are picking up the car on Friday... don't foget to post pics! I almost went for Meteor Grey..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Savo, I fully reccomed you go onto the Autobytel web site. This has a car cost calculator (build up your options list etc) and compares the car price they will sell to you at -vs- standard list price. Autobytel use Audi Stockport to supply and once they introduce you to Audi Stockport they step back from the deal. I achieved around a 7% discount from autobytel but was then able to get a further improved deal elswhere. The point is you should use autobytel as the benchmark, print out and take to your dealer.

If your dealer wont budge, I would consider looking elswhere. The more toys you can buy with the discount the better!!!!
Hi Glenn,

I am going for a test drive in an A5 on Sunday and I am looking at ordering a a 180PS Multitronic A5 for 09 plate and currently have a 06 plate A3 2.0 TDI S Line DSG. As I am likely to be offered a poor part exchange price I obviously want to get as much discount on the new A5 as possible.

I bought the A3 through drivethedeal.com and got just under 10% off. They are currently offering the A5 at approx 8% off and was wondering what you have managed to achieve (feel free to pm me if you prefer). Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.